“Fab for birders, great to just relax” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crooked Tree Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crooked Tree
Crooked Tree Lodge
London, United Kingdom
“Fab for birders, great to just relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I loved my 2 day stay here - it was just perfect for me - at the end of an active 3 week holiday in Belize. I was able to totally relax and go for leisurely bird-watching walks (accompanied sometimes by friendly dogs). Mick and Angie were perfect hosts and are both great chefs, cooking delicious meals and catering very well with my dairy intolerance. Big tasty breakfasts are included and lunch and dinner is provided if you want. My cabana was clean and adequately furnished with a very comfy bed, efficient mosquito screens and an electric fan to keep me cool.The lodge is a fabulous place for couples and families too - and there are camping facilities. I certainly recommend a stay at this lodge, particularly for anyone interested in birds, and I will definitely stay there again myself when I return to Belize.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank LindiLoo193

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

The lodge is beautiful and surrounded by a lagoon and amazing greenery! We stayed there for two nights on our way to Caye Caulker. It is a 30-minute or so cab ride from the airport but its worth it! The cabanas are simple and clean and well priced. Mick and Angie are great hosts and go out of their way to make you feel at home. Angie was quick to respond to all my questions and helped me plan some of our outings...she recommended the Lamanai eco tour and we loved it!! The accomodation comes with breakfast and dinner - cooked by Mick and Angie themselves..and the food is delicious! If you dont have any plans to go out on day trips you can just chill on the hammocks overlooking the lagoon and watch the birds and wildlife around you! This place is great for couples or families. We definitely recommend the Crooked Tree Lodge for your vacation in Belize!

Room Tip: We chose a basic cabana with a double bed- comes with fans and an attached bath. If you have specifi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lotika G
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stopped here for the final 2 days of our trip. For the most part it was the wrong time of the year as the heat was oppressive and there was not much water in the lagoon. It did make it easy to see the Jabiru storks as they didn't move too far away from the water. When the lagoon is full you can apparently swim in it. The number of birds at the right season is no doubt impressive. We knew we weren't at the best season but had to stop overnight on our way home so we check it out. Still the flyovers of wood storks and others at dusk was a beautiful sight.
The lodge itself is beautiful and the food excellent. Angie and Mick were very helpful.
The rooms themselves are minimalist but adequate. They have a large bathroom but the room is relatively small and not much room to keep luggage. We used one of the 2 beds and slept in the other. The room fan was a necessity and could barely keep up with heat. It rained the day we left and the temperature moderated so we were obviously in one of the hottest times of the year.
I would recommend a car in this location if you are staying any length of time so you can make it to some of the other locations around the lagoon which were worth seeing although walking might have been an option if it hadn't been so hot. Also it would be nice to have a map of the location so you knew the best places to walk to. If it hadn't been so hot we would have explored a bit more.
We would like to stay again at a different time of the year.

2 Thank buisonkoss
Abingdon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights when we first arrived in Belize. We'd hired a car and it's an easy drive from the airport. The lodge is in a beautiful, peaceful setting. Although the lagoon was very low due to it being the end of the dry season there is a lot of wildlife to see and lots of places to relax in the grounds. Our cabana was spacious and clean, it's lovely having your own little deck area. No aircon, but the breeze is great and we slept comfortably with the fans on. Food was gorgeous - Angie kindly made us some lunch when we arrived and we had 2 dinners and breakfasts which were all delicious. Mick and Angie are great hosts, we didn't meet their kids, but we did meet the dogs who took us on a walk into the village! Mick arranged our trip to Lamanai when we arrived and was really helpful with advice re some nasty insect bites (all sorted - thank you Mick!). Would definitely recommend staying here.

1 Thank HelenSew
Vancouver and Kelowna
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

From the pickup at the Airport by Neil, to the very second we left this wonderful place, our two night stay was perfect.

Angie and Mick are great hosts, and look after all the little things and then some. I don't even know where to start.

