“christmas/new year 2012-2013 - liku alofa beach resort” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Liku'alofa Beach Resort

Liku'alofa Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kanokupolu
Brisbane, Australia
“christmas/new year 2012-2013 - liku alofa beach resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

My family and I had a lovely stay here. We stayed here for two weeks during christmas 2012 until after new year 2013..

The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. The rooms were clean and spacious.
Thr floor shows that they have there were awesome as was their umu they put. My children thoroughly enjoyed their stay and going for walks on the beach.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank charz77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed here in November 2012, whale season was over so had no views of the passing whales, but the snorkling was still very enjoyable. Water temperature was absolutely beautiful no westsuit required, though please bring reef shoes as the coral can be a bit scratchy. Accommodation was basic (I was not in a beach side fale more of a garden view but still very nice). Food was fantastic - but I think if you stay for more than 7 days it would get a little repetitive. Now a tip for the traveller it is a long way out of town - and taxi can get a little expensive - so you may need to relax for a few days, unwind and then do little tours during the week. Personally I would book little tours rather than have a car, but if you like your independence and are able to read a map with lots of streets, no names and no signs then go for it I found that if you drove around Tonga (it is an island after all) and you travel in a clockwise direction you get all the signs for the tourist spots, but if you go anti clockwise hmmmm it is a bit more challengin.....I giggled and found most things - but that Tsunami Rock had me stumped.

But back to Liku'alofa - the staff are fantastic - the ambience of the bar area overlooking the ocean is not to be missed....Go for it, I rate Liku'alofa as excellent value for money and above all you have to relax.....internet was extremely hit and miss and the phones worked if you stood on you tippy toes and poked your tongue out at an angle when it rained.

The beach is terrible at full tide but awesome at low tide, the pool is a tidal pool and quiet refreshing. All in all it is a lovely lovely place

Room Tip: Better sleep chose a garden fale - you tend to get more shade so the rooms do not get so hot. But t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had a lovely stay at this resort. It is very basic accommodation but clean and comfortable. It is worth paying the extra money to stay in a beach front hut. Be aware that it is a long way from town and a taxi fare is $40 each way. For a longer stay it would be more economical to hire a car. We were a little disappointed to miss out on some of the advertised activities but we were able to watch a traditional wedding being held there which made up for it!

Room Tip: Stay in a beach front hut.
Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Mum and I wanted an end of winter getaway with nice weather, pleasant surroundings, easy going hosts in a safe and clean not too expensive resort. We didn't have time to island hop so based ourselves at this great find on Tongatapu. When I said I was travelling with my elderly mother (sorry mum!!) we got an excellent villa at the front of the resort so we didn't have to walk too far back and forth from the pool/beach area back to our room. We got a welcome and were able to use the shuttle service (also doubling as the school run into town) and went to church with the locals which was outstanding. The food was good when we ate in the restaurant, and it was worth stocking up on some crackers, cheese, veges and fruit to nibble on during the day which we could keep safe in our fridge in the room. I think the hot water works off solar so our showers were warmer at the end of the day than the beginning but a cool shower was just the thing in the 30plus heat anyway. The beach is lovely, and I preferred to swim there than in the pool which is filled by the incoming tide and does seem to catch fish and weed and seems to need a bit of a clean out to be honest. But on the whole, it had everything we wanted and provided a blank canvas for us to chill out, read, sleep, drink and relax.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank WellingtonJoanna
Kerikeri, Northland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks at this resort and if I could give a higher star rating then I would! We felt like we were welcomed by the lovely family and left feeling that they were friends.

During our stay my daughter broke her ankle and Sisi one of the family took us to hospital and stayed with us for 5 hours helping us, we had to stay in overnight and they sent us breakfast from the hotel!

The island night was spectacular and the food was lovely! All in all it was a relaxing stay the accommodation was lovely and Tonga overall was one of the friendliest places we have ever been to. Despite my daughter braking her ankle she still gave the holiday one Million out of 3!!! You don't get better than that! Thank you for an amazing holiday!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank EllenHardingEH
Dunedin, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

3rd visit to Liku'alofa and once again very enjoyable.
Saw whales swimming past very close to shore which was a highlight.
Wonderful improvements to the entire complex so not so tired and untidy looking.
Very nice gardens.
Did not stay in the beach front rooms this time and enjoyed this room better. Seemed to be cooler as once again ceiling fan not really working.
Cleanliness a lot better for this stay so thanks again for a very relaxed and enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank debbie a
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

If you aren't big on general good humoured catastrophe then Tonga probably isn't the place for you. This review is based partly on my experience and partly on the experience of the friend I stayed with. Not much really bothered me apart from the bug infestation but for her most things seemed to bother her! I think if you come to Liku'alofa (or Tonga for that matter) expecting it to be like a Fijian resort enclave you will be sadly disappointed. However, if you go into it with the expectation that it will be a brand new experience then, like me, you just might love it.

Liku'alofa has little fales with rustic charm. They have a nice little patio area and are set in amongst the beautiful gardens which really are the jewel of liku'alofa. A lot of the outdoors makes it's way indoors though, with geckos (so cute), spiders, roaches, ants and other assorted bugs making themselves quite at home. You learn very quickly not to leave any food out!

A particular sore point for my friend was that there is no sandy beach. There is a stone wall with a rocky outcrop. The tidal pool has fish and crabs in it which I found quite funny.

The treehouse bar is amazing! A great place to chill out and watch a beautiful sunset. In the dry season apparently whales can be seen breaching near by which would be an incredible experience!

That is my main piece if advice - go to Tonga in the dry season!! We went in the wet season and got caught in torrential rain for days and there is no whales - I clearly didn't do my research very well!

Another wonderful thing about liku'alofa is the staff, they are just lovely people who go out of their way for you, and the island night is good fun and karaoke in particular! Stand outs for staff included Barry, Robert, Nancy, Rosa and Elvis.

There was so many unconventional elements of liku'alofa and Tonga in general but I wouldn't exchange any of it for the typical tourist experience. I left liku'alofa with my new friends waving goodbye and me genuinely feeling that I had left a piece of my heart there. So forget Fiji, and try something much more special.

• Stayed January 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank X-Alice-the-Camel-X
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kanokupolu
Little Italy Hotel
The Black Pearl Suites
The Black Pearl Suites
#6 of 13 in Nuku'alofa
White Sands Beach Resort

Been to Liku'alofa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!