“A perfect family homestay”

and 1 more site!
Mimpi Manis Homestay
Ranked #5 of 53 Kuta B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“A perfect family homestay”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We took our 1 yr old to Lombok and were so lucky to have landed at Mimpi Manis. Gemma and Made were very welcoming, and their young son Martin shared his toys with our son, who settled in very quickly. Small details like offering us a cot, earplugs to help block out the evening prayers (it was Ramadan), taking our son into their home to play all helped our first overseas holiday with a young child so much easier. The tour with Made around Kuta is really helpful, and being droped off at the beach or picked up from dinner in the evenings made life very easy!
The self-contained flat we stayed in was spotless, had a fridge and DVD player, and the breakfast was lovely.
We fell in love with Lombok and much of that was to do with the way that Gemma and Made's hospitality made our stay comfortable and easy! We'll be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank liz r

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Indonesian first
Paris, France
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed in Mimpi Manis for 5 days in August. We first had the house which is a living room and bathroom on the ground floor and the room upstairs. We did not regret moving to the rooms as the house is directly located on the road and it is very noisy !
The rooms are basics, without hot water or air conditioning and not so comfortable but quite good value.
The owners are nice and can organize fishing trips, motorbike and bicycles rentals. They can also drop you to Kuta as the hotel is located 2km away from the restaurants and the beach.

What we did not like was that the room is not cleaned during your stay, we stayed 5 days and the room has not been cleaned once !
Also the breakfast is very basic : toast or pancake or fruit salad. Well, the fruit salad is a salad of banana and unripe pineapple. The pancake is barely cooked and, to say goodbye, we had mouldy toasts for our last breakfast !

It's not a bad hotel but I will not go back there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ben29000
Lombok_Lover, Owner at Mimpi Manis Homestay, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
My apologies for the issues you had during your stay with us. As you were probably aware we were short staffed at the time, with two of our long term staff gone, one left suddenly to get married and the other was away due to a sick relative. I should have monitored breakfasts more thoroughly with them gone but Rin seemed to be doing fine. Moldy toast is unacceptable and I have spoken to her about that. Fruit salad usually consists of banana pineapple and papaya and sometimes water melon however if something is not available it may be served without.

With regards to cleaning of the room.Maybe you did not read the information sheet which we provide when you check in. It explains that rooms are cleaned upon request and asks you to leave your keys with the staff when you go out if you would like the room cleaned.

Our rooms are simple and are advertised as such. When booking via the website there are photos of the rooms and the website states the rooms are fan cooled and all bathrooms have cold water showers.

My apologies again for any poor service you received while with us. I am happy to say we are now back fully staffed and service back to our usual high standards.
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Wow. What can I say but great things about Mimpi Manis! This very welcoming homestay, run by Gemma and her husband Made, is the place to be when you visit Kuta-Lombok, Indonesia.

From the moment we arrived, my friends and I felt welcomed by all the staff at Mimpi Manis. Their warmth and hospitality, combined with great customer service, made my first visit to Lombok a thoroughly enjoyable one.

I stayed in the house at Mimpi Manis, and it was great! My room had a double bed with mosquito net (even though it was dry season, so not so much of a concern), fan, and cupboards with mirror. There was a little safe to keep valuables in, (if you were worried about theft - though I believe that all the staff at Mimpi Manis are very honest people), and the downstairs had tv, sofa/bed, water dispenser, fridge and bathroom. Whilst the showers were cold, it was usually quite refreshing, so I didn't mind. When I arrived, the rooms were clean and we were given a towel and toiletries.

The complimentary breakfast was just what we needed every morning to get us going, and I always found the service of the staff to be impeccable. Sri and Iluh always cooked up a storm (You can’t go past banana pancakes, and for an extra 10,000 rupiah, throw a plate of cut up tropical fruit in also).

Mimpi Manis offers not just breakfast, but also lunch and dinner options, and, comparing them to prices of various restaurants/Warungs that we visited, they were quite reasonable, with generous portion sizes, plus they always tasted great, and none of us had the slightest tummy upset!

Gemma and Made were constantly available to offer us helpful hints and tips, and tried their best to answer the many questions that kept popping up, like where the best places to buy dinner were in Kuta, where to see a good sunset, etc. They were instrumental in helping us plan various trips to beaches and surf spots, and Made's help in getting us to two different surf spots in particular was great, and we all had such a fun time doing it.

