“Has Potential...Will be Back” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rayong Marriott Resort & Spa

Rayong Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Klaeng
Toronto, Canada
“Has Potential...Will be Back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Like most other reviewers have mentioned, this hotel is still under their "soft opening" phase but they seem to be getting better. Service is far from perfect but the staff do genuinely try their best. I just came back from a 3 day visit and really enjoyed my time there.

While it is true there is nothing close to the hotel that is walking distance (too far and too hot) I guess one needs to have the right expectations before coming here. If you're looking for a place with lots of night life, shopping, sight seeing, then Rayong is not the place for you. This town is a small, sleepy place - nothing like Phuket or even Hua Hin. If you're looking for somewhere to get away, disconnect and "chill out" then this place will suit you just fine. Most guests simply spend the entire day lounging by the pool (lounge chair turnover is very low!).

The highlight for me was the fact that it was so quiet there - the busy holiday weekend had just passed (Songkran) when I checked in - the hotel was only at about 30% occupancy. The large pool never had more than 10 people in it at any given time - heaven!

The rooms are exactly as others describe them. I had an ocean view room which was nice but to be honest I didn't spend a lot of time in my room. I will say though that I couldn't get hot water in my shower - lukewarm water only. An engineer came to look at it on my first day there and fixed it, but only marginally. The phone on my desk didn't work, but the one next to the bed was fine. The handle next to my bathtub already had rust marks which I thought was interesting given its a new hotel but other than that the room is perfectly fine ( very strong AC).

Power did go out on my first night there - around 6am. It went off 3 times within the span of 5 minutes. The generators kicked in after it went out, but the lights would not turn off after that, and there was no AC so I decided to just get out of bed and head down to breakfast instead. Power returned to normal after about 30-45mins.

There are 2 pools, one of which is an extremely large salt water pool - which I preferred over the one closer to the beach. People do tend to go to the pool to save lounge chairs as soon as they wake up it seems (by 8am half of the chairs by the pool near the beach are already saved with towels on them). In some cases the people do not come back to their chairs until a few hours / half a day later, which I don't think is fair to the other guests who may be walking around looking for a chair.

The spa wasn't ready yet, but when I asked the concierge they recommended a spa that is close by (bua sawan spa) which they helped me book: a car comes to pick you up from the hotel and then takes you back afterwards. I did a 2 hr massage for 450 baht. Not bad. Is only a 5 min ride away from the hotel.

The staff are friendly and eager but level of professionalism and English still needs improvement. Fr example one night when I came back to my room my phone was blinking indicating I had a message: when I called down to ask for my message, the staff couldn't understand what I was asking, and asked me in return, "what is the message you are asking for?"!? Needless to say that conversation didn't go very far.

All in all though, it is a nice place to go to relax and it seems to be very popular with guests from Europe! I hope to go back again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank dkstar5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Frankfut, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Upfront I want to mention, that the property reviewed is still in the so called "soft opening phase". Therefore prices are super low....and not everything is runnig smooth yet or perfect.

For my yearly trip to Thailand I found hat Marriott has a new property that looked like an interesting alternative. From BKK international it took me over three hours by rental car (but it was a local holiday - normaly it should not take more than 2.5 h).

When I finally go there at 2.30 pm my room was not ready. This was caused by lots of guests checking our late, caused by the holiday. After waiting for 30 minutes I was offered a temp room to store my luggage and to change dressed for the pool, which was a generous offer from the GM who was present in the lobby to welcome the guests.

After another hour my room was ready and I was upgraded from a standard room to an oceanview corner room with some extra windows to to the side. Even though the room was new, one of the three phones was not working at all (no big deal if you have two more) and there was a huge brown/wet spot on the ceiling of the bathroom. It felt wet and muddy....and will fell down sooner or later, if no one takes care of this. Any info from my side was ignored till check out.

The balcony is not huge...but big enough. The only problem here is, what is it good for....as there was only one small wooden stool to sit on! So dont even think about enjoying a sundowner on your balcony.

According to the hotel hompage at the time of my booking, the hotel should have a Spa onsite. However this was still under construction. According to the recently updated homepage it is expacted to open in May 2013.

There is also another building onsiste, right in the middle of the Marriott garden. This however is still in the building process, with no visible construction during our stay. It belongs to the property next door(!) - four high towers and a lot of villas. Fenced with a high concrete wall! Their pool is not very well kept and green, while the Marriott pool is crystal clear blue. I was told that they can use the adjoining Marriott pool as well. So just imagine these four high towers busy with people....finding a sunchair might not be that easy any more. I realy wonder what this has to do in the middle of the hotel Garden....

