“Our second year at Sugar Ridge” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sugar Ridge Retreat Centre

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sugar Ridge Retreat Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Wyebridge B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Our second year at Sugar Ridge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

We came back to Sugar Ridge this summer to host our retreat because of our excellent experience last year. It was so good to be back again. The cozy cabins nestled in among the trees, the beautiful meeting space, the great meals, the warm and down to earth atmosphere - all of this and more brought us back. Everyone in our group felt at home and cared for.

The design of the main building is an ideal combination of spaciousness and warmth. There is a feeling of connection to nature throughout the centre. I appreciated the flexibility in types of accommodation - cabins and rooms at the b & b to meet different needs.

On breaks between our group sessions, many of us enjoyed walking the trails. We loved seeing the variety of birds and wildlife. There is a quiet peacefulness at sugar ridge. We will be back again next year, and I look for other opportunities to visit in between. I hope to be returning to sugar ridge form many years to come.

Room Tip: some cabins have two rooms with a door between. if someone snores, it would be best to share a divi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Julia G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed at Sugar Ridge recently for a one week vocal camp. The setting is peaceful and beautiful. Our cabin was right in the woods and we had the best sleeps there! Furniture in the cabins and in the Centre was comfortable. The studio was amazing. Just a great experience. Liz is a wonderful host! Bathrooms were well maintained.

Downside: lots of mosquitoes who ended up in the Centre and in the showers - yuck!

Room Tip: Cabin #3 is very private. It's a bit of a hike to the comfort station but well worth it!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sandy D
Forest Park, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

It’s taken me almost a year to write this. I’m not sure why, besides my worry that I would not be able to adequately express the magic and peace of this place. I’m not generally one for hyperbole, but my stay at Sugar Ridge was one of the defining experiences of my life. I spent about a month there. I was perpetually amazed by the compassion, patience and generosity of everyone there—from Liz and her family to the teachers and students. A year later, I still think about my time there almost every day and hope to be able to return and help in maybe a greater capacity. It’s somewhat embarrassing to admit how important this place is to me, since I was there for such a short time.

But in terms of what you’d want to know when you’re staying there for a week or a weekend: the cabins are lovely and warm. The beds are soft, and I’ve never slept better than when I was there. The main retreat center always kind of smells pleasantly like peppermint; I don’t know why. There’s always trail mix on the counter and a variety of tea. The dogs are fluffy and friendly. Kurt makes the most incredible vegan pancakes, and there’s always fresh fruit and a bunch of different options for breakfast. The bathrooms are clean and modern. The forest around their property is full of wildlife, and the trails wind for miles. All of the teachers you might encounter are warm, caring and concerned about you as a person—I never felt ignored.

Now: the yoga room is incredible. The room is a dome with a peaked ceiling made of clay (I think—that’s what it looks like, anyway). There’s a skylight at the very top, and the room never looks the same. The sunlight nestles into the peaks and valleys of the clay and shifts throughout the day; sometimes the ceiling looks purple, or grey, or yellow. The floor is made out of recycled cork, or something like it, and is heated! There are several mandalas painted on the walls by a local artist—so lovely.

Sugar Ridge is welcoming to regular yoga/meditation students, people on retreat, and those who are just looking for a restful weekend. Liz and Kurt have truly transformed their part of the world into a unique and beautiful community.

From my journal:
"I don't know how to meditate," I say.
"Yes, you do," Liz says, as if she's surprised. "It's the moment when you look at a sunset, and before judging that it's a sunset, you simply understand that it's beautiful."

Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Kelly S
Sugar_Ridge_Retreat, Owner at Sugar Ridge Retreat Centre, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Hi Kelly!
Thanks for your kind words - so lovely to hear that some of the bliss you found here has lasted a whole year! I hope it continues for you and those around you!

We'd love to see you again - just say the word and we'll find space for you, and a hot tea, yummy food, a few weeds to pull :) and lots of love of course!