The location of the homestay is a wee way out of town, which is not a bad thing. You just hire a scooter (yes, they will organise that for you too) and you're on your merry way. We ended up using scooters throughout our whole time on Lombok, and found their price and ease of use to suit us perfectly. Made has board racks easily fitted to the scooters, so if you're a surfer, no problem. I have heard, anecdotally, that it's quite risky to ride a scooter on Bali roads, but my opinion is that, in Lombok at least, as long as you were safe, and took the necessary precautions, it is not risky at all to jump on a scooter and explore freely.

All of our airport transfers were sorted out at a great price, and if we needed a lift and they could give us one, the Gemma or Made would. I was honestly touched by their commitment to their customers, and found that the one consistent thing they did was genuinely do their best to make your stay in Mimpi Manis, but more generally in Lombok, as pleasant as possible.

To describe Mimpi Manis as a homestay is accurate, as I found that Made and Gemma, in their own way, were opening up their home to us. Along with their son Martin, various animals, and two staff, Sri and Iluh, Gemma and Made welcomed us from when we were picked up from the airport to our sad goodbyes’ ten days later.

I highly recommend the Mimpi Manis homestay as a great value, family friendly choice for you on your next trip to Lombok, Indonesia. If my experience is anything to go by, you will thoroughly enjoy yourself.
Gemma and Made, thank you again for the great experience in Lombok. I hope I do get to stay with y'all at Mimpi Manis again. Sooner rather than later.

1 Thank Isymarsh
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed August 9, 2012

You cannot go wrong if you choose to stay at Mimpi Manis while in Lombok. The accommodation was comfortable, clean and very good value, the food was fantastic (especially the banana pancakes every morning!), and Gemma and Made were so helpful and welcoming. They were able to organise transport for us at the drop of a hat and were a wealth of knowledge when it came to Lombok - they gave us excellent advice on the best places to eat, drink, visit, surf etc. It took so much stress out of the holiday knowing Gemma and Made were there to help and give advice.

When I go back to Lombok I would definitely stay at Mimpi Manis again.

2 Thank Daniel C
Ontario
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Mimpi Manis for 3 days in July and we loved it. Made picked us up from the airport when we arrived and also drove us to Bangsal harbour when we departed for Gili Air, which was very convenient. He and Gemma are super nice people and made our trip to Kuta, Lombok perfect. They also have a little shih tzu dog, which we loved, as we were missing ours at home. We had one of the basic rooms, with 2 small beds and a cold shower. The room was very clean and had a tv/vcr which was great when we just wanted to relax one night. Mimpi Manis is about a 5 min drive to the main street of Kuta, but they do offer free shuttle so it's ok. Made also took us on a tour of Kuta to show us the beautiful beaches and some nice places to eat. We highly recommend the pizza at Full Moon and Warung Bule was good too. The included breakfast was really good at Mimpi Manis, as was the dinner we ate one night.
Made organized surf lessons for us as well, and drove us to Garpuk beach. From there, we took a 15min boat ride out to the surf spot. The instructor was really great and patient and my husband had a great time. I unfortunately got sea sick on the boat ride there, but would have had a great time otherwise.
Gemma and Made have motorbikes for rent which we took and drove about 15min to Tanjung Aan beach. This is an amazingly beautiful and deserted beach. There were maybe 10 people there all day. Warung Turtle is located here and if you buy a drink from them, you can lay on their sun chairs for the day.
Overall we had a really great trip to Kuta and highly recommend Mimpi Manis. Kuta is so quiet and very peaceful compared to Bali. It is much easier and safer to rent a motor bike here as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Stop Looking right now because Mimpi Manis is the place to stay at. My 3 mates and I stayed with Made and Gemma in late July 2012, for our first Indo surf trip. I personally found Mimpi Manis to be a home away from home as Made and Gemma welcomed us into their home. With their wealth of knowledge and tours around the island we felt confident adventuring around and immersing ourselves in the great culture that Lombok has to offer. The rooms were great, clean and secure, with cold showers but honestly that's all you're craving after a hot day, surfing and adventuring. We received a complementary breakfast with tea or coffee each morning, which was fantastic and there is a heap to select from on the menu for lunch or dinner, at really affordable prices. Do yourself a favour and check this place out cause I definitely will be going back. 10/10

Thanks for having us Gemma and Made
Keir

Room Tip: If your planning on going during Ramadan, like everywhere you will hear the Mosque however the rooms...