The infinity pool is huge but the wall right behind the chairs makes it difficult to walk behind them...and makes the place look very narrow. The half finished building is covered with plastic canvas. Due to the storm the last days they were partly ripped off.

Sunloungers is another interesting point....they do have a lot at their two pools...but people intend to block them with their towels early in the morning. The hotel does not take care of this problem at the moment, even though I was told that they are planning to place signs out, not to reserve chairs with towels. Staff will be advised to remove towels and property (like old books etc.) if not used within a certain time frame. I realy do appreciate this step, as it will help all guests to find a nice spot at the pools.

Service is currently a problem at the restaurant as staff is still in training. . For breakfast we got our coffee the first day when we were finished eating...it was old and bitter ....the replacement took another 15 minutes. On the second day they ignored our which for coffee completely....until we left the restaurant. On the third day however, it was perfect, with not the slightest point to complain about. This is a clear indication that they are fixing the small problems from the start one after each other.

We had dinner once...a green curry with chicken and steamed rice with shrimp. Two traditional Thai dishes. It took 45 minutes to get them....even though the restaurant was nearly empty (we had dinner late at 9pm). They brought us some bread and butter right at the beginning...but no knive or plate or any other silverware to eat it....this took 30 min and several requests. The menue is very international...to international for my taste...as the choice of Thai dishes was very limited. We have not tried to eat here again, but if breakfast service is not perfect, I believe that dinner is now working better as well.

The beach is not what I expacted. Because of the storm the days befoire there is lots of dirt, broken glass, and plastic waste laying around. No lounge chairs on the beach for legal reasons. I would recommed wearing beach shoews when swimming and walking on the beach.

Cleaning the room was another thing that still needs improvement. On my second day my room was not ready when I got back from the beach in the afternoon....on the third day they completely forgot to clean it. I had to ask twice for it....and was asked if I would like to have service now...what a question. When asking for a manager at 7pm I was told that no more manager is available on the premesis - wow!!! Refilling of coffee and creamer was a problem every day. I ended up buying milk and instant coffee in a supermarket.

If you dont want to eat in the hotel, you have to walk a little bit...or rent a car to get around. There is zero nightlife in the area. Not even a massage place on the beach or so. We drove 30 min to get a very good massage at Na Vana Spa (check it on facebook).

One positive thing is the AC that works perfectly to cool down the room.

For those of you that are getting a welcome gift from Marriott (Platinum members and above), Cheese and crackers are the smallest portion I have ever received by Marriott in my nearly 1000 nights I have stayed so far.
Wine is only offered by the glass (one glass of red or white ) and beer was the best selction (2 cans). Also there was no greetings card from the management or so in my room...no fruits or anything like this, like it is common in Asia Marriott hotels and mostly regularly in other Marriott /Renaissance properties worldwide.

The building itself is very modern...it could be anywhere in California or Florida. If you are expacting local architecture, this is not your place. It is a modern concrete structure with lots of glass and light. It is modern....but not typical Thai.

With more training for the staff, this place will improve a lot and will surely become a nice resort within the next months - worth a second try.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joerg04
bangkok
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Rayong Marriott for 3 days over Songkran holiday (April 13-15, 2013) the biggest and busiest holiday in Thailand. The hotel is new with 250 rooms. The deluxe room was spacious with walk-in shower and a bathtub. The bed was too soft for me so i woke up with a sore back. We (in 3 different rooms) can smell odor from the toilet. I can hear door bell and door closing from across the hall so bad sound insulation. The first night we went there was a blackout because of rainstorm and had to sleep without aircon on even though they had backup generator on but it wasn't suffice. The staff tried very hard to please their customers so I gave them 4 star rating on service. There was miscalculation on my bill at checkout where they overcharged me for breakfast. They took that out but that added 15 minutes at check out. Breakfast was just ok in my opinion long queue at egg station and food emptied quickly had to wait a while for restock. i understand that they have just opened and this was probably their first hugh crowd but obviously they didn't plan well enough. The staffs were running around trying very hard but this shouldn't happen at Marriott, a five star hotel where they usually charge you over usd 200 a night. Had much better breakfast at JW bangkok, JW phuket and marriott khaolak. Had buffet lunch one day and it was so so. Quite expensive though for ordinary buffet lunch (usd30). Food at this hotel was average and, considering the quality, are on the expensive side. They have 2 big pools and kids lap pool. I like the bigger pool with water slides better. I think all of their pools are temperature controlled salt- treated, not chlorine. But a bit dirty maybe because all the holiday crowd were using it. They have good kids club with kind staff and plenty of activities for the kids. The beach wasn't so nice comparing to orher beaches in Thailand.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank wate49
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed at the new Rayong Marriott Resort last week and over Songkran. Great new place and obviously new as they had a couple of teething problems over the weekend. With major storms, the power went off and thankfully this place has its own generator, maybe a little too good though. The lights didn't go off, they actually stayed on. I thought about it for a while and then realised that pulling the key card out of the electric box, you could turn the room lights off. Spoke to the General Manager when I was checking out, who was most apologetic and I am sure he will have the problem fixed quickly.

