Cedar Falls Health Farm and Spa
Review Highlights
Relaxation Done Well

Spent 3 days and 2 nights at this health spa recently. Needed a place away from it all where we... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Y1058QQkevinh
via mobile
Birthday Spa weekend

Myself and my mum have been to Cedar Falls several times. It is slightly dated but it's also... read more

Reviewed August 11, 2018
mandyfranklin
Poole, United Kingdom

All reviews drawing room spa area dry towels sauna steam room spa reception enjoyable stay main gripe special offer dry float long driveway michelin star aqua jet facial classes travelzoo spas slippers
Reviewed March 9, 2018

I have always wanted to visit a Health Spa/Farm and not sure why I haven't at the ripe old age of 44. My husband booked the midweek spa day for us on my birthday. It cost £79 Mon-Fri to use facilities 9am-6pm and this includes robe hire and 3 course buffet lunch. We live in Bristol so not too far, we arrived around 9.30am. Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly receptionist who escorted us to bar/lounge area with complimentry tea & coffee where we had to complete a health questionnaire. Then we were given a tour of facilities. The spa receptionist gave us our towel, robe and locker token so you don't need change for locker. We didn't book any treatments but on the day there was a special offer of a dry float for £10. We spent 2 hrs in the small gym working out. There are 2 cross trainers, 2 tredmills, 1 bike & 1 rowing machine and a few weight machines and free weights. The whole time we were there in gym only 1 other lady came in and ran for a few minutes then left so we had the whole gym to ourselves which was fantastic.

Lunch was anytime between 12.30 - 2pm so we decided to go early at 12.30pm after gym. You can visit the restuarnt in your dressing gown so no need to get re-dressed. A young man (waiter) said we could sit wherever we liked and to help ourselves to soup and buffet. He came to take drink order but didn't give us a drinks menu. The soup was pear and celeriac and it was weird! I'm not actually sure if I liked it, very strong taste of pear and I think a veg soup would have been a better option. There were options of breads and butters (plain, tomatoe, beetroot & spinich). I didn't know butter came in so many different varities! The buffet was a cold selection of salmon, meats, cheeses, salads, quiche, rices, cous cous and vegetables. Very nice indeed and caters for gluten free, vegetarian, vegan etc. There were no mini desserts at the buffet which is a shame. Dessert was offered by waiter and was fresh fruit salad, mango icecream or raspberry sorbet. There were no serviettes on our table so we stole them from next table.

After lunch we visited the spa area which has a pool, steam room, sauna and hot tub. We spent the afternoon in the spa and conservatory area and we only ever saw 5 other people! So fantastic to be able to relax in hot tub all by ourselves. I think due to bad weather (snow) many may have postponed or cancelled and I don't imagine it would be this empty on a typical day. There is water and plastic cups. There is a drinks menu and you need to use the phone and staff will bring drinks to you for a cost. They can't do this between hours of 12-2pm. They add it to your account and you pay at end of day so don't have to carry cash around. The ladies changing room was very clean and smart, showers fantastic but my husband said his changing room was not great. See photo's - shower curtain hanging off of old shower and the changing room was tiny and tired. A complete contrast to ladies changing room and epic electronic showers. There is free wifi in conservatory.

I had a lovely relaxing birthday. I'm not sure why but I actually felt that they could make a few minor changes to make the experience more of a wow factor. For example in the conservatory it would of been nice to offer complimentary tea/coffee and fruit, which is what I expected from a health spa/farm. I also expected more than 1 hot tub and a variety of pools and I disliked the carpet by the pool. Don't get me wrong I did have a great day, for me it just lacked the little extras. The towels are small and kind of rough but you can get a replacement towel. There is no place in changing room to put wet towels so you need to take them out to spa reception and place in laundry basket and take another fresh one. Also you need to buy slippers for £1 or take your own flip flops. This is strange. Why not just include them with the dressing gown/robe or charge £80 instead of £79. The slippers are way too big one size fits all and I tripped in mine twice. The changing rooms although clean lacked products - no hand cream and hairdryers had no end nozzles. There were box of tissues. The showers has 1 soap for body and hair. My locker was also so stiff I had difficulty opening and closing it. The 1 toilet in changing room had a wet floor from people using spa and then toilet.

The sauna and steam room were not hot enough for me and the sauna didn't seem to heat up even if you put water on the stones it produced no steam. My main gripe was that although there were multiple signs about not taking sun loungers outside etc. there were no signs stating please shower after sauna/steam room if you wish to enter pool/hot tub. We witnesses 2 ladies and 1 man exit the sauna and jump straight into the pool and hot tub which is unhygenic.

