“A peaceful resort with nice atmosphere”

Phu Chaisai Mountain Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Mae Chan
Bangkok, Thailand
“A peaceful resort with nice atmosphere”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

The hotel staff lost our original booking via a travel agency so we didn't get the original room type we booked. At first, we were so worried but the front desk staff did manage this incident professionally. She upgraded our room to a new pool villa which is much nicer than the honeymoon suite. Since the resort is in the mountain area so we decided to have a dinner here which was a good decision. The foods are delicious except some menus are not available since the resort ran out of some ingredients. Be sure to try the breads. They are so good. One negative thing about this resort is breakfast. Even we went to have breakfast around 9:00 am, most of the foods are gone and the resort didn't refill the foods. Other than this, we had an enjoyable moment here and would recommend this resort to other couples.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lollipops26
, General Manager at Phu Chaisai Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Lollipops26

Thank you for your kind words about your stay with Phu Chaisai. I am sorry your booking was misplaced when you arrived but I am pleased the front office staff resolved this to your satisfaction.

Like you, I love our breads and I have expanded the items on offer at breakfast, especially those from our Bakery.

It’s so valuable when guests take time to share their feedback so we can improve. Thank you again for your comments and I hope to welcome you back to Phu Chaisai here in the beautiful mountain forest of Mae Chan.

Regards,

Steven Roberto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Thai first
Fribourg, Switzerland
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Phu Chaisai is a paradise in the nature. Rooms are made of bamboos which give a great atmosphere and the spa and swimming pool are magic.

I would definitely stay again in this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SFO2005
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2011

For moderately priced accommodation in the hills in the Golden Triangle, you can't beat the place. We had a family suite - 2 bedroomes, 2 lounge areas and 2 bathrooms. Rooms a bit drak because the walls and ceilings are covered in bamboo. Beds comfy. A few mosquitos, but not a major problem.
Restaurant - best Thai food we've ever had, but Western dishes not up to scratch. Prices very reasonable, especially for wine/beer.
Great tours organised by the resort.

Room Tip: Higher room - i.e. on restaurant level.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank sandersgm
Dear Sandersgm

Thank you for sharing your comments about Phu Chaisai. I am happy you found our resort to offer good value and that you enjoyed our authentic menu of regional Thai food. I do agree with you that the traditional hilltribe design of the bamboo cottages can sometimes feel damp during rainy season (but so cool during the warm months) so I am taking steps to increase air circulation in the cottages near the forest where you stayed. I am also upgrading our western menu; our new Western Chef de Partie does a wonderful Yorkshire pudding so I hope you will return to visit Phu Chaisai again here in beautiful unspoiled northern Thailand.

Best regards,

Boulogne-Billancourt, France
Reviewed May 25, 2011

We picked this hotel after several hours of research, we wanted a place far from the noise of the city, in a beautiful mountainous area. With Phu Chaisai, we got this and a lot more. The resort is a carefully crafted gem, it has an earthy, natural and gentle feel to it. All the buildings seem almost as if they are made of clay and blend with the surrounding wild trees and climbing vines. One note of importance are the bugs which have been reported by many reviewers, they are indeed crawling a bit everywhere including inside if you are not careful, but this is to be expected in the middle of the woods. So while my partner was a bit terrified of the, at first, even she got over it after a while. Personally, I was fine with just having netting over the bed and the occasional gecko crossing the balcony. Nature does have its drawbacks and one must learn to accept them to appreciate its beauty.

On the service side, the spa and the pool were definite pluses,simply amazing. The staff was very friendly and professional at all times. The food was just average but the dining area was charming. The value was rather good for us, espescially compared to more trendy areas.

My partner's blogpost for some beautiful pictures of the resort:

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Yoshikaz
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2011

The hotel is not as we thought near Chaing Rai - it is a remote spot far from the city and any other village/town. ( The fault of our agent unfortunately). We were trapped. The restaurant had no vegetarian food - so a bowl of soup was all we could have. The staff were inefficient and unhelpful. Although we had booked an Executive room we were put in a basic one - with no explanation and no refund.

The walls of the bungalows were so thin we were advised to talk quietly in order not to disturb nearby bungalows. There were so many gaps in the walls that impossible to keep out mosquitos - and the mozzie nets were full of holes.

The spa was incredibly expensive - and in fact not open when we might have been tempted to use it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Phu Chaisai Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear persephonedemeter

Thank you for sharing your comments about Phu Chaisai. It is never pleasant to learn we disappoint a guest but so important to receive this feedback in order to improve.

I regret your travel agent misinformed you about Phu Chaisai’s location. As described on Tripadvisor and Phu Chaisai websites, Phu Chaisai is located in Mae Chan 40 minutes north of Chiang Rai City. Phu Chaisai is a destination mountain resort and spa; our guests come here for escape so I can sympathize if you were disappointed to be outside the city.

I apologize that you were misinformed we have no vegetarian cuisine. In fact we grow all of our produce in our own organic gardens and prepare many types of vegetarian dishes. We do hire local peoples as staff whenever possible in order to help strengthen the local community; although they genuinely care about our guests happiness language can sometimes be a barrier. Phu Chaisai does have many English proficient staff so it is disappointing to learn we failed your request for vegetarian food. That simply should not have happened.

