“Not Good”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bir El Bey
London, United Kingdom
“Not Good”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We Stayed at Sun Beach in June 2012 for 12 days,Pictures look lovely,I took all the precautions not to get ill,but I was bitten by so many gnats in the room,was in bed for 4 days with bad stomach,Food looked nice but it looked like the left overs were reheated and dished up every day for a week,its a shame the look was better than the taste.The staff were not helpful and the Tour rep,we see him once and that was because of the pressure we put on him.The rooms were not cleaned,ring marks on the dressing table, dirt up the walls and bathroom door,permenant leak in the bathroom,kept losing our water -hot and cold.Although there is a bank on the resort we had trouble getting our travellers cheques changed.Outside the resort was just a mass of building sites -not a pretty site,We wanted to stay in our room until we were due to leave and after going to reception on several occaisions were told they would let us have another room for 25 diner approx £12.50,this room was worse than our room and as it was vacated that morning they had not even bothered to clean it.Never again,we have travelled to a lot of countries,this one has put us off so much.after this experience we have decided to never travel abroad again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Karen G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2011

...Firstly Sun Beach Club Playa Hotel, Bir El Bey IS closed, however it is joint with Carribbean World which is listed as in Borj Cedria.  I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights 12-15 October 2011 with my Fiance.  I booked this hotel about 6 weeks before stay.  I was looking for an 'AI' hotel reasonabiliy close to Tunis and this seemed to be the only suitable one.  I had read a few reviews before I went which were concerning.  One of which was some else saying that this hotel is in fact closed, after reading this I contacted the company I made the booking with to check this out and they told me the hotel is fully operational and there is just a few rooms which are closed.
This review is really for Club Carribean World the only part of Sun Beach which is open is there swimming pool which is easily accessed and usable from Caribbean World.

-Room
The rooms are chalet / bungalow style (although looking at pictures of Sun Beach it is all in hotels rooms, which I would have preferred hence why I didn't initially book Caribbean World for the fact they have bungalows not rooms in hotel).
The bungalow was fine, it was spacious and clean, double bed, dressing table, TV and nice bathroom.

-Food
The worst!  I am certainly no picky eater.  I would not say the food was 'inedable' but it was not very nice at all.  For instance the milk for cereal at breakfast was sour and warm, they served baked beans, olives and cauliflower as a hot choice for breakfast and made to order omlettes which were cooked in a black burnt frying pan and consisted of nothing.  Lunch and dinner like most AI hotels was pretty much the same, salad - yet this was never replenished, I think it was the most popular dish in this hotel as everything else just looked horrible.  I did try other food, grilled veg - I don't know how they got that wrong but it tasted burnt yet wasn't, the majority of the other dishes were Tunisian speciality which I like to try (only tried once) my fiance is Tunisian and he did not like any of the dishes here.  The pizzas were made to order and they were ok.  The restaurant is plan and simple and you can sit where you like inside or outside (you don't have the same waiter).

-Drinks
Beer, red, white & rose wine, and bouka are the only alcoholic drinks available on AI.  They do sell bottles of Golden Brau and Heiniken I think 2,500 TND  (£1.25) per bottle.  The AI beer is ok.  The white wine was like drinking vinigar (I know you don't get the best of the best in AI but this was below the cheapest wine about (if thats what it was!)
What I disliked is the plastic beakers that you are given for drinking outside.  In other AI hotels I have stayed they have used disposible cups which I think is much more hygenic than reusable plastic beakers with dirty and scratch rims.

-Swimming Pools and Gardens
The swimming pool appeared to be clean and the surrounding areas were tidy.  The entertainment around the main pool was average.  The swimming pool for the Sun Beach Hotel was accessable and usable we just came across it whilst walking the grounds and I recognised it from the pictures when I booked Sun Beach, there were no other guests around it at all.
There are waterslides in the Caribbean World, however...... you have to pay 5 TND pp per day!  Which I don't think it makes sense considering the fact it is a splash resort!  Needless to say there were about 2 or 3 people using them.

