“Sun and Snorkelling”

Liku'alofa Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kanokupolu
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Our family loved Likualofa Resort especially after stayng in the hot and dusty town for 2 nights. It is paradise for sure. Our son was reluctant to snorkel at first but felt secure enough in the tidal pool to have a go. The complimentary breakfast platter of fruit and cereal or toast was so fresh and filling. The feast was so tasty and never ending and the show was top notch- we had two other shows elsewhere to compare with. Lovely to see our waitress in her element... dancing! Even though the famous Peseti was away the remaining staff kept up the high standards and frendliness. Netted windows and louvres mean an insect free and relatively cool night's sleep. Fales are very private and surrounded by beautiful tropical gardens. Life was on 'Tongan time' but taxis breakfasts arrived on time. Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms feel a part of the beachscape but all rooms are quiet and private. As meals are co...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Liku'alofa Beach Resort

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I visited Likualofa with my family in Jan 2013, and stayed there for two and a half weeks, and had the time of my life, thanks to Peseti & Tautala Maáfu and their staff. Every single staff member were extremely inviting, hospitable, accommodating, helpful and always smiling, no matter what time of day or how busy they were. They made my family and I feel at home and a part of their family. The fresh food was plentiful and delicious. The fales are immaculately kept, and very modern. The bar was one of my favourite places to sit as I enjoyed watching the waves crashing onto the beach with the beautiful backdrop of tropical island sun. I was delighted that the bar served my favourite beers, steinlager (for all you kiwis) and heiniken...mmm....at fair prices. This place is amazing!! The tidal pool was so much fun and very safe for my children. We were entertained by Sifa, my children's favourite, the fire dancer...along with beautiful Tongan men and women dancing traditional Samoan, Fijian and Tongan cultural dances. Peseti also entertained us with some great singing alongside the in house band. I was totally in awe during my stay there, and I am still buzzing at the greatest trip I've had thus far. I highly recommend Likuálofa to any budding tourist, who is interested in delving in some laid back, entertaining, endless swimming, eating fest and out of this world island experience....and not to mention the warmest hospitality Tonga could offer. The only downfall of the whole trip, is that I had to go home to reality LOL!! I'd like to thank Peseti, Tautala and all their staff for being the greatest hosts, and we shall return to see you all soon :-)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sauget
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We loved our stay in Liku'alofa Beach Resort. We stayed 2 nights in the beach front hut. The accomodation is quite basic, but clean. The resort is located in a beautiful tropical garden and has a good beach access, depending on the tide you can swim also in the sea water pool. The restaurant is also recommendable, bear in mind that the food preparation can take a while. We enjoyed very much to get so close the the owner family. Best regards to Rosa and Nalita! We miss you !! Thanks once again for showing us your beautiful island and introduce us to the people.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My family and I had a lovely stay here. We stayed here for two weeks during christmas 2012 until after new year 2013..

The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. The rooms were clean and spacious.
Thr floor shows that they have there were awesome as was their umu they put. My children thoroughly enjoyed their stay and going for walks on the beach.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank charz77
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed here in November 2012, whale season was over so had no views of the passing whales, but the snorkling was still very enjoyable. Water temperature was absolutely beautiful no westsuit required, though please bring reef shoes as the coral can be a bit scratchy. Accommodation was basic (I was not in a beach side fale more of a garden view but still very nice). Food was fantastic - but I think if you stay for more than 7 days it would get a little repetitive. Now a tip for the traveller it is a long way out of town - and taxi can get a little expensive - so you may need to relax for a few days, unwind and then do little tours during the week. Personally I would book little tours rather than have a car, but if you like your independence and are able to read a map with lots of streets, no names and no signs then go for it I found that if you drove around Tonga (it is an island after all) and you travel in a clockwise direction you get all the signs for the tourist spots, but if you go anti clockwise hmmmm it is a bit more challengin.....I giggled and found most things - but that Tsunami Rock had me stumped.

But back to Liku'alofa - the staff are fantastic - the ambience of the bar area overlooking the ocean is not to be missed....Go for it, I rate Liku'alofa as excellent value for money and above all you have to relax.....internet was extremely hit and miss and the phones worked if you stood on you tippy toes and poked your tongue out at an angle when it rained.

The beach is terrible at full tide but awesome at low tide, the pool is a tidal pool and quiet refreshing. All in all it is a lovely lovely place

Room Tip: Better sleep chose a garden fale - you tend to get more shade so the rooms do not get so hot. But t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had a lovely stay at this resort. It is very basic accommodation but clean and comfortable. It is worth paying the extra money to stay in a beach front hut. Be aware that it is a long way from town and a taxi fare is $40 each way. For a longer stay it would be more economical to hire a car. We were a little disappointed to miss out on some of the advertised activities but we were able to watch a traditional wedding being held there which made up for it!

Room Tip: Stay in a beach front hut.
Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Mum and I wanted an end of winter getaway with nice weather, pleasant surroundings, easy going hosts in a safe and clean not too expensive resort. We didn't have time to island hop so based ourselves at this great find on Tongatapu. When I said I was travelling with my elderly mother (sorry mum!!) we got an excellent villa at the front of the resort so we didn't have to walk too far back and forth from the pool/beach area back to our room. We got a welcome and were able to use the shuttle service (also doubling as the school run into town) and went to church with the locals which was outstanding. The food was good when we ate in the restaurant, and it was worth stocking up on some crackers, cheese, veges and fruit to nibble on during the day which we could keep safe in our fridge in the room. I think the hot water works off solar so our showers were warmer at the end of the day than the beginning but a cool shower was just the thing in the 30plus heat anyway. The beach is lovely, and I preferred to swim there than in the pool which is filled by the incoming tide and does seem to catch fish and weed and seems to need a bit of a clean out to be honest. But on the whole, it had everything we wanted and provided a blank canvas for us to chill out, read, sleep, drink and relax.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank WellingtonJoanna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kanokupolu
Tanoa International Dateline Hotel
#6 of 13 in Nuku'alofa
Royal Sunset Island Resort
Royal Sunset Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Atata Island

Been to Liku'alofa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!