“Won't go back.”

Mertha Jati Hotel
Mertha Jati Hotel
Ranked #48 of 64 Kuta B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We were only there for 2 nights, thankfully, before we went to Lovina. But I was quite disappointed. We stayed in a 2 bedroom family room. You can't tell me "you get what you pay for" either, because my brother-in-law and his family stayed at Surya Inn just up the road for around $25 a night and got much nicer, cleaner rooms, and more attentive staff. When we arrived, the room felt like it hadn't been cleaned for weeks. The floor was dusty and gritty, it smelled musty. When I lifted the bathmat out of the bath to put it on the floor, a bunch of cockroaches scuttled out from underneath it. When I turned on the tap to try and wash the cockroaches down the drain, I found out that metal plug was stuck in the bath. So I was stuck with a bath partly full of water with dead cockroaches in it. There was only one single-sized blanket in the room, even though there were 2 double beds. When we asked for another blanket, we were given a single sheet instead, and when we asked for an extra pillow, the manager had no idea what we were talking about. We've stayed in cheap hotels and inns before. I don't mind old. I don't mind no breakfast. I don't mind that the room isn't made up every day. I don't mind that it doesn't have a pool. But no matter how old or cheap the room is, I still expect it to be a certain level of cleanliness. At the very least, adequate bedding for each bed, swept floors, and free from cockroaches. One is tolerable. But ten is not. For the same price, you can get better in Kuta.

Room Tip: Do not choose any room at all.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank MeshaDez
There are newer reviews for Mertha Jati Hotel

Reviewed August 21, 2013

DON'T EVER THINK ABOUT STAYING HERE. EVER.

I can't stress enough my point. Yes, don't ever think about staying in this hotel, ever, not ever.

My friend and I booked a homestay in Ubud for 7 days and since we wanted to shorten it by spending some chilling time in Kuta, we booked this hotel. It was a very last minute decision since the hotel was cheap but again, if we had had enough time to read through other travelers' reviews, we would never have booked. My only regret in the recent Bali trip.

My friend and I were backpackers so we were pretty much up to anything, as long as it suited our budget. However, I guaranteed you that with the same price, you could find a much more decent hotel in Kuta. The room was furnished to the simplest extent possible. There is no ceiling fan and the door lock was spoiled. You couldn't imagine how frustrated I was coming back to the hotel after a tiring day and was locked out of my hotel room. Room service was nowhere to be found and I faced that situation again the next morning after I woke up.

The bed was broken with lots of bugs. I had to put on two bed sheets just to give me a peace in mind so I could go to sleep every night. However, even when I was already lying there, you could still smell the dirtiness of the room and the toilet.

The toilet was extremely dirty that I could hardly imagine it has ever been cleaned for years. There were stains everywhere and the ceramic tiles were broken to bits. There was no hot shower and the water smelled terrible. I suffered from a terrible facial breakout after coming back to Singapore due to the dirty water there. So if you had no choice but to stay there, DON'T SHOWER, WASH YOUR FACE OR DO WHATEVER THING RELATED TO WATER.

The hotel service was another huge disappointment. The old lady couldn't speak English AT ALL and she was really irritating. I asked her whether she had an adapter so I could charge my phone and before she even understood what an adapter was, she immediately said no. Few seconds later, she turned to ask me what was an adapter. I couldn't tell you how pissed I was.

WORST HOTEL SERVICE I have personally experienced in my entire life!!

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel or else you might regret your decision as I did
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank tingalinh
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We don't have any problem with the budget travel. Is the room old? no worries; Is the room not too clean? We are going just for sleeping; is the breakfast not included? you can go outside and buy something... But, this hotel is the most terrible experience. First, the room was full of cockroaches, dirty (some suspicious substance on the sheets), bed was broken and you can feel how your [--] is falling down into the center of the bed into the night, the toilet smells really bad and the water tastes like iron. At night you cannot turn on the light becaouse the window has no glass and all the insects come into your room. Just stayed a night before take a flight out of Bali. This is just the one positive, you are 10 minutes to the airport but really far from the center. Not recommended at all. Run away from that place!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2013

the hotel is just 10 min away by taxi from the airport ! very convenient and cheap journey . but on my arrival, I must admit I wasn't very impressed. I wanted a shower but there is only cold water (it was so hot outside that I didn't really mind) and the pressure is very weak ..I spent so much time trying to wash my hair . the room was very basic , just 2 beds and a fan (no air con'), but spacious.