Your room category entitled you to a unit of the same bamboo cottage design as superior but with larger balcony. I regret if this was not clear at the time of your booking and that we were unable to offer you an upgrade to a villa. As most of our guests seek the tranquility of nature we do encourage consideration regarding noise in the evenings, as the hillside setting and the natural construction materials can amplify sound.

I am disappointed you found our spa prices expensive. I am proud of our spa’s wide range of treatment practices and the extensive training our spa staff undergo. I regularly benchmark our treatment prices against other Chiang Rai resorts to ensure Phu Chaisai is at or below the median, and we receive frequent feedback from guests that our prices are inexpensive, especially given the quality received.

I can only hope you will give us another chance to show you the service and quality Phu Chaisai is noted for. Thank you again for sharing your comments and impressions through TripAdviser so the team here can continue to improve.
Warm regards,

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed March 4, 2011

We only stayed one Night there. The Rooms are big, but past the good times already. Need renovation. Sometimes the staff ignored us. For someone like Bamboo it is ok. The Food was ok, but not really special. The Prices for Spa, Room and Food is like 4-5star Hotel-but isn`t t. Need urgent improvement. It`s not like the Homepage.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Phu Chaisai Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear sparks12

Thank you for taking time to share your comments about Phu Chaisai on Tripadvisor. It is very helpful when guests give feedback so that we can improve.

The section of the resort you stayed in is constructed of natural building materials such as adobe and bamboo, and is intentionally rustic in design. The resort does upgrade amenities periodically provided they preserve our philosophy of living with nature. .

I apologize if at any time you felt our staff ignored you during your stay. That should never happen and I hope it was entirely unintentional.

Phu Chaisai is noted for its authentic regional Thai cuisine; I have hired a new chef de partie dedicated exclusively to enhancing the Western menu.

I regret you found our spa prices expensive. Phu Chaisai spa prices are at the median for Chiang Rai province resorts and approximately one third to one half what one might pay in Pattaya, Samui or Phuket.

Although photos never give a true picture of rooms or even people, I do believe the photographs on our website provide an accurate representation of the rooms and resort. They are untouched and were taken by resort staff, not professional photographers.

I regret you were disappointed during your stay but by taking time to share your comments I am encouraged to redouble my efforts at continuous improvement and for that I am in your debt.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed August 19, 2010

We had planned to stay for four nights. We just stayed for one uncomfortable pest filled night. The area surrounding Chiang Rai is beautiful and the views are fabulous. This is the best thing about the resort. However, you can take advantage of the views elsewhere. Additionally, you are so far out of town that you really are stuck in the resort - which is a shame with a limited food menu. (Although the Phu ChaiSai salad was nice).

We booked a Pool Villa. The buildings were really pretty at one point but overall, the management isn't keeping the place up and standards have dropped from wherever they were that got them a good rating.

Cleanliness: A big letdown. The pool clearly hadn't been cleaned between guests or in a long time. There were leaves and sticks and other detritus at the bottom of the pool. We would expect a few leaves but this was a lot and the water seemed murky. I couldn't use it. The mosquito net was full of holes and we had to request a new one. The towels were ragged and we requested a new set which were an improvement but barely. I've included a photo of the 'improved towels'. There were cobwebs everywhere, a weird fungus growing on one of the hangers and the flowers were wilted in our room on arrival. Finally - the insects. We live in Thailand so we're very used to an inavoidable level of pests. Even bearing in mind we're in the mountains, this was an infestation. Thousands of ants inside. Then spiders, caterpillars etc. At night we had great difficulty sleeping as we had to pick some off ourselves in the bed. It was all a bit musty and rundown.

If it were a hostel, you might overlook it but for the price, this is supposed to be a luxury resort! We moved to Le Meridien the next day and received better treatment and a better room for a much better price.

Service: From some staff members it was well meaning but from others we got ignored. I went to the front desk and stood for a few minutes before management would bother to acknowledge me. I requested to see another room and they said "Yes" and went back to a conversation and ignored me for a further five minutes until I had to leave them and wait for someone to care to talk to a guest.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to share your valuable comments at Tripadvisor.com. Although I did not yet work with Phu Chaisai when you stayed here I nevertheless wanted to reply.

You are right about the menu; in the past, during the rainy month of August when you stayed here, the menu was limited because of the lower guest count. This was not correct; all guests are equally important and I have taken steps to increase the number of menu items year round. I am happy that you enjoyed the Phu Chaisai salad, as the resort grows its own lettuces and vegetables organically, and we need to expand upon that.

It is true that in 2010 when you stayed here your room could have been in better condition. Although we don’t want to change the philosophy of using natural building materials, like adobe and bamboo, we are refurbishing and modernizing amenties over time.

I apologize about your pool not being clean. The gutter was being replaced during the time of your stay and a rain most likely dirtied the pool water. This should have been corrected before your arrival.

Actually, Phu Chaisai does not describe itself as a luxury resort but rather a mountain resort with emphasis on mindful living and tranquility. Our average room rate is far lower than the posted rate of the hotel you mention and most guests consider Phu Chaisai to offer exceptional value.

The resort is undergoing many changes and improvements. Perhaps one day you might give us another chance. Thank you again for your comments, which I sincerely want you to know are valuable to me.

Best regards,

Dusit Island Resort Chiang Rai
Nak Nakara
Nak Nakara
#4 of 108 in Chiang Rai

Been to Phu Chaisai Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!