This hotel is advertised as an eco friendly 4 star hotel in a peaceful remote location. Unfortunately that is not what we experienced and luckily we only stayed here for two nights.
The hotel is in a lovely location with stunning views but that is all it has - the maintenance is very poor and the place is dilapidated looking. The hotel is not new but it looks unfinished i.e. the conference area has bits of building equipment lying around, we passed an open shed in the gardens with broken bits in it and our balcony overlooked an old shed with broken furniture piled into it etc.
If you have any difficulty with stairs or have small children this is not the place for you. The steps are steep and the balconies are very low.
In our room the safety deposit box was broken, the phone didn't work, the toilet seat could swivel to a 45 degree angle and the blue bath robes were badly stained, frayed and old looking.
We did not see anything remotely eco friendly about the hotel.
We were allocated a bamboo 'cottage' room 403. These are not actually cottages as they are built in a staggered fashion one on top of the other. When we arrived I decided to go for a swim but when I discovered there were so many children at the pool I changed my mind. I was surprised at the number of children. The room above us (402) was noisy that night and it wasn't until the next day that we discovered that the hotel was running a kids camp and the children were sleeping on mattresses on the floor in the room above us. I don't know why we were allocated a room below the kids camp as the hotel did not appear to be full. We were not told that there was a children's' camp when we were booking nor is this mentioned in the brochure.
I decided to visit the spa on my second day but was disappointed to find that the treatment I selected from the hotel brochure was not available.
The food was overpriced and not good - this is the first time we ever sent a dinner back as it was so bad. The hotel owner seems to have 4 dogs, we saw three - one very large dog and two wire haired terriers. As we sat on the hotel balcony for dinner the hotel owners' dogs wandered around. The large dog stopped between our table and the next and did a large 'pee'. A few seconds later one of the wire haired dogs came along and decided to drink it! We like dogs but this is not suitable for a hotel restaurant and would certainly put anyone off dinner.
I agree with a previous tripadvisor reviewer who referred to the place as an ovepriced dump. You are stranded there and have no choice but to pay their prices. The services manager was not in the least helpful and she just said sorry when we pointed out the broken equipment in our room - nothing was done.
In my opinion that this is definitely not a four star experience and the hotel is only getting customers based on its location. We saw other lovely hotels in the mountains so my advice is - look elsewhere and don't waste your time or money going here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Close by but a world away, Phu Chaisai is the iconic Northern Thailand destination resort and one of the first boutique resorts of Thailand and first to incorporate lifestyle and wellness into the holiday experience; For example, yoga and organically grown produce. Set among 500 hectare of unspoiled and lush subtropical mountain forest, peace and tranquility await you at Phu Chaisai. Choose from four room categories: bamboo cottages, mountain cottages, authentic Thai wooden houses, and grande deluxe cottages. All lodging incorporates natural building materials like bamboo and leaf covered roofs to blend into the natural surroundings. There are over sixty seasonal activities and excursions available, from trekking and horseback riding to mediation and yoga. Phu Chaisai is noted for its gentle Northern Thai hospitality, authentic regional Thai cuisine and open-air spa, which offers exceptional value as well as highly skilled therapists. Phu Chaisai is a perfect destination for travelers seeking tranquility and self discovery as part of a fun and enjoyable holiday. At Phu Chaisai you will discover there is no television in our rooms. You may also discover yourself. Phu Chaisai: because sometimes it’s about how you feel in a place. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Cancelon, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Phu Chaisai Mountain Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Phu Chaisai Mountain Hotel Mae Chan
- Phu Chaisai Mountain Resort And Spa
- Hotel Phu Chaisai Mountain
- Phu Chaisai Mountain Resort Thailand/Chiang Rai Province, Asia