-Beach
The beach wasn't looked after at all it was full of seaweed and had not been cleared like most private hotel beaches. It was a little bit slopey but just slightly. It is quite a walk from the hotel approx 400 yards, this did not bother us, but again something to be aware of.

-Entertainment
The entertainment is average, the majority of the hotels in Tunisia use the same entertainment programme so what you are seeing whether how good or bad it is is not necessarily down to the hotel but down to how much effort the animation team make of it.  These were quite a good and friendly bunch.
There are a few games machines in the hotel and there is a room with 6 pool tables, however each one of them were missing at least one ball.

-Outside the Hotel
I ready a review before I went to this hotel describing the surrounding area as being like 'Bosnia' and some people saying that some taxi's won't even come to the area Borj Cedria / Bir El Bey.  This is not the case I can only assume the guest who made this review had never been to Tunisia (unless they had stayed in Hammamet or PEK which is purpose built).  This is Tunisia there are a lot of barren areas and lots of litter which is what this is like outside it is not unusual.  Re the taxi's the reason that a lot of taxi's don't go into the area is because this hotel is the only hotel here, and if it is off peak then there is obviously not much need for taxi's therefore the drivers are not always going to drop someone off at a hotel is there is not much chance of them picking someone up and making money on their return journey unless they charge you a exceptional amount.
There is nothing outside the hotel in means of shops or anything at all really, I was already aware of the location as we just used this as it was a 40 mins train ride from Tunis Centre. The train station would be a good 25 min walk away, we did use a taxi as my Fiance new how to get hold of one whicih parks up outside train station.
I think there were only another 2 families that were English staying in the hotel. It was mainly Polish, Russian, German and French. One more thing, they do not have a night club in the hotel so in the main show bar they play music for the adults from 2300-0200 which is rather noisey if you are staying in a room near the main hotel which we were.
All in all the hotel was not aweful although the food was.  I personally wouldn't stay here again, but if you have already booked this hotel then enjoy it but just beware about the food (it is cooked properly just tastes aweful).

Room Tip: Rooms 1000 - 1100 are reasonably close to the main hotel, which are useful if you have a downpour ye...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Penelope_-_-_-_UK1

Travelers are raving about these Bir El Bey hotels

London
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of time before. When we arrived in May 2001 the hotel was closed. Staff said it had been closed for several months. We were put in the hotel next door. It was like an 18-30 nightmare with awful food. I booked with Expedia. I wrote a review after I returned to warn others the Sun Beach was closed. Expedia did not put my review on their website!

Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank LondonJm01
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2010

I actually won this trip so did not have to put my hand in my own pocket. I think its good for families and if you are looking for some sun and not go out sightseeing too much. Rooms, clean and service was good, restaurant was a bit pricy but they had a captured market. Great for a sun, pool family holiday but not a single guy !!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Rivers76
UK
Reviewed September 22, 2008

Don't choose this hotel If you don't want to spoil your holidays. I don't know where to start from. It's so bad that It would take me several pages to explain myself. Trying to summarize, these are the main points:
- The hotel is totally isolated. I already knew this but when I realized of my bad choice I couldn't escape to anywhere.
- The food is ridiculously bad. You are eating same stuff for the whole week, re-heated, with different sauces... One day you have chicken legs, the next day they cook (with leftovers) chicken casserole, then pasta with chicken, then chicken soup, then chicken cream.
- I can guarantee two things you will have during your stay every single day. One is the sun (lovely) and the other one is the diarrhea (it won't let you to enjoy the sun very much as you will spend you holidays running trying to get your room)
- The hotel is not a four stars one. Maybe three and I would say two.
- Staff is mean, have bad manners, unfriendly, rude. If you order a drink with ice, it may be they throw the ice on your face (for some reason they don't like you to ask for ice)
- You have to pay for the water. The drinks are disgusting. Beer is impossible, juice is squash, wine.... you can call it like that if you want. Maybe they afraid the tourists can get drunk... you won't, deffinitely.
- Everything is very expensive. You can bargain but after two hours doing it you will get the stuff still expensive and it may be they insult you. You better go to Matalan or Wilkinsons. They have better prices and they are nicer too.
- The beach is alright. I'm Spanish and I can tell you that many of our beaches are much better, with very friendly people and clean.
- The entartaining is tacky and the entertainers are a pain in the neck. They are not funny at all and they intend to take your kids and they disattend them. Really boring stuff.