Liz
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I just got back from a 2-day stay at Sugar Ridge, and had a fabulous time. Sugar Ridge is the perfect place to get away and unwind. The Centre is relaxing and nurturing. The owners, Liz and Kurt, were gracious and welcoming. I was pleasantly surprised at how close the drive is from Toronto, and yet, once there, you feel you could be in another realm. I loved the wild English garden and the natural feel of the retreat, and the 'quiet' of the main room. Being at the Centre allowed me to spend time alone, reading, walking, & catching up on much needed sleep! All the guests were respectful and mindful of their surroundings and of each other, which I most appreciatated. It really does live up to it's name of a Retreat Centre - exactly what my soul was yearning for.
Btw, as for my breakfast experience, I was so stuffed, I could hardly move after. Breakfast is anything and as much as you can eat! And yes, do bring bug spray, it's clearly listed on the What to Bring section of Sugar Ridges' website, www.sugarridge.ca - you are in nature, and at the height of a very hot summer!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank souljourneyor
Hello!

Thanks for your kind words - always lovely to hear that our passion carries through to your experience. Definitely gotta love nature to be at peace here. The hum of crickets and songs of frogs is the music to appreciate here - glad you enjoyed it.

Love to you, Liz
Barrie
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Unfortunately our experience at the Sugar Ridge Retreat was not as good as the other reviews here. We bought a Groupon coupon and was so excited about coming to try this place out. Because we decided to come on the weekend, we were not able to participate in "free" yoga, instead we would have had to pay an additional cost of $25 per class.

Upon our arrival, we walked into the center and Liz approached us. Liz told us briefly about the place making it very clear that we were to keep it quiet and that we needed to respect everyone else because they were in a retreat and we were not. We have never felt so unwelcome ever. It was truly bizarre. She told us in which direction our cabin was, I asked for a key in which took her by surprise as she doesn't give them out but could go get it if we really wanted it (it was clear that would be an inconvenience to her to do so, so we never asked and quit frankly we were afraid to ask).....she says all doors are always unlocked (well hello break in's....that's crazy). So we headed to our cabin.

The walk to the cabin's seems far, you are basically walking in a field of extremely tall weeds filled with all kinds of flying bugs, once you hit the trees the cabin is very close. I go camping all the time and I have never encountered this many flies, mosquito, etc. in one area. If you are going, make sure to bring tons of bug spray as you will need it. Perhaps the winter would be better. The cabins were actually pretty clean as we liked the fact that the cabin had 4 single beds, 2 in the front then you go through another door to the back which is bigger and the other 2 single beds. Much cleaner in the back. So we used the front portion as a common area as there are no decks or places to sit outside.

Breakfast was included in our Groupon deal. The first day's breakfast was a egg, toast, fresh fruit OR oatmeal. The second days breakfast was pancakes to which we were excited about until she came out with a plate of 7 pancakes to be split between 4 people....are you kidding me? We were stunned, oh and left over fresh fruit which was no longer fresh.....BUT IF YOU were part of the retreat, you got the new set of fresh fruit at brunch just waiting for that party of people. It pays to be part of the retreat I guess because if you come with a groupon deal, you barely get fed, you're told to be quiet and if you are hungry she tells you to drive into town to eat, especially if you eat meat because this place is vegetarian.

So to sum it up, I love the concept of this place and would have loved to be felt welcomed and part of a family but this just was not the case for us. Every time Liz laid eyes on us, she gave us dirty looks and made us feel unimportant and unwelcome. For that reason I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank TankTheTraveller
Sugar_Ridge_Retreat, Owner at Sugar Ridge Retreat Centre, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Hi Elise,

I am very saddened to read your review here. Sugar Ridge was created out of love and hope to make a difference in the world by reaching out to one person at a time. I wish you had been one of those people. My intention was never to cause harm or ill will to you. I volunteer my time to run the centre and have experienced extreme financial burdens as a result. I'm telling you this because it simply doesn't make sense that your perception matches the reality of what happens here on a daily basis. The centre is not run as a business and I never expect to take a dime from it. I work full time aside from the centre to support myself and the centre. I love what I do!

I really don't want to go point by point seeming defensive of your comments but since they are so unkind and untrue I'd like to clarify my experience of your stay so that folks who read this can form their own opinion. I don't want to simply delete your comments.

During your stay we had other guests here who were also not part of the retreat group. They ate all their meals here, raved about the food, hugged me before leaving, thanked me for the experience they had and said they can't wait to be back. They left about 3 hours after our normal check-out time because they simply didn't want to leave.

You arrived minutes before a group retreat was starting their first class. Since it was later at night the first thing I did was offer you dinner but you didn't answer me as to whether you wanted it or not. I didn't want you to feel you had to eat here so I told you there were many restaurants in town - just 10 minutes away. I asked if you were vegetarian simply to be able to direct you to an appropriate restaurant.