Overall we had a very good experience and would definitely return.

Date of experience: March 2018
1  Thank HelenBristol
Reviewed March 2, 2018

A Spa which prides itself on high standards and friendly welcoming staff could not have been further from the truth as the standard generally was poor and some of the staff very miserable and looked like they didn't want to be there themselves.
After travelling a very long way with friends for a special birthday treat, we left feeling utterly disappointed and ripped off quite frankly, given the prices they charge for an overall poor standard of service.

We were greeted with a very harsh faced lady when we asked for our towel and robe, and a smile would have cracked her face. The other lady booking clients in for treatments had very unkempt hands with chipped and worn nail varnish and on some fingers none. For an alleged high class spa and beauty facility this really detracted from our first impressions.
We entered the ladies changing area to be greeted with cobwebs and dirty window ledges, again not a great first impression.
The pool area looked nice but the pool water was extremely cool, so we were unable to stay in there for more than a few minutes.
The hot tub was nice, but only when you could get in there as it was always full, probably because no one was able to use the pool.
The relaxation loungers in the conservatory were all taken as people had reserved them with towels and personal items, which apparently is not allowed, but there was no one there to monitor this.
The pool area was cluttered with dirty cups, saucers and rubbish, ours still left uncleared after 6 hours.
Customer service on the poolside phone when ordering drinks was poor - staff answered the call by stating 'kitchen'. A response like 'thank you for calling the kitchen, how may we help you' would have been nice !
The tea cups that we received to drink from were tea and splash stained and had to be returned, without as much as an apology. Cakes that we ordered to accompany our tea were delivered incorrectly, and had to be changed.
The worst of all, however, was the so called buffet lunch ! Well all I can say is GET THERE EARLY as the food on offer will be completely depleted. Lunch is served from 12.30 - 2pm. We went for lunch at 1.06pm and was greeted by empty plates at the buffet, and when we asked for replacement, some replacement quiche was offered, but we were waiting for hot potatoes. After 10 minutes we asked the waitress how long they would be and she reported that there would not be any!! She didn't have the decency to communicate that with us, given that she was the waitress that we had spoken to.The last thing she said to us was that she would check.
There is more that I could mention, but this should give you an idea of what you are likely to experience. We did feedback all of our concerns in writing only to receive a response basically accusing us of lying about all of the above ! Say no more !!!!
So for £79 all we got was extremely poor service, tired and dated Spa facilities, and a bit of salad which was left at lunchtime !

Date of experience: February 2018
5  Thank zola149
Reviewed February 18, 2018

We came here for my Mum's birthday for a full spa day and it couldn't have been better. While we've been to more modern places before, we loved the setting of Cedar Falls and the day was a complete treat.
The staff were lovely and attentive, the facial was amazing and the dry float was great - could've stayed for longer. The jacuzzi and swimming pool were brilliant too and we were able to wander around between the hotel and the spa area.
Everything had been thought of from bags for your wet swimming costume to unlimited fresh and dry towels.
Definitely recommend, couldn't find fault.

1  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed January 15, 2018 via mobile

So I started coming here 25 years ago as only spa for miles and unfortunately still is which is how it still goes on. I have seen many penny pinching going on no more fresh flowers, magazines reduced, no free tea and coffee, no samples given, all locked up at night whereas before you could go to beauty reception try products, tiny single rooms, uninspiring and not many fitness classes , fish pond removed seriously ? Cutting costs everywhere! Alternative treatments far too expensive and ripping customers off, same boring deserts at lunch fruit or yogurt even after all these years, a relaxation room smelling of damp and the same old deal that includes a dry float thing it’s so boring and dated. The pool is tiny and the same hot tub and no towels available to take extra just your allocated one to last all day. Lack of beds when busy and hogging of beds this isn’t the Costa del sol ladies stop leaving your towel on bed while you get a massage!
The whole place needs a shake up and staff always changing. What is my final straw to never come back again is whenever I check in and the same question ‘have you been before?’ Aahhh why don’t you have it on your system and say welcome back why is it so hard to do this??I feel very undervalued and yes I have been regular since you opened. There is no loyalty incentive at all.

Date of experience: March 2017
6  Thank carogDevon
Reviewed December 6, 2017

I have stayed at Cedar Falls on several occasions and the setting is superb. It is perfect just to walk, eat, sleep and unwind even if you do not wish to join in the activities. The new bedrooms are tastefully decorated with very comfortable beds, the food is very good and there is an extensive range of treatments. The shop is also excellent.

Date of experience: November 2017