but after exploring the island, and see how touristic it is , I was very glad to go back to my nice an traditional hotel . it's about 15min walk from Kuta square with all the occidental shops , so if you miss it you can access it very easily. the hotel's street is parallel to an other one with lots of restaurant (5 min walk). and there is a conveniance store (Indomaret) just 50 meters away . so in my opinion, the location is ideal ! close enough from the touristy place, but in a very quiet street with just locals .

the offer free WiFi and there is an outside communal area .

the staff didn't speak a brilliant english but tried to be helpfull. one of them gave us a map of the island and arranged to hire a motorbike for us (50 000 Rp a day) .
one morning we found them carrying on a regligious ceremony in the hotel, with a monk , music and flowers . very interesting, we wouldn't have seen that in an other hotel !
the staff is also very relax . I understand how people could think that they don't care. but I think it's just a cultural thing. they are very very cool . they don't make you pay until the last day , don't expect them to clean your room everyday (didn't happen !) , but we gave them very short notice about whether or not we were going to extend our stay , and they didn't mind.

And last but not least : it was so cheap !!! you can't complain not to have luxury when you pay so little money. so if you want confort, don't go there . But if you are looking for a real Indonesian experience, this is for you ! chill out, quiet and traditional .

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank karendurst
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This backpacker hotel is OK in term of budget hotel.
No luxury at all, just simple room with ensuite bathroom, fan and just cold shower.
Generally speaking, the cleanliness is OK.
It is a walking distance (approx 20 min) to Discovery Mall Kuta and the next continuing path to Hard Rock hotel through the nice specially built pedestrian footpath along Kuta beach line, or along the very busy Jalan Dewi Sartika (Kartika Plaza) with a long rows of shops, hotels and restaurant . However, ask the Hotel Manager first for the best route hints along the narrow and (sometime) no footpath Kuta roads, and the best is equipped yourself with a free Kuta Local map (available from Information kiosks). The beach is 10-12 min walking from this hotel.
From airport to this hotel the best way is contact the Owner/Manager to pick you for small standard taxi cost Rupiah 40000 (or US$ 4). He was very helpful with all local hints.
The double bedroom rate was $150000 (US$16), and dont forget to ask the complimentary service "a cup of Bali Coffee". ummm.... a nice coffee.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2012

....then this place will be OK.
Otherwise; find somewhere else!!!

Grubby room, toilet flush broken, water smells a bit like sewage for first 2 mins, cockroaches, worn out sheets and towel, had to ask for toilet paper, no bottled water in 'hotel', AC doesn't really work (is 28c cool?) and noisy.
When I asked about moped hire the woman called someone and just said "finished". It's a fair walk along a dodgy road to Kuta to get a bike.
Basically the people who own this place don't really give a s**t about you or what you think and have no pride in making their 'bungalows' presentable. It's all about the $$$.

In fact, avoid Kuta altogether!! Even if the cab to Ubud is long and you're tired, it'll be worth it :)

Room Tip: Errr, try another hotel?
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed here for 9 days at end of an indo holiday. Hotel is extremely close to airport! you could walk there in 10 minutes. ($16AUD) a night got us a big room with fan and own bathroom with cold water shower. We initially had a room closer to the road but asked the staff if we could move so they promplty helped us move to room at the end. mosquitos were a problem as no mossie nets were provided. Even though room is completely sealed there are open windows in the bathroom/toilet which let them in so we just had to be sure we kept the separating door closed at all times. Hotel is walking distance to beach, shops and restaurants and great location for us as we took out motorbike most days to uluwatu and nusa dua, which meant avoiding the traffic of kuta and legian. Hotel is run by a family who were friendly. Not much of a wall separating between rooms so was necessary for us to ask one of our neighbours to be quiet at midnight one night. Also close to a few mosques especially at 5 in the morning. overall this is a great place to stay for valu for money. has free wifi and they have credit card facilities. The next street towards the airport is mostly for loclas so you can get tasty cheap meals.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
Hotel Asoka City Home
Novotel Lombok
Novotel Lombok
#1 of 12 in Kuta
Villa Bau Nyale Hotel & Spa

Been to Mertha Jati Hotel? Share your experiences!