The accomodations were perfect. Clean, quiet and comfortable. The food is great, the views are phonemonal and the birds are electric. We really enjoyed both the trecking around and birding as much as laying back and shooting the you know what with other guests and the Hosts.

Mick and Angie arranged a local guide, Glenn, who was terrific at calling, listening and sighting birds. In our one day trip with him, we hit almost 100 species. He is born and bred locally and loves this his town and the flora and fauna that make it so special. As we were loading up our taxi back to BZE Glenn showed up with a Belizean license plate that I had mentioned in passing that I would like to find one to bring home. He gave it me and would not accept anything in return. It was this type of gesture that is Crooked Tree in a nutshell (pun intended re: cashews, you'll understand when you get there).

One other thing, Mick overheard my wife and I say something about it being my wife's birthday, and wouldn't you know it. There was a cake with my wife's name on it for desert that night. What more can you say...

Room Tip: I only saw the inside of the second cabana to the right of the main lodge and it was large with a qu...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Damienz
Canmore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed at the Crooked Tree Lodge at the very end of our trip to Belize and it was a great finale. It was very relaxing with lots of places to "chill" in the shade and very peaceful and quiet. And it was a great introduction to guided birding for us - Angie arranged for Robert, a local guide, to take us for an early morning bird walk. Not knowing quite what to expect, we were amazed at the number of brightly coloured birds he found for us, just on the grounds of the lodge! We also had time to walk along the edge of the lagoon to the Visitor Centre, spotting various shore birds along the way. Even though the water in the lagoon was extremely low, and we were unable to do a boat tour, the birding was still great. Also, the food was fantastic and very plentiful.

After some initial confusion on our behalf, Angie helped us figure out how to get a bus direct from Belize City to the village (most buses stop at the highway and you need to arrange a pick-up) - you need to catch the bus run by Jex & Sons, from beside Mike's Club on Regent St, Belize City, leaving at 10.50 am. For returning to Belize City, this bus only leaves Crooked Tree early am, around 5, 6, and 6.30 am so we arranged a ride back with Angie's husband, Mick, in the afternoon.

Woodacre
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

In November 2012, I was traveling solo around Belize visiting different nature preserves. I made a special point of going to Crooked Tree Lodge as I'd heard it was the best place to see the rare Jabiru Stork and a friend had spoken highly of the lodge. I was traveling by bus and Angie, who runs the lodge with her husband Mick, kindly drove out to get me at the bus stop to bring me to the lodge which is down a long road off the main highway. When we arrived, she got me settled into a sweet cabin that overlooked the lagoon. The grounds of the Lodge are stunningly beautiful and the Lodge, itself, with its comfortable dining room and decor, is a handcrafted work of art.
I'd had a long day of travel, and Angie personally made me a lovely cup of tea with honey, per my request. In chatting with her, I learned it was too early for the Jabiru to be there. I was greatly disappointed after coming so far in hopes of seeing them, but knowing there were plenty of other wonderful birds and wildlife in the vicinity, Angie called a friend of hers who's a nature guide, to make arrangements for a personal birding outing which was terrific.
There was another wildlife sanctuary I wanted to visit next after Crooked Tree and Angie went out of her way to make a multitude of phone calls, on my behalf, to inquire about available accommodations and to find out the bus schedule and the timing of connections that would enable me to reach the sanctuary. When it was time to leave Crooked Tree, Angie generously offered to drive me out to the highway and by the time we parted it felt like we were old friends. She's a truly wonderful person and her husband is a great guy, as well. Their little boy is a sweetheart, too. The Lodge is beautifully kept and the birding there is terrific.
I highly recommend Crooked Tree Lodge and hope to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
#2 of 3 in Crooked Tree
Chan Chich Lodge
Chan Chich Lodge
#2 of 8 in Orange Walk

Been to Crooked Tree Lodge? Share your experiences!