As a family of 4 we recently spent 3 nights at the Katiliya in late December. Check-in was relatively smooth however there was some confusion about bedding for the children and our 6 year old had to share with us and my 10 year old slept on the converted but comfortable day bed. The room itself (Superior Suite) was large and had the biggest King bed I have ever seen. The room was impeccably clean and very tastefully decorated in subtle Lanna style with a massive bathroom fit for royalty, although the best part of the room was the balcony and views of the misty mountains in the distance where we saw many spectacular sunsets.
The hotel grounds and pool areas were beautiful with lots of Thai and Lanna features. The restaurant, bar and lobby areas were stunning also tastefully decorated in Lanna style with magnificent artworks. It’s a shame the heated spa is only mildly tepid.
The food was probably the biggest let down, the local dishes were good however the Western meat dishes were pretty bad and expensive. (pasta and pizza were fine). Alcohol was also very expensive but they did run some good happy hour specials between 5pm – 7pm.
The Staff are warm, friendly and helpful and English was widely spoken. Day trips can be arranged with or without tour guide. We rented a van with driver for 2000 baht for a full day and visited Doi Tung, Mae Sai and the Golden triangle area, all worthy places to see. A taxi to Chiang Rai airport will cost you around 500 baht, which is cheaper than the hotel’s van.
I think with a few minor improvements the Katiliya could be a bona-fide 5 star property and I hope to stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shrouded in mist at the gates of the fabled Golden Triangle, Katiliya Mountain Resort & Spa brings contemporary luxury to a land steeped in lore. Situated in Thailand's northern-most province, Chiang Rai, Conveniently equidistant between the city of Chiang Rai, Mae Sai, Doi Tung and Doi Mae Salong, just 35 Kms. from Chaing Rai airport and the Golden Triangle where Myanmar, Laos and Thailand converge. KATILIYA, is an all-suite luxury resort in Chiang Rai. Nestled on the top of the mountain KATILIYA retreat said to be the only all suite resort here in Chiang Rai , boasts over 90 - 175 sqm of living space in each suite, with panoramic views across the valleys enhanced by the peace and quiet. Distance From /to ChiangRai Airport & City. : 35 Kms. Mae sai (Burma-Thai border) : 30 Kms. Golden Triangle : 45 Kms. Amenities include on site restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner, outdoor swimming pool and kids pool and free wifi in all the rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Katiliya Mountain Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Katiliya Mountain Hotel Mae Chan
- Katiliya Mountain Resort And Spa
- Katiliya Mountain Resort & Spa Thailand/Chiang Rai Province, Asia