“Good Value on Gourmet Night - Solid 3 star experience”

Chapters Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stokesley
UK
“Good Value on Gourmet Night - Solid 3 star experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

We stayed on a Gourmet night £159 inc Exec room, 3 course dinner and breakfast with a bottle of very drinkable spakling wine in your room on arrival. The room was clean and comfortable and could probably do with a refurb, but adequate for a 1 nights stay. Dinner was good, with the Main and dessert being the best parts, not sure i would have been happy to pay £9 for prawns for starter, these were a bit geasy, but ok.
Parking could be a problem here during the week, ok for us as we were here on a Sat night, with no restrictions for parking on a sunday. Breakfast was good, although if i was been picky I would advise the hotel to serve better Orange Juice !.

Overall, I think that they offer good VFM ,as long as you go on the Gourmet deal, which once you tak the cost of the average dinner (£35 a head) and a bottle of decent sparkling wine out, you will work out that the room costs less than £80 for 2 inc breakfast.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brucie33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2011

My wife and I attended a special Burns evening celebration at Chapters. We were greeted with a piper and a celebratory drink before joining a party of sixteen people to sample whisky, wine and food. From start to finish the service was excellent prompt, attentive and friendly without being in your face. The food as always was excellently and originally prepared. Infused with sophisticated, subtle and surprising flavour combinations gently probing some of established culinary boundaries. (Haggis tartlets - Superb) Chapters had arranged for a master somellier and a whiskey connoisseur to challenge each other to produce wines and whiskys to serve with the meal. The resulting light hearted competition was educational and enjoyable and complimented the food perfectly. There is nothing better than good food, good drink and good company for a perfect evening out. Chapters delivered once again and proved why they are annual award winners of the Hambleton Best restaurant competition. I will be a regular at their wine evenings from now on.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

Booked an executive room with evening meal and breakfast included, at a cost of £159.00. Room was ok but not to the standard that I have come to expect with executive rooms......No mats on bathroom floor made it very slippy when getting out of the shower. Shower was balanced on the rail, which fell off. Meal was nice, and the staff helpfull. We were in room 2 on the front of the hotel and were woken at 5.30am by market traiders putting up the stalls. (fri am) There is only so many times they could drop poles but they still were making a noise when we went down for breakfast at 8.30am. We were also woken up at 7am by reception asking were we'd parked the car, somthing we had told the reception on arrival. At breakfast we asked for tea and coffee with our breakfast, we had finished eating before it arrived, full english but no toast was brought either.....Glad to get home and have some sleep......

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suzz97
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2011

It was my mother's 80th birthday on 3 January and a party of 18 family and friends went to the restaurant for lunch.
The quality of the food was very poor.
The starter of goats cheese tart was a combination of a burnt-but cold- pastry case, goats cheese that had been barely cooked, cold tomatoes, marinated in oil, but so hard they were inedible.
I had the main course of chicken and the sauce it was served with was tasteless. It was also served with a single sprout, inside which contained something that had been finely diced - I am not sure what is was but I am sure that it was cold. Finally, the potatoes and vegetables were awful!
My wife had the sea-bass-again cold and very disappointing.
The service was poor and there was an endless delay between the serving of the first main course to one of our party and the last.
Dessert was a chocolate pot. It had a fancy description which made it sound as if it was going to be good.The reality was that it was bland. It could, and should, have been so much better. It was of the same standard as the first two courses I endured.
Chapters should be ashamed and embarassed by the quality of the food served to our party.

Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2011

This is a review of the bistro only.

My partner hails from this area and I understand that Chapters Restaurant is well established and highly reputable. However, given my recent experience of dining there, I would suggest that it has become somewhat complacent and relies on its reputation for custom, rather than the standard of the food or service.

We (a party of eight) were booked in to dine at 9pm on a Saturday night. When we arrived at the restaurant, it was very busy with several groups waiting in the bar area. Time passed, and one of the groups left, sick of the wait. We were eventually seated at about 10pm, rather annoyed that at no point did we receive an apology or explanation for the long wait.

The food we ate was decidedly average and overpriced. I order venison for my main course and was told it would come 'fairly pink' which was fine as I like my meat rare. However, when it came there was no pink visible and the meat was rather overcooked. Although the food was satisfactory, it was certainly nothing special and left me feeling slightly disappointed given the reputation of the establishment.

We complained at the end of our meal about the long wait and lack of explanation we had experienced when we arrived and, to be fair to the maitre d', he did then apologise, explaining that they had been extremely busy, and offering us a complimentary round of drinks as compensation.

Overall, it was a very average experience and I will not be in a hurry to return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2011

The food was diabolical . The service was Inept .
This is a place best avoided.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 186340Julie
stevenharry, Owner at Chapters Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
Julie
please would you email me personally to discuss.
we have won Flavours of Hambelton Best Restaurant of the year four years running and this year Outsatnding achievements award 2010 .
We pride ourself on Great Food and service.
I have tried emailing you on several occassion to find out more detail
What day was it. Was it lunch time or evening this would help match our daily log
,I do get a daily report from the team at Chapters If any customer has a comment or complaint they log it Good or bad .We also have a customer feedback in the hotel rooms that helps us monitor service and standards .
We appreciate people taking the time to send us their experience .
without more detail we cannot learn from it
Steven
France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2011

I visited this area for the first time last week and would definitely go back- next time with my husband for a sybaritic weekend. Hotel is perfectly situated for walking the Moors during the day and relaxing with superb food (using the best local ingredients) and some of the best value wines I've tasted outside of France. Staff are helpful (no problem for them to carry my case upstairs as there is no lift) and knowledgeable particularly on the food and matching wines. I felt very comfortable in the room which wasnt huge- therefore nice and cosy in the evening, but great little touches like Molton Brown bath products and some magazines I could read in the bath. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FrenchLinda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stokesley
Wainstones Hotel
The Treebridge Hotel
The Treebridge Hotel
#5 of 11 in Middlesbrough
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Croft Hotel

Been to Chapters Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!