The Rising Sun Hotel
Ellenborough Park(Cheltenham)
$140
$99
$96
No 38 The Park(Cheltenham)
$133
$108
Hotels.com
$88
$185
$143
Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham(Cheltenham)(Great Value!)
$76
$63
  • Breakfast included
$43
  • Free Internet
Premier Inn Cheltenham Town Centre(Cheltenham)(Great Value!)
$67
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
$135
$120
Agoda.com
$54
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmalvern hillsbeer gardenold english innslamb shankpub grubbishops cleevebooked a tablegreene kingtwo night stayeggs benedictstaff were attentiveplenty of hot watersunday lunchcar parkwaiting staffshort breakfantastic location
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I recently visited this pub for lunch on the recommendation of the stationmaster of the.Cheltenham Warwickshire..Steam Railway. (Well worth a visit)

The view is truly magnificent but the lunch experience was not so good. We were overcharged which took ages to be rectified, and I had to eat my fish and chips with my fingers as no cutlery was provided! Also the meals did not come together so I had finished my meal before my companion was served. Having said that, the food was lovely but the management could really do with addressing these issues to ensure that the staff (who were all extremely pleasant) are up to the mark with service and product knowledge.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Rising Sun Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Our guest who are dinning with us either in the bar area or outside are asked to help themselves to cutlery, however in this case we obviously failed to communicate this. Also guest who order separately will have a time difference on their meals. We are sorry for any inconvenience and hope that this small misunderstanding will not put you off visiting us again.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights, the price was reasonable, plenty of parking. The room was large and clean although the vacuum cleaner must have been short of suction.The bed was confortable, the decor a little tired. In spite of being at the front there was no road noise. Basically a pub and clearly very popular as it was always busy. A pleasant garden with benches and extensive views. Food is decent pub grub. The most striking feature was the pleasant demenour and friendliness of all the staff. Excellent location for a walk direct from the hotel. Recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Rising Sun Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

We are really pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. At Old English Inns we really value every one of our customer’s comments. Thank you for taking the time to post your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back to Old English Inns in the future.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stumbled upon this hotel after a day out and in the need of a place to stay. No problem they said, got a fantastic rate including breakfast. This hotel operates like a pub and there are pub benches outside which give a stunning location for the view out towards Wales. The food was inexpensive and efficiently served, hot fresh and tasty.
On this Sunday evening they had a muscial entertainer, which consister of one man with a drum kit and a lot of other electrical music making equipment, he sang popular songs and this attracted a lot of local people. The sort who seem to spend little and take over the place, I hate being crowded and as a lone traveller alway difficult to get up and go to the bar or toilet only to find your seat had been taken, this was the case so went to my room and was pleased not to be able to hear the noise.
I would also ask guest to pay attention to where they park especially if they have a new or expensive car, I found someone in a banger which looked more like a skip than a car had parked so close I could only get to the drivers seat by climbing over the passenger seat. I quickly moved my car.
The room was comfortable and quiet despite being on the main road, which is not very busy. The breakfast choice was vast and included egg benedict which was very nice and quickly served.
The small issues would not prevent me staying here again and it really was very friendly, excellent money value and in a super location in the summer,

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were warmly welcomed at the Rising Sun. We ordered light lunches and a couple of lagers.
I was disappointed to be overcharged by £2.54 which took some time to resolve. One lunch came without cutlery and about eight to ten minutes later the other one arrived. I complained, and my lunch which by now had gone cold was duly replaced. On the plus side the food was very good and the young gentleman who served us was apologetic. We ate outside and the view was absolutely stunning. With some additional staff training this superbly situated hotel/pub could be outstanding.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Wirral_Advisor
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Went after booking using special offer in local newspaper. Far better than we imagined. High on Cleeve Hill it overlooks Cheltenham with views towards Malvern Hills and the Black Mountains. Superb location for visiting the local area, but also would have felt right at home just sitting reading a book in the bay window of our room, in one of the many seating areas looking out the glorious windows or outside in the beautiful garden.
Room was faultless we had one on the ground floor. Large room with large bay window with seating and magazines to read. The beds were supplied with quality mattresses and quilts and also ample pillows (usually have to ask for more in most hotels). Ironing board and iron, hairdryer, free wi fi and quality tea, coffee and hot chocolate supplied.
Staff were amazing friendly, helpful and courteous.
It was very busy when we were there, obviously popular with locals too which is always a good sign! there were 3 family parties held there and also a very large coach party of japanese tourists but at no time did this hinder the serving or quality of our meals. We ate in the restaurant both nights (advisable to book) food - good choice excellent value for money. Specials every day - special theme nights (curry night, sizzler night) as well as the full menu on offer. This included local meats and produce. My husband was impressed by the generous portions and the choices of real ales on offer.
Breakfast was good choice of buffet cereals, pastries fresh fruit and juices. Also various cooked options available. Full English, Eggs Benedict, Porridge local kippers or smoked salmon and scrambled eggs.
This hotel may not be the best choice if you have mobility problems because it is an old building it is on 3 levels with some rooms up or down flights of stairs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the car park for the best view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bluebell67
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Rising Sun Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012