“Wedding at Chapters - wonderful experience, fabulous day” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chapters Hotel and Restaurant

Chapters Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stokesley
Middlesbrough
“Wedding at Chapters - wonderful experience, fabulous day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

We got married at Chapters on 19th May 2012 and were delighted with the hotel, staff and food.

Rachel is the wedding organiser and she could not have been more helpful. We emailed her so many times about every element of the wedding and she was professional and friendly and a delight to deal with. We really must have driven her mad with questions. She was there all afternoon during the wedding to make sure everything ran smoothly. Victor and Victoria run the hotel (Victoria is the chef) and they were both very helpful and lovely people to deal with from a customer's perspective.

Unfortunately we chose the coldest May day for 300 years as our wedding day. We had wanted a venue with some outside space and gardens which Chapters offered but we were unable to take advantage of the gardens due to the amount of rain that we had had in the days and weeks leading up to the wedding. The ceremony was conducted in the restaurant (bistro?) at the rear of the hotel and after the ceremony we moved outside under a canopied area with patio heaters for drinks and canapes while the restaurant was set up for the wedding breakfast. In our opinion the only improvement that could have been made to our day was that perhaps the hotel could have provided some kind of decorations out there to make it more 'weddingy'. We would have been happy to pay an extra fee for this if it had been offered and on reflection we should have probably suggested this or asked if we could have done something out there ourselves. We have just returned from our honeymoon in Turkey and while we were there we watched a wedding take place at the hotel. The hotel there put up lots of kind of white netting tied into bows to make the area look pretty in a very inexpensive way and perhaps Chapters could consider something like this for future weddings. It would also take guests eyes away from the fact that the white canopy is quite badly marked despite the hotel's best efforts to clean it. This is the ONLY thing that could be improved on during an otherwise perfect day.

The food was the star of the show. Every guest we spoke to commented on how wonderful it was. The beef wellington melted in your mouth and the halibut was simply gorgeous and as fot the starters and desserts - divine! The service was probably the best we have experienced even just going out for dinner let alone for a wedding party with approximately 40 guests.

In the evening Chapters provided the singer Val Boyers as entertainment while people had a buffet hog roast meal (again the food was superb). Val was lovely and has a great voice and she started her set about 30 mins earlier than we expected which was perfect. We then had a DJ - again he was great and the music he played was exactly what we had asked him for.

We stayed in a complimentary room at the front of the hotel with a wonderful shower. The next morning ourselves and number of our other guests who had stayed over had a fabulous breakfast - again with impeccable service. The staff here work very hard and are totally unobtrusive and have clearly been very well trained and it shows.

All in all we would highly recommend Chapters as a wedding venue for a smaller wedding. As mentioned we had 40 guests during the day and about 70 in the evening all of whom told us what a great time they had and what a good choice4 the venue was. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts Chapters.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 1 at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jdaviesMiddlesbrough
stevenharry, Owner at Chapters Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Hello Mr & Mrs Davies

Thank you so much for your kind words relating to your recent wedding here at Chapters. We pride ourselves on good feedback and value our customers opinions and have passed your positive comments to the relevant staff and also to Val, who we do enjoy having here.

I have heard from the team that it was a fantastic day, shame about cold weather - it is one thing we cannot help with - but I was told you didn't let the cold weather affect you enjoying your special day.

We have taken your comments on board regarding the "Weddingy" themed decorations for outside and the canopy and are going to look into this to see what service we can offer (or even look for an external company for whom we can hire them for functions) and also we are looking into solving the situation about the canopy, I know you were aware of our original plans falling through - thank you for this feedback.

From myself, Victor and Victoria, we really do appreciate this feedback and hope that your special day will be remembered fondly.

Steven Bell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

Like the previous reviewers, my boyfriend and I took advantage of the gourmet night package at chapters.

We had a lovely stay...our room was at the front of the hotel and although a little bit dated, it is in keeping with the age and style of the building so we found it charming.

The included dinner and breakfast in the bistro were both of an excellent standard and all the staff we encountered during our stay were very friendly and professional.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again or recommend the hotel to others. The gourmet night is a wonderful idea - perfect for a romantic night away or a special occasion!

Location wise, the hotel is in a lovely position in the centre of stokesley on a street with some great independant little shops and boutiques. There is also a nice pub just down the road where we enjoyed an excellent sunday dinner before we drove home.

• Stayed June 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
stevenharry, Owner at Chapters Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear Sel2223

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your stay here at Chapter's Hotel, we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed yourselves.

We pride ourselves on feedback and do appreciate when guests take time to reflect on their stay, I have forwarded your comments through to all the staff..

We hope that we will see you again in the near future

Steven Bell
Hartlepool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

My boyfriend took me to Chapters for a surprise night away for my Birthday at the beginning of April and I have to say I was not disappointed whatsoever!

He took advantage of the gourmet night special package, which included a bottle of chilled sparkling wine and petit fours in our room when we arrived. These were great! We stayed in room 1 which was lovely, nicely decorated.

The package also included a three course evening meal for two in their restaurant. The food was to a very high standard and tasted amazing. The service was excellent, staff very attentive without being intrusive.

I had the Double Baked Cheese Souffle to start followed by the Slow Cooked Belly Pork and then for dessert I opted for a selection of sorbets as I needed a light dessert because the previous two courses had me beat. The sorbets i had were strawberry and sour cherry and amaretto, the cherry one was the best i've ever tasted.

