“Somehting different and magical”
Review of Fern Paradise

Fern Paradise
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in San Sai
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed here in August 2014. Although a little way out of the central town this little resort is indeed paradise. With individual huts this unique resort will bring a little bit of magic to your stay. Enveloped in the jungle, being able to lie in bed with the sounds of crickets and birds truly made our stay excellent. The owner could not be more accommodating, bringing breakfast to our hut on the mornings that it rained and catering to our every whim. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone staying in Chiang Mai that wants a better experience than just another hotel room.

Room Tip: There are only 9 huts... which makes it an even quieter experience!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I went there on July 2013 spending some holidays with my family visiting me in Thailand. We were looking for a place where relax and don't hear city noises. Also to enjoy about the nature in Chiang Mai.

I can say this place is unique. The owner has a collection of ferns (more than 400 species) around hundreds and hundreds square meters terrain. The detail of caring and love, passion shown is unbelievable.

We were treated like "family" and the son of the owner helped us absolutely for everything.

Suitable to spend full day walking around, looking the plants, animals, swimming at pool and lay down on the hamoc under the cottage… pure relax.

Room Tip: Have a look to the jacuzzi cottage.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I spend about 10 days at Fern Paradise in January. This is truly a paradise. The cottages are restored rice huts and they are incorporated in trees so you feel like you are in a tree house. Very rustic but there is a wonderful charm to being here. This is a family owned establishment and the family is on site and they want to get to know you. Be sure to ask for a private tour of the grounds. You will learn about ferns and see how they are grown. Om and Rin are there to help and provide you with anything you need. There is a complimentary breakfast and they will arrange for lunch and dinner for you if you want. The eating area is outside and on a river which provides a nice atmosphere. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Nothing but excellent, the Fern Paradise, besides the green ferns, palms and litchi and mango trees themselves that turn the whole area into a luxurious botanic garden, besides the crickets, cicadas and birds sounds and tweets all around that cuddle you during day and night (really I cant believe that somebody complained about the STREET noise..that's ridiculous, the sounds cover everything!), besides the riverside restaurant that serve delicious, and i underline Delicious and cheap dishes, next to a slow waterwheel, besides the architectural restoration of original wooden rice barns where inside and outside you can smell the tek essence, besides the romantic four-posted beds wrapped into a mosquito net and the dazzling swimming pool surrounded by tangled greenery, besides all of that, you will receive the wonderful hospitality of Om and his family, always ready to arrange a car for you (cheap and efficient..the hotel is a bit far from the old city so you will always need a car, or take a bus on the street just opposite the hotel main gate), to prepare tasty food and help you to do anything, phone calls, bookings, whatever he's able to do to make your stay super comfortable. We have found this place really magical. I can't say anything but thank you. If you can, go there. We will do it again for sure.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2014

On our transfer from railway station to the hotel we could not expect how beautiful this hidden place will be (you cannot see anything from the road). We entered a peaceful area with lots of farns and beautiful huts. We have to accept that you can hear some noise from the road.

The huts are luxurious and very clean. Due to the big windows you are surrounded by the nature even when laying in bed. The staff helped us out when booking trips or getting a taxi to Chiang Mai. I really have nothing negative to say, I felt like dreaming all the time being there :)

Thanks a lot for this nice stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Fern Paradise is a beautiful, romantic, peaceful, perfect holiday getaway location. The food was delicious and the complimentary breakfast was the best to wake up to. The rooms are very clean and tidy, and the bed is quite comfortable. Om & Rin were amazing hosts; not only did they provide us with everything we needed (bus spray, bath amenities, tourist sites etc.) but they went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable! I was especially touched when I forgot my sweater at their hotel and they delivered it to me with a small note :) thanks so much!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2014

If you're looking for the best showers in Chiang Mai or no neighbours, look elsewhere.
If, however, you appreciate being surrounded by trees, ferns, plants and wildlife whilst staying somewhere that is nothing like a typical hotel, then you'll love it.

The 9 villas are well laid out and both the standard and deluxe types have their advantages.
I chose a standard one as I loved the idea of a raised platform with seating making you closer to the trees, chipmunks and butterflies. It was just as I expected.
The 4 standard villas each have a small access way off the central area making them feel very private. There is a built in seat for each one and a communal table planted up in the centre. There was rarely more than just us there as everyone comes and goes at different times.

We stayed in Cyathea barn, which other than the deluxe one, is the only one to overlook the pool which may be useful if you have children old enough to be in the pool by themselves, but you'd like to keep an eye on them whilst you rest,
I sleep on a futon on a solid base at home and whilst this wasn't as firm it was wonderful not to have a soggy spring mattress, we slept well.
Air conditioning was very efficient but only needed once, there is TV which I didn't turn on but presume it worked, a kettle that got plenty of use (thank you for keeping me in teabags when mine ran out!) and a better hair dryer than I own, it was really good.

If you're lucky you may get a fern tour, it was so interesting and has inspired me to grow more in the shady bit of my own garden.

The tours are good value and we had a great time, you can add or remove different places from a basic list.

Don't get a cab into town, the bus is great and took 20mins and you get to meet local people, just flag a green one down outside and we got a tuktuk or cab back.

There is a walk/ bike trail map taking you around the local area, we walked it as you see so much more, and the local people are very friendly.

There is a 7-11 near by if needed, out the entrance, turn right and around 3 mins later it's over the road, and a proper chemist too, same side as Fern Paradise about another 4 mins along.

On the subject of the road a few here have mentioned noise. If you look on google maps you can take a walk with the little man and decide for yourself if you think it's too busy, and it's a lot quieter than staying in Chiang Mai. It doesn't claim to be in the middle of the forests, but it does have it's own little one and it's a lot quieter than living here in London.

Breakfast are excellent, fruit juice, toast, croissants, cereal, yoghurt, fruit, omelettes, boiled eggs etc or a fry up but I'm a veggie. Plenty of tea and coffee too.
Didn't need lunch but did have dinner there and very nice that was too whilst listening to the bull frogs and cycadias.

If I could change anything it would be the showers as they are boring compared to the rest of the room, but I didn't visit Chiang Mai to have a great shower experience and wouldn't let that stop me from going back and I intend to.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Lanna Dusita Boutique Resort by Andacura
Rainforest Boutique
Rainforest Boutique
#49 of 393 in Chiang Mai

Been to Fern Paradise? Share your experiences!