“High standards in this establishment. Excellent.”

Cedar Falls Health Farm and Spa
Reviewed May 6, 2018

Staff excellent , great facilities and clean. Stunning location.
Great golf course. Outside pool and sun terrace.

All reviews
"travelzoo"
"slippers"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed May 2, 2018 via mobile

I stayed for a 2 day 1 night deal.
Good: treatments are good as ever
Breakfast fresh but no skimmed milk
Dinner. Asked for black pepper was told it’s on the table. No - so asked again got a salt grinder. Asked again & got it. Waitress slow and dim sorry. Ordered duck. Got chicken. Sent it back!!!! Oh dear.
Room: had to ask reception for heater/towel rail. Obvious money saving.
Exercise room and Relaxation room NO heating at all. Freezing. Cutting corners when the rates are not cheap. Sad.

Have been here many times but it’s obviously struggling in quiet times. Decor is
Tired and needs upgrading.
Susan the fitness teacher was excellent and I learnt lots of tips. Sadly take up on classes non existent and the walks. Already mentioned the exercise room is not enticing.

The pool area has the same lounger covers on and are not changed during my stay. Tacky.

I see the evening talks are gone but not surprised.

The routine here has been the same for many many years. Time to change and be more imaginative and modern to attract younger people.

2  Thank jo r
Reviewed April 30, 2018 via mobile

We were lucky with the weather especially in April and were able to sit outside and enjoy the extensive gardens. Plenty of treatments to choose from or just relax on the loungers, use the pool, hot tub, sauna or steam room. The food was excellent...delicious and healthy. I stayed in a single room which was compact, but adequate as it was just somewhere to sleep. It was tastefully decorated with luxurious toiletries and a hairdryer. Highly recommend......we'll definitely be going back.

Reviewed March 9, 2018

I have always wanted to visit a Health Spa/Farm and not sure why I haven't at the ripe old age of 44. My husband booked the midweek spa day for us on my birthday. It cost £79 Mon-Fri to use facilities 9am-6pm and this includes robe hire and 3 course buffet lunch. We live in Bristol so not too far, we arrived around 9.30am. Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly receptionist who escorted us to bar/lounge area with complimentry tea & coffee where we had to complete a health questionnaire. Then we were given a tour of facilities. The spa receptionist gave us our towel, robe and locker token so you don't need change for locker. We didn't book any treatments but on the day there was a special offer of a dry float for £10. We spent 2 hrs in the small gym working out. There are 2 cross trainers, 2 tredmills, 1 bike & 1 rowing machine and a few weight machines and free weights. The whole time we were there in gym only 1 other lady came in and ran for a few minutes then left so we had the whole gym to ourselves which was fantastic.

Lunch was anytime between 12.30 - 2pm so we decided to go early at 12.30pm after gym. You can visit the restuarnt in your dressing gown so no need to get re-dressed. A young man (waiter) said we could sit wherever we liked and to help ourselves to soup and buffet. He came to take drink order but didn't give us a drinks menu. The soup was pear and celeriac and it was weird! I'm not actually sure if I liked it, very strong taste of pear and I think a veg soup would have been a better option. There were options of breads and butters (plain, tomatoe, beetroot & spinich). I didn't know butter came in so many different varities! The buffet was a cold selection of salmon, meats, cheeses, salads, quiche, rices, cous cous and vegetables. Very nice indeed and caters for gluten free, vegetarian, vegan etc. There were no mini desserts at the buffet which is a shame. Dessert was offered by waiter and was fresh fruit salad, mango icecream or raspberry sorbet. There were no serviettes on our table so we stole them from next table.

After lunch we visited the spa area which has a pool, steam room, sauna and hot tub. We spent the afternoon in the spa and conservatory area and we only ever saw 5 other people! So fantastic to be able to relax in hot tub all by ourselves. I think due to bad weather (snow) many may have postponed or cancelled and I don't imagine it would be this empty on a typical day. There is water and plastic cups. There is a drinks menu and you need to use the phone and staff will bring drinks to you for a cost. They can't do this between hours of 12-2pm. They add it to your account and you pay at end of day so don't have to carry cash around. The ladies changing room was very clean and smart, showers fantastic but my husband said his changing room was not great. See photo's - shower curtain hanging off of old shower and the changing room was tiny and tired. A complete contrast to ladies changing room and epic electronic showers. There is free wifi in conservatory.

