“A quick but much needed break from the city”

The House by the Side of the Road
Ranked #1 of 4 Beamsville B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“A quick but much needed break from the city”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My partner is a real stickler when it comes to finding the right spots when we travel. My partner and I only had a day off work and were able to squeeze in a two night stay at Chris and Larry's warm and welcoming home. They were so gracious about us driving in after 11pm and leaving a few days later at 6am! Chris made SPECTACULAR breakfasts both days and they were both so helpful when it came to planning our bike tour of the wineries.

We are both so excited to have come across this beautiful gem in Beamsville and look forward to many more visits in the near future!

And the puppies!!!!! Oh the puppies!

It already has that home away from home feel for us both - Thank you Chris and Larry!!!!!

-Ioanna and Gavin

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
St. Catharines, ON
Reviewed July 9, 2013

On July 5th and 6th, 2013 (the night before my wedding, and the night of my wedding), I had the pleasure of staying here. My fiance had done endless amounts of research to make sure we were staying in the most suitable place for our needs, so we were confident everything would be great. I could have NEVER expected it to be as amazing as it was. It was an experience and a memory, not just a stay. We were treated like royalty, and the English Manor Suite is one of the nicest, if not the nicest room I have EVER stayed in. Breakfast was indescribable. The grounds, a separate entrance, and ensuite that could fit 10 people. My entire bridal party got ready in the one room and ensuite without ever feeling confined...I could go on and on. But truly just wanted to say that I couldn't recommend this little gem more, and hope to go back every year for our Anniversary. Thank you Monica and Christine!!

Room Tip: Brides - the English Manor Suite is a MUST have!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pinkaingeal
Toronto, ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are very clean and roomy and well appointed and the grounds were lovely. The breakfasts however needed some work. We we travelling with family and for some it was their first B and B experience and we felt that the breakfasts were average. Having been to several b and bs we are used to freshly baked goods and a lot of food. This was not the case and while the food was ok it was not up to B and B standards. The hosts did not make the food and were not around during breakfast (upon arrival the host said that thy were trying a new process for breakfast so we understand that there might be some "growing pains"). Also on the website it was advertised that coffee and or juice tray would be delivered before breakfast but this was not the case. There was also some confusion with billing upon checkout which the owner apologized for but it was confusing.

Overall our experience was ok and as mentioned the rooms were very nice but breakfasts needed some work.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Careergirl_76
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We were looking for a place to relax for a couple of days while visiting the Bench wineries. This B & B was a great find and we would recommend it without hesitation to anyone. We took advantage of the spa on site for a couples' massage. We were very pleased with all aspects of our stay, including very well prepared breakfasts, coffee at our door in the morning and a ride to dinner. This is a great place to get away for a few days.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PRNCSSL
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 8, 2012

My husband and I are regular visitors of this B&B. We used it as a "base" for our wedding back in September and it was fantastic. We made use of the spa downstairs for wedding preparations , it was lovely and a nice way to relax before the big day. The hosts often go out of their way to make your stay amazing. I have stayed in a lot of very high end hotels and the rooms here are just as nice if not nicer, without the ridiculous prices. Watch out for the breakfast, I suggest leaving plenty of room, it's delicious and more food than you can eat :)
I highly recommend this B&B, it is clean, (try sparkling), luxurious and a great location for a winery weekend getaway.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank misslinz
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I spent two nights here in September 2012 and I'm sorry it wasn't longer. Great people, beautiful house, beautiful grounds, the meals were amazing. I cannot say enough about this place. We plan to go back in December for a longer stay.
We only got to visit a few wineries in the area but everyone was most welcoming.
Chris and Larry are great hosts and they will go out of their way to help you.

Room Tip: If you don't want to go upstairs choose the ground level room, the other two are upstairs
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Lawrence R
Halifax, NS
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed here after our wedding at Ball's Falls in Vineland. It took us only about 8 minutes to get there, which was great after a long, tiring day. Our room (French Country) was beautiful and completely ready for us when we checked in in the afternoon. Larry and Chris were friendly and helpful, letting us sleep in and accommodating my wife's food allergies. The breakfast (bacon, eggs to order, toast, potato pancakes and homemade fruit cocktail) was excellent - one of the best we have ever had. We had an amazing stay, and have nothing bad to say about this place!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JS M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beamsville
Jordan House Hotel
Inn On The Twenty
Inn On The Twenty
#1 of 3 in Jordan
Orchard Croft Boutique Country Retreat

Been to The House by the Side of the Road? Share your experiences!