Good room with enough space to spread out, just like the rest of the resort. The place is on a big piece of land and even with the resort being as full as it was, which was evident at breakfast time in the restaurant, the outside areas were not crowded.

We ate in both their restaurants and the food was very good and the prices fair for a five star hotel. Took a little long for the meals, but the place was full. I have waited longer in other places that have been open longer than this resort.

Would definitely recommend this to others and will be back myself, as I know they will fix the light problem they had and it is better than anything else in that area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

It was apparent during our one-night stay that they were still finishing the hotel (painters painting, laborers laboring), but that didn't take away from our experience.

The beach is indeed dirty, which was a little disappointing, but we were careful in hopping over the trash to enjoy the water. Once you're closer to the water, the trash is less obvious.

The views from the oceanfront rooms are amazing. The little daybed nook inside of the windows is a nice touch, and that's where the kids spent most of their time in the room. The TV in my son's room was turning itself on/off all night, and the volume would turn up to full blast when the TV was on, but as soon as we let staff know, they replaced (!) it. There was also a weird urine smell in all three of our rooms. I chalked it up to "beach" smell, and just dealt with it.

The property is pretty spread out, but that adds to its charm. We were concerned that with our four children, we would make the stay miserable for others, but the pool areas were so spacious, we didn't have to worry about disturbing everyone else.

The pools are fabulous. I couldn't believe how large the main pool was, and our 5yo must've gone down the slides several dozen times.

The restaurant was about what we were expecting, both in terms of quality of food and decent prices. The service was slow. We always assume that it will be due to our large family, but the party of six that was seated next to us arrived later and received drinks and food faster. Go figure.

Bring your sunblock! Forgot ours and were unsurprised at the exorbitant price in the hotel (again, to be expected).

All in all, it was a nice getaway.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Richard W, General Manager at Rayong Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor after enjoying a very short one night holiday at our new resort. As with most new buildings we making a few adjustments, modifications and rectifications to some parts of the resort at our fastest and lowest business periods and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Fine tuning our services and processes, from F&B service to frequency of beach cleaning is all becoming more refined each day.

Our goal of becoming a “family favorite” is shaping up very quickly, with children going home exhausted after being amused with our great waterscapes and kids club whilst parents go home well rested at the same time. I look forward to welcoming you here again for your next rest period and giving us the opportunity of providing the service you expect from our Marriott team.

Kind regards,

Richard Wallace
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

The hotel and it's facilities are very nice, but the beach is covered with trash. My young son found a florescent glass light bulb rod. I'm lucky I stopped him before he broken it and cut himself. We thought the nearby island might be cleaner and chartered an expensive boat, but those island were covered with trash too. If you just want to stay at the hotel, then it is lovely. Their beach is gross.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AnnaJ800
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor after your recent stay at the hotel. We are certainly glad you found the hotel very nice and would recommend people to stay at it, however I am sorry you encountered any litter on the beach. Like yourself, we are very committed to the environment and safety of all of our guests. We have in practice a procedure of cleaning the beach in the area of the hotel on the outward tide, twice a day to ensure the beach is clean and safe. We are sorry that you encountered this litter on the occasion of your stay and we will apply a higher frequency of servicing the beachfront. We thank you for your feedback as we will also use this feedback with local organizations to help eliminate the cause of this litter arriving on beaches in the area in the first place.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort.

Richard Wallace
Göteborg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

A really nice hotel with superb dining abilities, comfy rooms, nice pool areas and lovely staff. We went to this location to have a nice romantic vacation without any stress and I have to say that we could not have chosen a better hotel. The staff did their best to make every guest feel special and they managed to! When we wanted to hire a private taxi driver for the day, the concierge gave us their number if anything would go wrong since the taxi drivers hardly knew any English, when I had forgotten my nail polish remover the front desk manager let me borrow her personal nail polish kit. All of those little things made us feel so much more welcome and special and it made our vacation feel amazing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Klaeng
Novotel Rayong Rim Pae Resort
Mae Pim Resort Hotel
Mae Pim Resort Hotel
#9 of 55 in Rayong
Paradee Resort & Spa Hotel

Been to Rayong Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!