I had a lovely relaxing birthday. I'm not sure why but I actually felt that they could make a few minor changes to make the experience more of a wow factor. For example in the conservatory it would of been nice to offer complimentary tea/coffee and fruit, which is what I expected from a health spa/farm. I also expected more than 1 hot tub and a variety of pools and I disliked the carpet by the pool. Don't get me wrong I did have a great day, for me it just lacked the little extras. The towels are small and kind of rough but you can get a replacement towel. There is no place in changing room to put wet towels so you need to take them out to spa reception and place in laundry basket and take another fresh one. Also you need to buy slippers for £1 or take your own flip flops. This is strange. Why not just include them with the dressing gown/robe or charge £80 instead of £79. The slippers are way too big one size fits all and I tripped in mine twice. The changing rooms although clean lacked products - no hand cream and hairdryers had no end nozzles. There were box of tissues. The showers has 1 soap for body and hair. My locker was also so stiff I had difficulty opening and closing it. The 1 toilet in changing room had a wet floor from people using spa and then toilet.

The sauna and steam room were not hot enough for me and the sauna didn't seem to heat up even if you put water on the stones it produced no steam. My main gripe was that although there were multiple signs about not taking sun loungers outside etc. there were no signs stating please shower after sauna/steam room if you wish to enter pool/hot tub. We witnesses 2 ladies and 1 man exit the sauna and jump straight into the pool and hot tub which is unhygenic.

Overall we had a very good experience and would definitely return.

1  Thank HelenBristol
See more reviews
Reviewed March 2, 2018

A Spa which prides itself on high standards and friendly welcoming staff could not have been further from the truth as the standard generally was poor and some of the staff very miserable and looked like they didn't want to be there themselves.
After travelling a very long way with friends for a special birthday treat, we left feeling utterly disappointed and ripped off quite frankly, given the prices they charge for an overall poor standard of service.

We were greeted with a very harsh faced lady when we asked for our towel and robe, and a smile would have cracked her face. The other lady booking clients in for treatments had very unkempt hands with chipped and worn nail varnish and on some fingers none. For an alleged high class spa and beauty facility this really detracted from our first impressions.
We entered the ladies changing area to be greeted with cobwebs and dirty window ledges, again not a great first impression.
The pool area looked nice but the pool water was extremely cool, so we were unable to stay in there for more than a few minutes.
The hot tub was nice, but only when you could get in there as it was always full, probably because no one was able to use the pool.
The relaxation loungers in the conservatory were all taken as people had reserved them with towels and personal items, which apparently is not allowed, but there was no one there to monitor this.
The pool area was cluttered with dirty cups, saucers and rubbish, ours still left uncleared after 6 hours.
Customer service on the poolside phone when ordering drinks was poor - staff answered the call by stating 'kitchen'. A response like 'thank you for calling the kitchen, how may we help you' would have been nice !
The tea cups that we received to drink from were tea and splash stained and had to be returned, without as much as an apology. Cakes that we ordered to accompany our tea were delivered incorrectly, and had to be changed.
The worst of all, however, was the so called buffet lunch ! Well all I can say is GET THERE EARLY as the food on offer will be completely depleted. Lunch is served from 12.30 - 2pm. We went for lunch at 1.06pm and was greeted by empty plates at the buffet, and when we asked for replacement, some replacement quiche was offered, but we were waiting for hot potatoes. After 10 minutes we asked the waitress how long they would be and she reported that there would not be any!! She didn't have the decency to communicate that with us, given that she was the waitress that we had spoken to.The last thing she said to us was that she would check.
There is more that I could mention, but this should give you an idea of what you are likely to experience. We did feedback all of our concerns in writing only to receive a response basically accusing us of lying about all of the above ! Say no more !!!!
So for £79 all we got was extremely poor service, tired and dated Spa facilities, and a bit of salad which was left at lunchtime !

3  Thank zola149