““Excellent Hotel"”

Best Western Exeter Lord Haldon Country Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunchideock
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel on a couple of occasions, what a relaxing and enjoying time
We could not have chosen better again
Excellent breakfast and dinner prepared to a high standard and the staff are really friendly
and helpful.
We would have no hesitation in recommending this lovely hotel

Room Tip: Room 105 is lovely
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank 314Michele39

Reviewed December 14, 2011

Have just returned from an excellent weekend break. There were ten of us in our party and all the rooms were of good quality. The staff were tremendous - with nothing to much trouble. Not easy when there is a large party to cater for. All meals were delivered together and hot for all courses. If you want a quiet weekend in the country - this cannot be beaten.
Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jackio52
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Would recommend this hotel as a good place to stay, however its not the easiest location to get to as you have to drive along some very, very narrow lanes. This is soon forgotten though as the staff make you feel very welcome and at ease. The restaurant menu lacks vegetarian options but you do get a freshly cooked vegetarian breakfast that will more than set you up for the rest of the day. All in all no issues with staff, rooms and breakfast just can be very difficult to find especially in the dark

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I have just returned after spending 5 days, 4 nights at the Lord Haldon where I was attending a training event. The hotel itself it set within beautiful rolling countryside, where you can enjoy lovely walks and breath in the fresh air! Nothing is too much trouble for the staff here who I always, without exception, found to be helpful and friendly. The food is wonderful, especially the breakfast where every effort is made to accomodate your particular tastes and wishes (I had perfectly soft boiled eggs with soldiers on one morning!) I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and will definately be returning for a weekend break. What's more, well behaved dogs are welcome too!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Milly A
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Picked up a good deal on-line with B&B for under £60.

That's Travelodge territory and this place is much better than that.

It is in the sticks a bit, so you'll really need your own transport to get there.

Nice welcome on reception, clean spacious room with biscuits and bottled water, a good restaurant and a cooked to order breakfast. This is well worth a visit.

The restaurant could be a bit pricey, with 3 courses + coffee setting you back over £30 each - but there are bar meals at less than a tenner which would be fine.

Overall the stay was great value and for the money comes highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Aggiehols
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We recently stayed for a 2 night break at this hotel and were very happy with it. We did'nt have breakfast so cannot comment but did have a couple of bar snacks and the food was good. The staff were were very attentive and looked after us very well. Our room was nicely decorated and spotless, as were the public rooms. The hotel is right in the country the grounds are well kept and yes its an old building but kept very nice. We would go back again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RobbieEnglishLady
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for my friends wedding and my partner was the Dj. Ruth, the general manager asked that we take down the equipment at the end of the night rather than the next day and we agreed. However, the restaurant manager told us at the end of the night to leave the equipment there and collect it in the morning as everyone was leaving,so we did. In the morning when my partner went to collect the equipment Ruth thought it was appropriate to shout at him, telling him he should have moved the equipment and that she was disappointed. She was extremely rude to him infront of others. I decided to speak to her myself about this as it had upset us both. She proceeded to be rude to me and when I asked for her managers contact number she told me there was no point in contacting him as he would agree with her!! She then decided to walk away from me as I was in mid conversation with her. I was shocked that she thought it was ok to treat guests this way so I asked for the area manager to contact me. A few weeks later I recieved an email from a Mr Matthew Thorndale-Finn telling me I had until 3pm that day to contact him as he was going home and he would pass this on to someone else!!! Again to me this is pretty shocking customer service and showed that they didnt really care about my experience. I still have heard nothing and since have informed friends and family about this incident. I wont be returning to this hotel and neither will friends and family that were there that day. Its a nice building, just a shame about the staff!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank Alvin D
lordhaldon, Deputy to the Group Manager at Best Western Exeter Lord Haldon Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2011

As one of the South West’s foremost wedding venues we often have little time between what can sometimes be two or more weddings each weekend. Each must be perfectly special, unique, and follow each bridal couples instructions to the letter – this alone is our objective and what we have become renowned for. Therefore it is particularly important that third party suppliers, such as the author of this grossly exaggerated comment, remove their equipment in-line with what was agreed, i.e. by 9:30AM not almost 10:30AM when the room was required for another wedding. The DJ was originally asked to move his equipment the night before but was further accommodated by the Assistant Manager so as to assist him; despite this the equipment was not moved as agreed. We could not allow the following days wedding to be disrupted in any way owing to another’s unprofessional behaviour and ill time keeping. We most profusely dispute any suggestion that the General Manager was impolite. The DJ, rather than his accompanying partner, was simply asked that he remove his equipment, particularly after the further deadline had expired and the next party were now waiting in the wings. The partner of the DJ raised a dispute as to this practise and was politely informed that in this regard the General Manager is addressing a supplier who has failed in his obligation. One cannot assume the higher rank of guest over supplier when it better suits their favour, it’s simply not fair. This matter, now bizarrely 3 months hence, is largely blown out of proportion and is unnecessary. The details of the Group Manager were provided by, myself, his deputy in his absence following the request. The partner of the DJ failed to call me by 3:30PM, the time I was due to leave that day, or since. Details were provided for the Group Manager among other means of contact, including my own, so as to amicably settle this matter and yet no such response has been made. Further attempts to make contact were made to no avail. At the end of the day, the bride and groom and their guests were all exceptionally complimentary and we will continue to ensure efficient timings in our operation so our guests receive the very best experience during their stay. Suppliers are, regrettably, secondary in priority to this as it should be and always shall. Matthew Thorndale-Finn.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunchideock
Exeter Court Hotel
6 mi away
Travelodge Exeter M5
Travelodge Exeter M5
#22 of 31 in Exeter

Been to Best Western Exeter Lord Haldon Country Hotel? Share your experiences!