Positive things: Room size, swimming pool, sun, beach.

Seriously, If you have any doubt, let me help you. You can contact me and I will explain everything. Be careful. Keep away.

• Liked — Sun everyday, Well-sized rooms, swimming pool.
  • Disliked — Food, staff, hotel, drinks, not english or spanish speakers.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank mabellan
UK
Reviewed April 29, 2008

This hotel is very remote and there is nothing to do beyond the walls of the hotel. The rooms are clean and waiter/bar staff are friendly but the animation team are incredibly annoying. The entertainment is great for families, but not adults and if you are bored of reading or lying in the sun you will find the remoteness quite stifling.
The toilet faciliities are poor and you will find yourself using these regularly due to the food which is acceptable but repetitive and will eventually make you fell unwell.
My fellow travellers and I found this experience very disappointing and were relieved to be departing. Not a four star experience!!

Stayed April 2008
3 Thank Unimpressed1
Sussex, England
Reviewed July 1, 2007

After we booked this holiday and read some of the reviews we were a bit unsure what to expect. We were flying into Monastir which is a long way from the resort, and we'd heard some horrible stories about the transfer. When we arrived it was the hottest day of their year so far, and it was midday and we had a 3 hour bus journey...not a good start. It was 49c!! We were told we'd have to change transport after 2 hours of the journey when we arrived at Hammamet to get another bus. The first coach was unbearably hot...no air con in 49c heat! But when we arrived at Hammamet to change transport we had a pleasant surprise. There was a nice, brand new renault clio, with air conditioning waiting for us. The next part of the journey was lovely : ) and took about 45mins.
So I advise anyone to fly to Tunis airport, not Monastir.
The hotel is not well situated. It is surrounded by wasteland. But once within the hotel gates it is a different world.
Pool is nice, beach is beautiful, and the food is great too, but perhaps a little repetitive.
We were the only English people in the whole resort! It was all French and German people. We were a bit bored because of this, however most of the animaton staff spoke some English.
The hotel is definitely catered for french and german people. And the tv in the room only has french and german channels.
We went quad biking within the resort on the 5th day, would definitely recommend it! Also the massage place is very good, and very cheap.
There is a trainers shop, and they sell lots of new trainers, such as Nike Shox. They look real, but you can get ripped off. We managed to barter him down from £120 for two pairs, to £50. Two pairs of Nike shox is a bargain!
Barter for everything! We bought some fake designer sunglasses from the resort marker (weds) for the equivalent of £8, when the price originally started out at £70!! Just keep walking away until they give you a decent price.
Lastly, I advise you to take a bottle of JD whiskey as it is like gold dust out there, being a muslim country, they can only buy alcohol from 2 places in Tunisia. Whiskey is very good for bartering. You can probabaly get some trainers and a leather jacket in exchange for a bottle of JD!
The resort is very good for famililes, and for people who aren't interested in venturing out of the resort. Plenty of sunbeds for lounging around all day by the pool or beach, plenty of sports and activities going on, and very good evening entertainment. Just a warning...the animaton team can get a little annoying as they want you to join in with EVERYTHING. Its annoying when all you want to do is sunbathe and chill out, and you've got someone tugging at your arm to join in with their dance or competition.
Hope this is useful : )

• Liked — Pool, beach, food and sun!
  • Disliked — No other English people. Staff a little pushy.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
#5 of 117 in Hammamet
Ramada Plaza Tunis
Ramada Plaza Tunis
#2 of 12 in Gammarth

Been to Sun Beach Resort? Share your experiences!