“Worst Burger of my life! Chard! 100% well done! Yuck! Miss old Cj's!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of CJ's Beach House

CJ's Beach House
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Birch Bay
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
blaine,wa
“Worst Burger of my life! Chard! 100% well done! Yuck! Miss old Cj's!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Ok, So I'm a local. I can walk to this restaurant. We were really excited when it reopened. I got food to go. The burger was the worst burger of my life! Chard! 100% well done! I was never asked by the server how I wanted the burger cooked. The other order we got was fish and chips (cod). It was good. But then again why wouldn't they have halibut? Cod, really? Are you not a step above the other restaurants along the water? Also, The restaurant needs to bring back the seafood salad that the old Cj's had. It was the bomb! Even if it was $20! I will try eating here again but never ever order their burger again. Big mistake. I hope the manager and/or owner reads this review.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank borderchickoc10

Kalispell, Montana
“Wildly superior burgers - YUM. Very happy to see this place open here.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Thankfully an experienced and capable restaurateur has leased this building and opened the restaurant. Today 3 friends and I met here for lunch, and were happy to confirm that the recent positive buzz is deserved. Their burgers are ground in-house using steak and wow can you ever tell what a big difference that makes. All four of us had burgers and all 4 of us raved how good they were. We look forward to return visits both as a group and with our families. They can accommodate vegetarians, but with very limited items.

Lunchtime was fairly busy, but dinner is standing room only (I hear). Unfortunately they only take reservations for parties of 6 or more. The several dining rooms are all comfortable and there is at least one fireplace that adds warmth and interest. Remainder of the lunch menu had plenty of selection including fresh fish offerings. The only negative we observed were the seams between table and wall was full of food crumbs---Yuk!

1 Thank Cascadefirechief
Vancouver
“Good value, good food, good view!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

We visited on a busy Saturday afternoon in Feb, but we were seated quickly and even got a window seat. I would imagine in the summer this place will be very busy. The view of the bay during the day is nice and the sunset was lovely.
The drinks menu was well priced as was the food. We had the salmon burger (about a 6.5/10), calamari (7/10) and the fish tacos (9/10). We will go back for sure!

“a mixed bag”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

This placed is newly opened after the old restaurant was closed over a year ago. The new owner has been successful with his restaurants in other locations.
It was a dark and rainy night when we decided to walk here from our timeshare just up the road. The parking areas are not well lit except by the front door. On a warm summer night, the outdoor patio would be used, I suppose. As it was, the view from our window-side table was nothing but pitch black, being after dark and facing the bay.
The place was very busy and the hostess (Christina, wife of owner) was a little frazzled. The single diner ahead of us in line was told she would have to wait for a table but our party of two was seated almost immediately. We discussed her situation in a loud enough way for the hostess to hear, and suddenly there was a table for the single diner. And, in fact, we noticed that there were plenty of tables for a single around us. This was a shameful way to treat someone looking for a solitary meal.
Our waitress was helpful, not rushed, friendly. We had to remind her of our wine order. She said she was waiting on the glasses to be washed up. She checked in with us several times.
Our food came quickly enough after our appetizer and 2 rolls were finished. The rolls are made on the premises. They think pretty highly of them; we were told when we asked for a refill that there would be an additional (as stated on the menus) $1.25 charge for 2 more of them.
My almond crusted halibut with lemon caper sauce was great, crusty, warm, maybe a little dry inside, but the sauce made up for it. The seasonal vegetables had good flavor but the strings in the sugar snap peas made them very unpalatable so Companion and I couldn't finish them. Companion's Alaska Stuffed Chicken was well done; the cream cheese had not completely melted out as is so often the case.
The menu has something for every price range, from hamburgers to lobster dinner. Everyone should be able to find something he or she wants!

• Visited February 2013

Been to CJ's Beach House? Share your experiences!