“Not what it seems, especially with a dog.”
Review of Gimo Herrgard

Gimo Herrgard
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Gimo
New York, New York, United States
“Not what it seems, especially with a dog.”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I am not reviewing the main building of the hotel, i have no idea if that is good or not. My review is specifically about going to the hotel with a dog and staying there.
We wanted a weekend get away during easter, to be out in the country and relax. We had looked at the website of the hotel and it looked very nice, and were expecting that, currently renovated etc. The hotel has one rum for people traveling with dogs, priced just the same as the rest of the hotel. There are no pictures on the website of this room and it is not in the main building but one of the side ones. The room was not anything like what was shown on the website, i would guess it was renovated sometime in 1970's with dirty looking carpet floors, cheap dated looking furniture and bed and a tiny bathroom with also horrible finishes, this was nothing close to what was on the website. After seeing the room we went back to the reception and said the room was not what we expected and that we want to check out, they said we had to still pay full price for the room for all the nights because it was pass the cancellation time, and told us we should just make the best out of the situation. This is one of the most absurd things i have ever heard a hotel say, you do not book a room at a hotel at your own expense to make the best of a situation, the hotel is supposed to try to accommodate you, not the other way around. I think this hotel miss represents what it is completely, if they at least would have warned us, sent us pictures of the room before we arrived we could have made an informed decision about booking a stay there, instead we feel they tricked us with what to expect of the hotel, the decor, the quality and so forth. The hotel did nothing to try to make the situation better or even apologize. I would never recommend this place to anyone, they need to be a lot clearer with what the hotel is and what to expect of it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mathias S, Director of Sales at Gimo Herrgard, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear orwellthemaltese,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is our ambition to ensure all our guests enjoy a magnificent stay in our hotel and hence our guests' opinions are vital for us. I am sorry to hear that your room did not live up to your expectations. It is correct that we do not allow pets in most rooms and suites; we have one standard double room located in an adjacent building in which we allow pets. We do not allow pets in our suites or superior rooms. The pet-friendly room features a king-size bed, fireplace, Cable-TV, Mini-bar and complimentary Wi-fi.

This room is highly sought after, especially during a holiday such as Easter, and we required full payment as we were not able to sell the room to another guest with such a short notice. It is not our intention to trick anyone and the booking confirmation clearly stated the conditions for cancelling your reservation.

Once again, thank you very much for taking the time to send us your feedback.

Best regards,

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Verbier, Switzerland
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

It looks amazing online but is nothing that it makes itself out to be sadly. Hugely over priced & really not worth it. Stunning setting on the lake with nice grounds but the cost really detracts from that. We had a triple room for one night, I couldn't move the following day as the bed was SO soft it screwed up my back. 'Rain' shower didn't work, shower door fell off its hinges, dinner was disappointing; we were offered the special asparagus during the 'asparagus festival' to be told as they were serving starter that my choice had run out, same thing happened with pudding. And quite frankly charging £2.50 for tap water is daylight robbery! Bicycles were 'free' but of the 5 we needed, 2 had flat tyres and none were adjustable saddles so unusable for my father who has limited knee bend. A real shame, but left us all reeling from the prices; even appreciating that Sweden is expensive anyway. Final point that riled me, only access to wifi if you pay.....shocking at that room cost.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vanessa B
Mathias S, Director of Sales at Gimo Herrgard, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Vanessa B,
Thank you very much for sharing your opinions about your stay. We strive to be one of Sweden's top hotels and feedback from our guests is vital in our continous work to stay on top of things. I am really sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. I often hear very good things about our guestroom beds but I certainly do acknowledge the fact that we all have different tastes and your comment has been noted and will be considered when we replace our beds in the future. I have checked your shower and the rain shower does work, however, you are absolutely right about the door hinges. Guests at Gimo Herrgård should definitely expect a thing like that to be working properly and maintenance has now made sure it does. I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you and your travel company.

A good meal is often a major part of a stay in our hotel. We take pride in delivering high quality food from the season's finest ingredients. We made a mistake in ordering the right quantity for some of the ingredients in the "Asparagus menu". I sincerely apologize for this and I would like to think that the steps now taken by our executive chef to ensure this does not happen again are adequate and satisfying. I have been informed that you received a compensation for your meal and I am glad that my co-worker found a suitable solution to your problem.

