“Good traditional pub grub”
Review of Half Moon Pub

Half Moon Pub
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Northchapel
Half Moon Pub
Ranked #1 of 1 Northchapel B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Popped in for lunch on a grey, wet weekday lunchtime. The pub is easy to find with the red tractor outside, and there's ample parking. The building itself is quaint both inside and out, with the usual odd assortment of paraphernalia adorning the walls and ceilings, as well as wood beams and a roaring open fire. The pub was quiet, but then on a dreary weekday lunchtime just after New Year, it was hardly surprising. This is a Greene King establishment so there were only two ales on offer during my visit, but the Rocking Rudolph (GK's version of Hardys & Hansons 4.2% Christmas ale) was well kept and pretty tasty.

Lunch consisted of a bowl of 'Texas Chilli' for myself which tasted fine and had a pleasant spicy heat to it, and was plenty sufficient in size for me. My friend opted for the the home made burger which was adorned with char-grilled onion and peas. Both dishes were accompanied with salads that included celery & carrots as well as the typical ingredients, and were thankfully not drowned in dressing as so many pubs seem to insist on these days. We were also provided with a huge dish of chips and offered a selection of sauces if we wished.

Service was friendly and quick and the whole lunch, while certainly not fine-dining, was substantial and enjoyable. I would certainly pop in again if in the area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank AtEaseSoldier

Reviewed November 16, 2012

This has got to be the worst place I have ever had a pub meal.The fish was minced and the Barman even complained when i ordered that he had to put the fat fryer on.
And as for the thing in the corner ......

Room Tip: Please avoid .
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank laura r
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have visited a number of times both to drink and to eat. The food has always been good and in quite large portions so if you are feeling a bit hungry a good place to go. A good landlord and lady and great bar staff. The decor is unusual with loads of interesting things hanging from the beams so if you go with someone boring at least you have somethign to look at. The open fire helps makes it feel homely. This is what pubs were all like many years ago. I am pleased to say this one has survived.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank BadgersFriend
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We visited the pub after a lovely day at West Wittering. There were 12 of us all together and ordered lots of food, 3 x fish and chips, steak, 2 x steak and kidney pie, lamb, spag bol etc. The food appeared: frozen cod and chips is really expensive at nearly 10 pounds and to make matters worse, a hair was found on the chips. We reported this and were met with a very rude reply. Another hair was found in the peas accompanying the steak and kidney pie. Again this was reported, but the waitress, again made extremely rude comments. Please avoid this pub at all costs. There is no customer service, the food is really expensive and the staff rude beyond words. It spoilt our day!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank bubbly659
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I visited the pub yesterday for Sunday lunch, and as a group we ordered 3 fish and chips and 1 scampi and chips.

The food took about 25 minutes from ordering and on first glances looked OK. I then asked the bar for some sauces ( they where not offered when the food was served ). The kitchen took 5 minutes to bring the comdements, apparently the kitchen was closed???

The cod was obviously not battered on sight and had just been pulled out the freezer ( not something you expect for £9.50 ). I started eating the cod and it was obviously cold and raw all the way through. This was the same for all of the other cod meals.

I immediately went to the bar to complain and they land lady offered to refund the meals. I was happy with this so we finished our drinks and went to the bar.

At the bar they refunded my meal and then the others went and asked for their refund and the land lady looked at them in the eyes and said 'Just Get Out...' we where all totallly shocked. The girls walked out, obviously very upset about what had been said.

This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I would advise ANYONE to avoid this pub at all costs!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2012
4  Thank MChiro
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed here many times in the purpose built accomodation block. I understand that there are rooms available upstairs in the pub as well.

The pub is approximately 500 years old and full of character and has a roaring real log fire.

Ideally located for Goodwood.

The food is excellent, with massive portions and sensibly priced.

Room Tip: The accomodation block is relatively new and is outside the actual pub if you want to get your head...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Philguildford
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Have been here half a dozen times over the last year or so and we think it is great. There is a pool table, dart board, i believe i saw some board games, but don't quote me on that and a nice outside area and garden for the children. I don't think I have been to a pub with so many nick-nacks on the walls. Old woodworking tools, metal soldiers hats, Glorious Goodwood tickets, old photos of the pub, etc., low ceilings and beams adorn the 3 internal areas of the pub creating a real atmosphere. Nowadays, I believe it is called "mood" lighting, but in this case it is just because it is old!! Food is great simple pub grub all made to order in the kitchen by, in our experience, either the landlord or lady. I had a brace of mackerel, others had stilton salads, etc., washed down with a couple of local ales (Langham and W J King). Just right for an afternoon snack. Now don't pop in here if you are expecting, waiters with starched aprons providing silver service and modern dining experience. If however, you want to step back in time with some real ale and traditional pub cooked by the person who has just pulled your pint, this is the place to go. Just look out for the red tractor as you are passing. A real gem

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank noodlesausage

Been to Half Moon Pub? Share your experiences!