We purchased our stay as a bonus vacation from RCI. The property looked modern and updated on the outside. It appeared clean and well kept. Building access seems secure as you need a key card to enter the building at night.
We stayed in a 3 bedroom suite which has modern and tasteful decor. The floor plan was a bit like a maze with having to take four turns before getting to the open kitchen/living area. This may play into the lack of air flow. Ceiling fans would be an asset since there is no air conditioning in the units. It's good that box fans are provided but they are noisy and not easy to set up near the window in the bedrooms. The beds are comfortable but could use more sleeping pillows rather than decorative pillows. The location of the suite wasn't so bad. It was on the back side of the building but we had a partial view of the water front but mostly the parking lot. We were on the second floor just above the lobby. We had no traffic noise.
The staff was friendly enough but a bit greedy with bath towels. There were no bath towels when we arrived so I called the next morning to ask for 8 towels, one for each of us. I didn't know my sister had already asked for 4 towels so I was questioned if I was exchanging the 4 that were already delivered. I just didn't see what the big deal was if we were given extra towels.
Overall it's a nice property located just across the street from the beach. Don't expect sandy beaches though as the tide rises almost up to the road, so it's more of a muddy beach with puddles. Muddy but the ground was firm enough to walk atop within sinking. The property does provide a water hose to rinse off before entering the lobby. Great for clam digging though. It's not your typical sandy beach but we had a great time playing in it.
It wasn't excellent but acceptable. Only wished the staff wasn't being so difficult with amenities. Not only did they gave us a hard time about the towels, they warned us about the $5 charge at check in if we lost a room key, $35 if we lost a safe key and the amenities provided in the suite was not enough to last us the week so we just went out and bought more on our own rather than going through the hassle with front desk. They only provided one detergent sheet for laundry, a small bottle of dish detergent and a couple extra bags which are all not enough for our group for the week. We bought more ourselves to avoid the hassle with front desk. Definitely did not feel welcome but if you don't need a lot of interaction with the staff it's an average stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandcastle at Birch Bay is an upscale resort located in the serene community of Birch Bay on the northwestern coast of Washington State. The resort is the perfect place to stay for nature lovers or those looking for a quiet retreat. Sandcastle at Birch Bay’s guests have access to an on-site fitness center to keep up with their workout routine, a heated swimming pool, and a hot tub, the perfect spot to relax after a full day of adventure. Sandcastle at Birch Bay’s one-, two-, and three-bedroom condominiums feature all the amenities guests need to feel right at home. Each unit has a fireplace, flat-screen TV, washer and dryer, fully equipped kitchen, and a balcony that offers a view of either Birch Bay or the snow-capped Mt. Baker. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Sandcastle at Birch Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandcastle At Birch Bay Hotel Blaine
- Sandcastle Birch Bay
- Sandcastle At Birch Bay Blaine