Regarding the water, since a few months we do no longer serve bottled mineral water in our F&B outlets and now instead serve Thoreau Water which is a microfiltered water that is served either still or sparkling. Non-filtered tap water is available on request and for that we do not charge anything. I am sorry for not being clear enough with this information.

Once again, I sincerely thank you for reviewing us. I can assure you that your comments are treated with the utmost seriousness and are fundamental in our future work.

I wish you a great summer!

Kind regards,
Mathias

Travelers are raving about these Gimo hotels

Tampere
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This is a very nice hotel in a quite part of the countryside. It is an old building which is great and I am sure filled with history. The gardens I imagine must be great in summer as the total property is very large and boarders onto alake.
I stayed in one of the 'other' buildings, which is not connected to the main building and the walk takes only a few minutes, but walking back after dinner in a cold winter wind is not that pleasant. The room was well decorated.
I guess most things are expensive in Swedenm but I would say that although a very pleasant stay, this was a bit more than expected (cost wise) and therefore I would say only average value for money.

Room Tip: In Winter I would try to ensure that you are in the main building as walking between the 'other...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ChRoux
Mathias S, Director of Sales at Gimo Herrgard, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Dear clcroux,
Thank you for your review, we really appreciate hearing from you. You are absolutely right; the gardens are really beautiful during the summer and walking between the different buildings, the boathouse and the parks is a most enjoyable walk. It may, however, not be the same during winter and we are currently looking for solutions that are in line with both the landmark protection guidelines and our own environmental initiatives. Again, thank you very much for taking the time to review us and I wish you a happy holiday season.

Best regards,
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We booked a romantic weekend with dinner and afternoon tea and got a very low price, so I would say it was definitley good value for the money. HOWEVER there were several things that would have infuriated us if we had paid full price;
- The four course dinner was very average. The soup was fantastic but the main dish (meat) had a feel of being mass produced. Good wines though!
- Small room with two single beds pushed together, NOT what you are looking for on a romantic getaway....

But the location is just lovely, right on the side of the lake, with a nice sauna/jacuzi to enjoy a warm summer evening.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hyperenough
Stockholm
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Bad service, long queue at check in. broken floor heating in room, Disgusting outdoor tub. Our appetizer was champagne from on old bottle=no gas left. When we complained our drinks where given to the next guests :-( and we got two new glasses from the same old bottle. Appallingly slow service, rude waiter. Ice cold starter and wine too war... you could not call the food or wines gourmet dinner it was simple, wrong temperature and over priced. Bad TV reception in hotel room. Decoration cheap. No newspapers on a Sunday.. the list could me made long and there where many upset guest complaining at reception

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kalleviken
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed October 11, 2010

The hotel is beautifully located by a lake and close to the village of Gimo. The room was a standard even though we had booked a suit (after being adviced by the staff over the phone that there were no standard rooms available). Overall, the staff seemed rather confused about which package we had ordered and we had to keep reminding them what we had paid for.
The tea buffe had a great variety of deserts and the dinner was delicious!
The room had a good size and beautiful furniture, but we had expected a bathtub in the bathroom.
Overall the hotel is overpriced and even though we enjoyed the stay we are happy we did not get to pay for it (it was a wedding present) and we would probably not visit it again (unless they drop their prices!)

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed August 19, 2010

The best thing about this hotel is it's web site. From there, it looks like a really plush and elegant place; in reality it is plain and tired and a bit frayed around the edges.

Once you get over the shock of the disparity between their marketing and the reality, it's not a bad place-- just too expensive for what you get. And don't make the mistake of taking your luggage in to the reception before you are assigned your room; after dragging it across what we were told is the largest gravel forecourt of any herrgård in Sweden, you will likely have to drag it all the way back again, as most of the rooms are in other buildings.

What's good about it? Very quiet and relaxed. Beautiful location beside a lake, with canoes to loan; sumptuous breakfast buffet at which you can easily eat enough to last till dinner; very good cuisine, with an affable and relaxed German chef-- on Thursdays there is an all-you-can eat barbecue worth savouring as well. Staff was friendly and helpful. We took advantage of the bicycles on loan to explore the town, but were disappointed to discover it was too far to the seacoast to cycle comfortably.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1950ToNow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gimo
Hotell Havsbaden
#4 of 6 in Osthammar
Epokgarden
Epokgarden
#4 of 5 in Oregrund

Been to Gimo Herrgard? Share your experiences!