I informed you of the weekend retreat and their schedule. Of course I asked you to be mindful of their class times so that you wouldn't be embarrassed if you were disturbing them and so that they could practice in the peacefulness of the environment. I also told you that the teacher had graciously opened the retreat to others to come into her classes. She set the class fee and no part of that would come to Sugar Ridge. It was very clear on the coupon you purchased that our studio classes are only Monday to Friday and never were there weekend classes. That should also have been clarified with you upon your booking and I apologize for any misunderstandings on our part.

You asked if you needed a key to your cabin and I informed you that it was unlocked - meaning you didn't need a key to get into the cabin. I routinely give people keys upon request and I said you could have one if you wanted - they are right on my desk and quite easy to provide. I understand some people are not used to trusting others and feel more comfortable with a key. We are located in a very safe rural area and there is no one around to break-in. In 4 years of operating no one has ever had anything stolen. As you know we also leave our retail merchandise open and simply trust people to pay for what they take.

Every cabin is within a minute's walk of the centre, yours was about 30 seconds away. Cabins are purposely tucked into the forest edge to give each one privacy but to keep them close enough to be easily accessible. We keep the fields of wild flowers long because we think it's beautiful. One person's weed is another's flower I guess. I love what Mother Nature does here. Thanks for noticing the cleanliness; it's something that is very important to me. We certainly do have insects - imagine if there weren't any...

Your first morning for breakfast I made eggs to order; so you wanted 3 eggs, whites only which I prepared quite happily and with a smile. Your friend had a couple as well. Other guests had poached and fried. I told you the oatmeal and warm fruit compote were on stove so that I could keep it warm and said to let me know if you wanted any. The fruit is cut fresh daily and you were not served leftovers. I do cut it at night so that all the juices can blend and just personally like it that way better. The group was eating 2 hours after you so I wasn't going to leave it all sitting out but kept it in the fridge. You neglect to mention all the other items in the breakfast buffet and make it sound like I gave you a piece of bread and an egg. The counter was full of other choices including: 3 different breads, bagels, nut butters, jams, 4 different cereals, 4 different kinds of milks, juice,3 different yogurts, soy yogurt, granola; all of it organic. When I served our yummy, vegan pancakes I put out one plate at a time so they'd be hot. I like to serve food hot so waited until you were in the building before cooking any. There were more on the griddle and many left over after you left.

You may wonder why I remember you so well. Other than you left without saying good-bye, and without paying, I remember how difficult it was to talk to you. Ironically I thought you didn't like me and whenever I tried to talk to you it was very awkward. Since this is a rare experience for me I remember you well.

I'd be happy for you to come again as my guest and stay for a week to give it another chance. Please follow-up by phone or email if you choose to take me up on that.

I wish you peace and love in your life.

Liz
Brooklin, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

All the staff in the retreat centre are amazing. Warm greetings and a big smile from Rebecca starts our two days journey to yoga discovery. The cabin is clean and hide in the shade. Very cute. I have attended seven different yoga classes and my husband has attended six, all within two days. As beginners, we feel we have learned so much about ourselves, our body, our breathing. Instructors are really good, they all have such a calm and soothing voice. After returning from the trip, I'd like to seek more information on specific kind and continue practice yoga. We have tried one dinner at the centre, it is delicious. Breakfast is simple but we feel like a community already. bundle of fruits, snack, tea. Thank you Liz, Sam, Rebecca, Kurt and all the instructors for giving both myself and my husband a lovely getaway.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheLingoQueen
Hi!

I'm so happy to hear your introduction to yoga was as wonderful as we hope it is for every guest. Glad to hear you are inspired to continue on the journey - it can be a lifelong one!

Thanks for your kind words about the experience of Sugar Ridge. We strive for cleanliness, yummy food, cozy beds,hot, spacious showers and a welcoming energy.

We look forward to hosting you again!
Best, Liz
toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

We had a group of 17 people at Sugar Ridge for 5 days/ 4 nights. We loved it. The people were welcoming, the buildings beautiful, the food delicious, and the natural surroundings a delight. Care and attention to every detail. The centre is both welcoming and peaceful, with a quiet simplicity and warmth in all elements.

Everyone loved it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank photo_willow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wyebridge
Comfort Inn Midland
Horseshoe Resort
Horseshoe Resort
#7 of 19 in Barrie
Quality Inn & Conference Centre

Been to Sugar Ridge Retreat Centre? Share your experiences!