“to die for chocolate brownie”
Review of Solah Beach Bar and Restaurant - CLOSED

Solah Beach Bar and Restaurant
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Please note this is an overly cruel review mainly as a way of dealing with an inner torment of built up food rage. overall the food and service was pretty good and I’d recommend coming here.
We were asked by a sign on the table to review the Solah beach bar and restaurant so here we go.
We arrive chiefly on the quest for porridge. Upon entering, we are taunted by a sign that reads TO DIE FOR CHOCOLATE BROWNIE (not available). We order: carb load (porridge), plate of protein (English breakfast), the Solah brunch (same but with extra stuff). Whilst mentally preparing for the usual hour wait customary for any food in Bali. (I have yet to actually taste a single meal here as I am so ravenous by the time it comes that the plate is swallowed whole). Meanwhile the local mud silt coffee arrives. One sip of it and we have had 100% of our daily sugar allowance. A favourite pet hate is when proudly proclaiming western minded restaurants miss the basics. “There is sugar in this coffee” we tell the waiter who takes his cue to proudly inform us that he has saved us time by adding it. Well at least he was trying to be helpful and we politely waive him away.
Our growing pessimism is shattered when remarkably the food arrives in record time. Furthermore we are pleasantly surprised to find that the English breakfast is delicious. My brother suffers a slight setback with his sausages which seem to be individually wrapped in miniature condoms, and is now reduced to forming a neat pile of peeled sausage skins on his plate. Another point. As with everywhere in Lombok, you are often left looking like that cliched Red Cross Africa aid poster of a fly covered child. Flies are everywhere here. And on mass. A meal left unattended for a few seconds in any restaurant will become a living carpet. This restaurant is no exception and you can hardly enjoy one bite because you are forever swatting and fretting. The banana porridge arrives and we are pretty full at this point and realise we were slightly trigger happy in the ordering. But recalling our original quest and our new mission to honour a review, we gorge on. Waving away a small gap in the living carpet, we launch in a spoon and taste. We remember what porridge tastes like. Perfect! As far as quality its quite good, a little stodgy. The bill arrives and its 130 rupias (£8). Probably the most expensive breakfast so far. Would we come again. Absolutely. We actually came for dinner too. Just a few things they need to improve. This review has released a lot of tension and I feel a lot better now.

1  Thank rupesh1234

Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Solah is at a very good location in kuta, on the center beach. The food is good, a lot of options. They can be a bit enthusiastic with the vinegar however so it turns sour (I just ask for little vinegar when I order a salad and then it's fine). Nice service, good wifi. There are a lot of selling children in kuta and solah gets a lot of them, that can be really annoying. Personally I don't buy from children because then you're just supporting their parents decision to keep them out of school. If nobody would buy from children they would just go to school or play with other kids.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I can understand tiolet facilities in retaurants when run and operated by Indonesians are not to the standard on western countries. Allthough when a restaurant is owned and run by westerners that are educated about the basic importance of having a clean tiolet and a place to wash your hands. Its unacceptable not to implement these facilities.
We had lunch here and the food was ok but as we were eating a lady who seemed to be the owner walked out of the kitchen with a ciggarette in her mouth and started talking to the table in front of us. It made us question the cleanliness of the kitchen after knowing that she was smoking in the kitchen.
We also had to share our meal with about 8 dogs that were hiding from the rain at the time as well as cats and then we watched how a chicken walked passed us and did a poo in the main area in front of the kitchen entrance which I noticed had been stepped in when I paid the bill.
I also noticed this was the only restaurant in Kuta that charged a service tax.

Leticia82, Owner at Solah Beach Bar and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

I am sorry that your experience at Solah was a disappointing one. Thank-you for alerting me to these issues, I will raise the issues of toilet cleanliness, animal management and smoking with the current manager again. As owner, I have not been there for some time, nor do I smoke or allow smoking in the kitchen. We do encourage the staff to regularly check and clean the toilets, and 'shoo' away the many stray animals that are a constant pest, given the open design of the restaurant.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were at Solah every second day on our two week trip and it became a dependable place to eat with a wide selection of food and drinks and whilst not been amazing to western standards it was close to 5 star for Kuta, Lombok.

Common western hang out at nights as well with cheap drinks and it's either really busy or not at all it's a bit hit and miss in that regard. They also have yoga at 8am every morning if your into that stuff and have a big breakfast afterwards.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have now eaten here on several occasions and have found it excellent. Food is good simple quality and is fresh. They even do bacon and eggs!!! Recommended. Another plus is that they put back into to the community via the school program.