“Great location but a bit disappointed at lack of air flow in rooms” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandcastle at Birch Bay

and 1 more site!
Sandcastle at Birch Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Birch Bay
Seattle WA
“Great location but a bit disappointed at lack of air flow in rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

This resort is located in a great location steps away from the beach. I will start with the pros the property offers as there was one major negative with this.-Large Kitchens to cook in
-Huge deck overlooking the water if you pay an upgrade and get one beach side as I did and it was two bedroom.
-Restaurants and bars are within walking distance.
-Full amenities like plates, stove, refrigerator, filtered water in fridge, ice maker, pans, towels, soap etc, You just bring your food.
-Beds are very comfortable
-Pool with hot tub that overlooks the water.
-Lots of free parking
-On site 24 hour staff
-Restaurant attached. (Shores)

Here are the cons. The weather had been fairly warm leading up to my stay. When I checked in I was given a condo on the east side of the property farthest away from the water. When I entered the room it was about 83 degrees and had no air flow. This was at 4pm. I opened the sliding doors and there was still no air flow. If you are staying at this property on hot summer days you need to know there is no air conditioning and that is very uncomfortable. I spoke the front desk staff and they indicated that there were fans in the closets. The only thing I could do was upgrade. I paid for an upgrade fee and moved to a room located right across from the beach. The nice about this is that there are many windows and the unit stays cool. It was about 10 degrees cooler in this unit. I would highly recommend paying extra to get a beach side unit.

Room Tip: Book room on beach side or ask for upgrade. I was able to upgrade for $30 a day
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TikiTravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

On a trip to Seattle, we were looking for a quiet seaside village to spend a few days with our young family. This place was perfect for that. We had a 1 bedroom suite with a pull out couch that worked well for our 3 and 4 year olds. It was very spacious and the kitchen has nearly everything you have at home. We didn't have to drive anywhere once we got there as the beach is right across the street and many restaurants nearby.

If I had to be picky and mention some downsides, I'd say the pool was a bit dirty with pine needles in the water and hot tub, stained cement, and stained carpets in the hallways. Not a huge deal for me, but I wonder why the hotel wouldn't put more effort there.

There is a nice grocery story 5 miles out of Birch Bay near the I-5 as you come in, along with a Woods Coffee, Jack in the Box, and Bob's Burgers.

It wasn't easy to book online through the Raintree website as we couldn't select our province of residence, so we went through bookings.com. We didn't really interact much with the staff but they seemed nice when we did.

Overall, the Sandcastle met our expectations and we would recommend it as a good hotel in a great location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Ashesval
Camarillo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

The 1st thing I noticed about the Sandcastle was that the outside of the building was very dated. That's actually ok with me as long as it is well maintained.....and it was. My husband and I spent a lovely week there.

The room was CLEAN, roomy and comfortable. Initially, I was a bit disappointed we were not assigned a room that faced the bay. There were obviously many available at the time. However, I soon realized that our view of the meadow to the back of the property afforded us much more privacy, reduced noise, and was beautiful and peaceful. It was green and wooded, with a sprawling lake and walking trails. One morning I looked out and saw eagles playing there. I was very pleased with our accomodations. Oh yes, the bed was comfy too!

The only things I wasn't absolutely thrilled with were:
* a big stain on the hall carpet outside our room
* neighbors that partied very loudly all night for one night
* large gap under door to hallway allowing it to sound like the neighbors were in the room with us.

I would not hesitate to stay at the Sandcastle on my next trip to Birchbay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Barbara S
Marysville, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

What a delightful treasure we found at the Sandcastle at Birch Bay. We made a last minute decision to go away for a night and found this wonderful resort. The room was amazing, more than we expected and the price was very reasonable. Our room had a view of the water and we were lucky enough to view a wonderful sunset. If I had to find something that wasn't quite up to par it would be on the kitchen floor there was what appeared to be some egg yolk that hadn't been cleaned up.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fiveakids
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Sandcastle Resort at Birch Bay when we ran the Birch Bay Half Marathon in February. The room was amazing, with a full kitchen that we did not expect to have (we could have known that there was a full kitchen if we had done more research before going). The room was great, and priced at a great value. We were looking for convenience in getting to the start line, and were not disappointed, as we only had to drive about ten minutes to get to the start line in Birch Bay State Park. Also, the room was incredibly clean, and had all of the kitchen utensils we needed to prepare our own food (we are both vegetarian athletes, so when we travel to places a bit off the radar, we typically bring our own food).

The property is also beautifully situated right on Birch Bay, which afforded great views. We had a private balcony that looked over a parking lot directly, but had views of the ocean if you strained your neck hard enough. We couldn't complain, though. We had an absolutely wonderful time, and if we opt to run the Birch Bay race again next year, we'll no doubt stay at the Sandcastle.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nicholas M
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We've been staying at The Sandcastle in Birch Bay on a regular basis since it opened. After doing the math we realized it is a better alternative to buying a seaside cottage. And as a bonus, our vacation time is free of all the maintenance chores which come with a cottage.

The Sandcastle has well maintained units with full size kitchens for practical family use. TV’s with DVD players are good for movies and music CD’s. Balconies have either ocean or golf club views. The furniture is stylish, comfortable and rugged. There is a heated pool and hot tub for all year use; A workout room with decent equipment; Family movie nights; And a rooftop games room with a deck and two grills ( a great place to meet fellow travellers) . All in all it is a great place to visit and relax.

The staff work hard to keep the place clean and in shape. However, you must realize that this is a popular seaside resort, with families constantly trudging through the hallways after days playing on the tidal flats. No carpeting can keep up, regardless of the cleaning. This also applies to the furniture. We groaned when we saw the first scratches and pot marks on the tables. That is the tough part of not having exclusive ownership. But the convenience is a good trade off.

We can check in for a few days, enjoy the oceanside, build a fire, exercise in the pool, explore the local farms and markets, wine and dine in style in our unit, (visit a casino & nearby outlets for a few hours). And never have to pick up a hammer or bucket of paint!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the back are the quietest and get morning sun. The front is noisier because of the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Colin-Noden
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

What a perfect location, we wanted to get away from it all. We arrived in sun and warmth. To see Mt Baker in the distance from your room and balcony was wonderful. We made full use of the pool, having an adult only time really suited us. From the moment we arrived it felt like a home away from home. It was hard to leave even in the rain! Staff were great, rooms were serviced every day which was refreshing. You are right on the beach, what more do you need.

Room Tip: If you want a sea view you also get the noise from the pool. We had a view to the back, which meant...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
#6 of 28 in Bellingham
Oxford Suites Bellingham
Oxford Suites Bellingham
#1 of 28 in Bellingham

Been to Sandcastle at Birch Bay? Share your experiences!