“'Void' and go else where!!!!”

The Smart School of Cookery
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Danbury
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I purchase a voucher from the smart school of cookery for my husband for his christmas present last year as he has a passion for cooking! (I should of realised then that this would be a nightmare as from the start Ann Hood was rude and abrupt over the telephone) Myself and my husband were due to attend the cookery experience on the 15th sept 2012, a few days before we called to see if we could transfer the cooking expereince to another day due to my husbands father dying!!! Ann Hood who runs the school of cookery was very uncompassionate and extremely rude to my husband and myself over the telephone! She wanted to charge us 70 pounds to transter class and said she has a business to run!!! We decided that we would go! we were due to cook at 1.30pm, arranged a babysitter so we could go and dispite being mistreated via telephone we were looking forward to it!!! when we arrived there was a class cooking! we knocked to say we were here to cook at 1.30pm and we told very rudely to wait outside!!! when Ann Hood came out she had said the time had changed which we were not noicified of! Ann said she would rearrange us onto another cookery class free of charge as it was her mistake!!! We were extremley disappointed and upset with this! On monday 17th sept 2012 i recieved a horrific email from Ann Hood saying she did not want us on her cookery class she thought we had an appalling attitude she also blamed us for not turning up on time even tho it was not our fault as we did not recieve an email of this change! We couldnt understand why Ann Hood could not of told us of this change in the telephone conversation we had with her 3 days before!! It now comes clear to us that she did not want us there from the start as we felt it was disgusting she wanted to charge us almost the same amount it cost us to transfer for another day! Ann Hood is a very rude and abrupt lady who calls herself a business woman however she has no customer care or professionalism towards her customers! If anyone is thinking to book a cooking experience with Ann Hood i would say 'void and go else where'!!!

29  Thank lynslynsey
ann h, Owner at The Smart School of Cookery, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

this client didn't turn up and expected a freebie....not our policy in terms and conditions so very unfair

There are newer reviews for The Smart School of Cookery

Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband and I have visited Ann's 'school' in Danbury twice now. We have had a great time on both occasions. The first session was a 3 course gourmet experience and the last time we visited we chose a tapas evening. I never thought I would know how to cook paella, but now I do.

Ann welcomes us in, greets us with a glass of wine, quickly makes us feel comfortable and then demonstrates the most amazing food. We all join in to help cook the menus and then have the pleasure of tasting the food. She shares her knowledge, which is vast, and gives tips on how to create sauces etc we go home with a record of what we have done and most importantly how we can recreate the dishes for our guests at home.

A really enjoyable experience all round. Thanks Ann, and we hope to be back many more times in the future.

1  Thank SAM_FA_1
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I attended the Simply Indian course; I think of myself as a novice cook - using a biryiani mix jar seemed quite advanced to me! We were made to feel very welcome with a cup of coffee and the chef endeared herself to me straight away by saying she was a fan of cricket.

I thought I was going to awkward as the only vegetarian, but the chef took it in her stride - most of the dishes were vegetarian anyway, and a vegetable curry added to the menu for me. What surprised me was how simple the process seemed to be. We were encouraged to "have a go" at preparing each dish and that worked well - I remembered much more than would have been the case if I'd simply watched the dishes being made and I have much more confidence about preparing Indian dishes from scratch and i even have my own spice collection now.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We booked through Groupon and chose to go to the Italian class at the new Kent venue of this cookery school. The chef in charge was a lovely host and kept us entertained throughout the morning. However the venue was seriously tiny, very cramped and rather hot. We were invited in turn to help prepare some of the food during the demonstration but to do so had to literally squeeze our way past the other participants to get to the tiny sink to wash our hands then round to the other side of the breakfast bar to join chef. We were a bit disappointed as we had imagined we would all have our own workstations and would get to prepare all the dishes ourselves. In reality it was definitely more demonstration than participation. We did get to taste all the dishes along with a glass of wine which was very nice and the other people there were good fun. However, we both felt that the recipes were a bit on the basic side and we didn't really learn a great deal. The 'locally sourced quality ingredients' turned out to be mostly from Aldi which again was just a bit of a let down. Also, there were no printed notes or recipes available to take away with us. For the price we paid I would say it wasn't a bad deal, but I certainly wouldn't have wanted to have paid full price and I just felt it deserved a better venue and more imaginative recipes.

8  Thank Soup_Dragon_66