“Not what I asked for” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ortley Beach
boston
“Not what I asked for”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2009

After looking at photos of the Starlight online I decided to book my stay over the phone. I asked if I could have a room with a balcony and was told "Every room has a balcony." When I arrived, I was running late for a wedding and eager to check in and change my clothes. When I walked into the office the woman ignored me for about 10 as she held her ear to the phone, not speaking, and flipped through papers. When you're in a rush, this can be VERY annoying. When I finally got into my room which overlooked the road, you guessed it, no balcony! It is a roadside motel with an outdoor corridor so I guess that's what she meant by "every room has a balcony". Apparently you have to be very specific. I just didn't like it at the Starlight, the woman was rather rude to me at check-in, offered no help with baggage or any sort of polite small talk. I suggest going somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank bostontraveler_9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
doublengle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2009

Nothing like a Jersey shore vacation. This hotel is optimally located just one block from a beautiful beach and the perfect distance(guessing) less than one mile from amusement piers on the Seaside Heights boardwalk. The pool is delightful! The gneral area provides some shopping, many convenience stores, dining establishments and night life.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank doublengle
grannl2008
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2009

We have been staying at the Starlight for years. My daughter is disabled and cannot walk long distances. The staff has been very accommodating to make sure we get a room on the first floor near the pool. Rooms have been renovated with microwave and refrigerator. Easy walking access to stores and restaurants. Within walking distance to ocean

1 Thank grannyl2008
West Haven, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

We started vacationing at the Starlight when my youngest of four was one. This vacation to the Startlight she will be 19. We have made many friends that we see during the year inbetween vacations. Last summer was the best. The room now is so equipped that it is like being at home. The washer dry are wonderful. No more sweltering afternoons at the laundromat. There is an iron if you need it. There is a microwave. It is airconditioned. A beautiful remodeled bathroom. We just love everything about it. Can't wait for August. Joe & Sherri are wonderful people. They come to see all of us during the block party we have every year. Michelle is in the office and very nice and very helpful.

1 Thank joenlu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2008

Had another great stay at the Starlight this year. Easy check-in, clean rooms, daily maid service, etc. With so many run down motels at the Jersey shore, the Starlight is fabulous.

I look forward to next year's stay.

• Liked — Clean rooms, clean pool, easy check-in
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
happyfam6
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2008

I recently booked an apartment for my family of six after careful review of many hotels in the area. After receiving a confirmation I left for the shore two days later. The web site took all of my information and said I would not be contacted unless there was a problem with my reservation. What a disappointment after spending the day at the beach to find that they didn't have a room for us and told us that they had been booked for 5 days. Why would they have taken our reservation. The girl at the desk had no idea what was going on and tried to resolve the problem by finding us another room at another hotel. Since it was last minute, we didn't have a choice of where to stay and ended up with a room without a kitchen, which was what we had booked with the Starlight. It is just unbelievable to me that a business can just say oh well, we don't have a room for you and make no effort other than to find us a room at a different hotel without the same accomodations.

Stayed July 2008
SunsetMom, Owner at Starlight Motel & Luxury Suites, responded to this review, July 23, 2008
Dear happfam6,
I would like to thank you for bringing to our attention that there are times a computer glitch could occur and have taken steps to hopefully ensure this will not happen again. We have been taking reservations through our website for 2 years and have not had this problem occur before. We truly would like to apologize for the inconvenience and hope that you will consider staying with us in the future.
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2008

Stayed over the weekend June 27 - 28 in a one bedroom apartment. This is a very reasonably priced motel with lots of space. Very clean, especially considering other not so clean places at the Jersey Shore, and 2 blocks to the beach. I did not experience the motel before the renovations, but I am impressed with the work that was done. Also, Arcade, ice cream, and mini golf right accross the street.

I would highly reccomend the Starlight to families looking for a clean and affordable place to stay at the Jersey Shore.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
Dear JetsDevsFan,
Thank you for your wonderful review. We have taken pride over the past 37 years for our cleanliness and attention to detail. Hope to see you next summer.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ortley Beach
Point Pleasant Manor
Point Pleasant Manor
#6 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach
Days Hotel Toms River Jersey Shore
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Toms River
Days Inn Seaside Heights/Toms River
Days Inn Seaside Heights/Toms Ri...
#22 of 39 in Seaside Heights
Windjammer Motor Inn
Windjammer Motor Inn
#2 of 7 in Seaside Park
White Sands Oceanfront Resort & Spa
White Sands Oceanfront Resort & ...
#9 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach

Been to Starlight Motel & Luxury Suites? Share your experiences!