My boyfriend had Carpaccio of Neasham Grange Farm Grand Reserve Beef followed by the oven baked Seabass and then he had a deconstructed banoffee tart for dessert. He throughly enjoyed it!

After our meal we took a bottle of wine back to our room rather than head to the bar, although if and when we come back to starters we will next time sample the cocktails on offer from the bar.

Breakfast was very nice too and on checkout we were given a free bottle of wine for completing a questionnaire, great!

Overall, excellent all round, my only complaint was the floors are very creaky and the room above us was very noisy moving around at 7am, other than that, we will most definitely be back.

Room Tip: Try and book an executive room if you can and take advantage of the gourmet night special package!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
stevenharry, Owner at Chapters Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear AHall3519

Thank you so much for your fantastic review here for Chapters Hotel - we pride ourselves on great feedback and it is brilliant when we receive reviews from guests such as yourselves

The Gourmet Night Special is such a popular promotion here at Chapters with our guests, that it is great to have testimonials such as this to promote to others

We have passed your comments to the whole team and we especially look forward to seeing you once again at Chapters in the near future

Once again thank you
from
Myself (Steven Bell, owner), Victor (General Manager), Victoria (Head Chef) and the rest of the team at Chapters
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed over for the second time this year. I can honestly say on both occasions we wereextreamally pleased with the rooms, service, the evening meal and breakfast.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone. We had a lovely evening meal scallops starter followed by trio of lamb and trio chocolate dessert was to die for.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
stevenharry, Owner at Chapters Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear Alibingo

Thank you so much for your review of your stay here at Chapter's Hotel.

We pride ourselves on receiving feedback from our customers and we do thank you for taking the time to complete this.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed yourself so much that you have been twice and enjoyed both occasions and we look forward to see you again in the near future!

Best of Regards

Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed here in Mid March and found the staff at the hotel to be first class, the service was nothing short of excellent and the food was to a very high standard. Portions were the size I would have expected for a Restaurant of this quality not over-large but adequate for the number of courses.
For starters I had carpaccio of beef and my wife had scallops, mine very good and my wife’s was equally good, although she felt she would have preferred a 'zingier' accompaniment than the cauliflower puree but very enjoyable non-the-less.
For the main course we both had the Lamb (three cuts) with a small shepherd’s pie which was superb, we ordered extra vegetables but they really weren’t necessary
I am not a pudding/sweet fan however the pistachio and olive oil cake I had was heavenly, certainly one of the most un-expected and delightful dishes I have ever had. My wife had the banoffee ‘pie’ which surprised by not being a pie at all and was in fact a selection of deserts with a banoffee theme she was entirely delighted with it.
We never had to ask for our glasses to be re-charged at any point, as the ever attentive staff made sure we were kept topped up, but not in any way overbearing. Victor, Adam and the staff made our meal and indeed our stay very pleasant indeed.
Afterwards we ‘retired’ to the bar, where the barman Chris looked after us, Chris was very diligent and proficient and made us feel very welcome. When asked why we had chosen chapters we mentioned that it was a Birthday treat for my wife, Victoria sent out a plate of beautifully presented petit fours.
Victoria came out afterwards to talk to each of the clients and to ask our thoughts on the food. A nice touch I thought, as often you don’t get to meet the chef. Good that she took the time to ask and care what we thought. It was a pleasure to meet her and all the staff, they truly made our stay very special and we felt they were genuinely interested in what we thought and that our custom was important to them.
The following day, Adam served us breakfast and once again proved to be an admirable host. The breakfast menu has something to suit everyone but I can certainly recommend the full Yorkshire breakfast .
Our room was small and basic but it was clean,comfortable and had everything we needed you would miss a treat if you let the room size put you off this little gem of a hotel.
Just when I had given up on anywhere being able to provide quality service anymore, we found Chapters, I very gratefully eat my words.
You might think this is suspiciously glowing report, but rest assured I and my wife are genuine clients with no connection to Chapters, they earned this accolade from us.
I’m sure we’ll be back. Thanks to everyone at Chapters,

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
stevenharry, Owner at Chapters Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
Dear ravenousenglishman

We have passed your comments to each of the staff mentioned and we especially look forward to seeing you once again at Chapters in the near future

Once again thank you
from
North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

We ate here the other evening making full use of the early evening menu!! We ALL had a superb meal and thoroughly enjoyed both the food and excellent service. Definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
stevenharry, Owner at Chapters Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Dear Toyotaverso

Thank you for taking your time to review your last visit at Chapters

Victor and Victoria are pleased to be back and love when customers let them know that they enjoy their experiences here

We hope to see you again soon

Owner
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We were so pleased that we chose to stay at Chapters; all was so perfect that there is nothing else we can add and look forward to staying again.

Room Tip: Book direct with Hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Thomas M

Thank you for your review of your stay here at Chapter's Hotel.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed yourself so much and also over the moon to hear you will be returning - we hope to see you soon!

Best of Regards

(Owner)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stokesley
Gisborough Hall Hotel
#1 of 5 in Saltburn-by-the-Sea
The Treebridge Hotel
The Treebridge Hotel
#5 of 11 in Middlesbrough

Been to Chapters Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!