“Pleasant surprise”

Black Orchid Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Burrell Boom
Reviewed January 30, 2011

After reading many reviews on Belize City hotels, we opted for Black Orchid, as it seemed the only place you wouldn't be guarenteed to be robbed and mugged.

It's about a 20min drive to the Intl airport, which seemed to be included in our rate (wasnt charged extra). We stayed here for a stress free trip to the airport.

Room was huge, with a huge queen sized bed! Had a great nights sleep.

Service was superb from Joe and Beverly and the rest of the team.

Nice river side location where we saw toucans, iguanas and heard howler monkeys in the distance.

I wished we'd stayed for more time. Not just a one night stop off.

Food was ok.

Pool was welcomed in the mid day heat.

Recommend over staying in town.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 20, 2011

The best staff I have ever met on any trip! I didn't feel like I was a tourist on vacation, I felt like I was visiting friends I had never met. I felt more at home there, than I do at home. I recommend this resort to anyone who wants to see all Belize has to offer. It's in a prime location for ecotourism. There are Mayan Ruins, caves, river activities, and much more in close proximity. Burrell Boom is also a very nice town with a few grocery stores and restaurants in walking distance. The people in town are very friendly and the owner of the resort is as cool as they come. Any tours we wanted to do, we just let the concierge know a couple days before and they got us there and back with no problems. It was kind of shocking how good the service was. I've stayed in some pricey resorts in the U.S., and service didn't even come close to the Black Orchid. That's because it was genuine. Greatest vacation ever, and I plan to return.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 16, 2011

They need to work out the kinks in their computer system. I was booked in a riverfront room and upon arrival was told there had been a mixup and my room had been given to someone else and we had to take a roadside room with absolutely no view! Did not appreciate that they didn't try to compensate me in any way for their mistake.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2011

This was without a doubt the most excellent vacation experience I have ever been on. The atmosphere at the Black Orchid is that of your own home. Everyone who works here only wants to make you comfortable. The food was excellent, I haven't felt like I've eaten this good in years. The quality of the cabin we stayed in was superb. According to the management it was being renovated, hence the HALF PRICE discounted price. And yet I saw no renovation nor did I feel like my accommodations were sub par or affected in any way. The cabin by the way is bigger than my house back home! The very first night we arrived the owner of the resort took us out on his boat and gave us a once in a lifetime chance to experience the Belize River at night! Our party is quite the group of adventurers and we had all of our trips taken care of by the front desk employees with absolutely no hassle. Even when we had to change up our plans day of for a trip to the mayan ruins at Caracol they were more than pleased to pay back all the money we had payed up front with no charges or bad feelings. Thank you kindly to every member of the Black orchid team for making me feel pampered and completely exceeding my expectations. It has truly been a treat and a pleasure.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chubbyfudge1
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Black Orchid Resort is the only resort that is only 15 minutes away from the airport which makes transportation very easy. In addition, free friendly taxi services between the resort and the airport is a plus. The resort is located right next to the river bank which means it is totally ideal for both water transportation and/or tour.

The food is very soooooooo good and the price is affordable. Looking from my perspective, I would say it is way too cheap to eat at the resort and the food is amazing.

Last but not least, the staff are very very good, friendly, sincere, and personal. We have travelled all over the world and we have to say that Black Orchid Resort offers the best customer service ranging from the owners themselves to the office staff, waiters/waitresses, and housekeeping personnel. Emotionally, we feel were at home and the staff were our family. They made sure we were comfortable and they checked on us to make sure that all our needs are met. They took time to talk to us and they made all accommodation possible ranging from booking the tours, driving us around or facilitating the tours themselves, and keeping the room clean and comfortable for my family.

The massage was most appreciated especially after the long tour to the Maya Ruins... the price was very affordable and the experience was somewhat magical. My family enjoyed the massage very so much. Thank you.

I highly appreciate my wonderful experience as my family spent both Christmas and New Year at the resort. We look forward to come back to the resort this year. We highly recommend this resort to others who are looking for a "home away from home" when on vacation.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank feedbackoropinion
Reviewed January 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night after spending 8 nights in Placencia to avoid having to drive to the airport super early in the morning from Placencia. When we first arrived, we were impressed with the beautiful grounds and setting of this resort. We had a decent lunch at the restaurant (I had the fish burger, which was fresh and good, my husband had fish and chips, which were mediocre). Our dinner, however, was absolutely disgusting. I ordered the lobster pasta. The lobster tasted like it was from a can - I could only eat a couple of bites from it. The red sauce was almost certainly from a can also, and the vegetables were not fresh at all (and consisted of wilted broccoli and cauliflower). My husband's steak was incredibly thin, tough, and completely overdone (he had ordered it medium rare, and it looked like shoe leather). It also took literally 60 minutes for us to receive our food, even though we were the only people in the restaurant. The hotel room was clean but nothing luxurious. The television was extremely small, but did have quite a few channels. We must have been at the hotel at the same time as the previous posters, as we were also awakened in the middle of the night by a drunken bridesmaid screaming at the top of her lungs for 45 minutes. We had no idea what was going on, and it was quite frightening, as we were concerned that she might damage our rental car parked right outside. When we complained the next day, the hotel manager laughed and did not seem sympathetic to our restless night. We ended up leaving the hotel before breakfast to avoid having another meal in that horrid restaurant. The restaurant at the Belize City airport is far superior to this one.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tracyw825
Reviewed December 27, 2010

Maybe it was that we were charged two different room rates for two identical rooms.

Maybe it was the over priced food (compared to the cheaper/way better food almost every where else in Belize).

Or maybe it was the drunken bridesmaid who decided that she'd scream incoherently in the middle of the night in front of our rooms.

Whatever it was, Black Orchid Resort felt like a lackluster summer camp down to the paddle boats, murky river and the feeling of "oh man I wanna go home".
There were definitely some highlights, the staff are extremely nice (albeit inefficient service providers) and it wasn't the worst place I've ever stayed. But
the hype behind this place is ridiculous.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
#2 of 26 in Belize City
Royal Palm Island Resort
Royal Palm Island Resort
#2 of 2 in St. George's Caye

Been to Black Orchid Resort? Share your experiences!