“An Amazing Positive Experience”

Black Orchid Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Burrell Boom
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Black Orchid Resort is the only resort that is only 15 minutes away from the airport which makes transportation very easy. In addition, free friendly taxi services between the resort and the airport is a plus. The resort is located right next to the river bank which means it is totally ideal for both water transportation and/or tour.

The food is very soooooooo good and the price is affordable. Looking from my perspective, I would say it is way too cheap to eat at the resort and the food is amazing.

Last but not least, the staff are very very good, friendly, sincere, and personal. We have travelled all over the world and we have to say that Black Orchid Resort offers the best customer service ranging from the owners themselves to the office staff, waiters/waitresses, and housekeeping personnel. Emotionally, we feel were at home and the staff were our family. They made sure we were comfortable and they checked on us to make sure that all our needs are met. They took time to talk to us and they made all accommodation possible ranging from booking the tours, driving us around or facilitating the tours themselves, and keeping the room clean and comfortable for my family.

The massage was most appreciated especially after the long tour to the Maya Ruins... the price was very affordable and the experience was somewhat magical. My family enjoyed the massage very so much. Thank you.

I highly appreciate my wonderful experience as my family spent both Christmas and New Year at the resort. We look forward to come back to the resort this year. We highly recommend this resort to others who are looking for a "home away from home" when on vacation.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank feedbackoropinion

Reviewed January 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night after spending 8 nights in Placencia to avoid having to drive to the airport super early in the morning from Placencia. When we first arrived, we were impressed with the beautiful grounds and setting of this resort. We had a decent lunch at the restaurant (I had the fish burger, which was fresh and good, my husband had fish and chips, which were mediocre). Our dinner, however, was absolutely disgusting. I ordered the lobster pasta. The lobster tasted like it was from a can - I could only eat a couple of bites from it. The red sauce was almost certainly from a can also, and the vegetables were not fresh at all (and consisted of wilted broccoli and cauliflower). My husband's steak was incredibly thin, tough, and completely overdone (he had ordered it medium rare, and it looked like shoe leather). It also took literally 60 minutes for us to receive our food, even though we were the only people in the restaurant. The hotel room was clean but nothing luxurious. The television was extremely small, but did have quite a few channels. We must have been at the hotel at the same time as the previous posters, as we were also awakened in the middle of the night by a drunken bridesmaid screaming at the top of her lungs for 45 minutes. We had no idea what was going on, and it was quite frightening, as we were concerned that she might damage our rental car parked right outside. When we complained the next day, the hotel manager laughed and did not seem sympathetic to our restless night. We ended up leaving the hotel before breakfast to avoid having another meal in that horrid restaurant. The restaurant at the Belize City airport is far superior to this one.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tracyw825
Reviewed December 27, 2010

Maybe it was that we were charged two different room rates for two identical rooms.

Maybe it was the over priced food (compared to the cheaper/way better food almost every where else in Belize).

Or maybe it was the drunken bridesmaid who decided that she'd scream incoherently in the middle of the night in front of our rooms.

Whatever it was, Black Orchid Resort felt like a lackluster summer camp down to the paddle boats, murky river and the feeling of "oh man I wanna go home".
There were definitely some highlights, the staff are extremely nice (albeit inefficient service providers) and it wasn't the worst place I've ever stayed. But
the hype behind this place is ridiculous.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 22, 2010

I stayed at the Black Orchid for my last night in Belize after a month of travelling around the country, purely based on Tripadvisor ratings. Upon arrival, my expectations were tested following a lack of organisation of which room I would be in (my booking stated a river view room at the garden view room rate). I decided to have lunch & an hour later, looking forward to being shown to a room, but still the drama continued. After a further half hour, I was gratefully shown to a lovely room.
My large room had two queen size beds with crisp deluxe linen, ceiling fan, split system air conditioner, many windows (complete with fly wires), numerous power points, TV with cable channels, bed side tables, settee, table & chairs. The room features I loved were the concrete floor with imbedded stone & high lofty ceilings. As my room was on the second floor, I had a lovely balcony overlooking the river with comfortable chairs. The only noise interference came from the room backing onto mine – I could clearly hear the occupants moving about, let alone talking. I happily wore ear plugs at night. The ensuite bathroom with shower & toilet were separate from the powder room (basin) & closet. Full linen, bars of soap & conditioning shampoo is supplied. The water pressure & temperature were great.
Free wifi is available throughout the hotel grounds. I was unable to get Next G mobile phone reception. Following asking on two occasions, I was impressed with the laundry turn around service in 3hrs (washed/dried/folded) – paid BZD$20/US$10. Disappointingly, there was no hotel directory in the room, so I had to scroll through all the TV channels, guess which number to call reception (which didn’t work anyway so had to walk down) nor know what the room service menu was. Frustratingly, I didn’t even find out what other services/amenities are available nor what the other buildings on the property were. I did find out the 4-bedroom villa is located next door to the Black Orchid Function Centre, which are located off the resort grounds, across the main road. From what I could identify, the resort layout includes three separate ‘houses’, consisting of four rooms (2 upstairs, 2 downstairs) and the main building, which has the reception & restaurant/bar downstairs.
The swimming pool (small pool towels available from reception, which I had to ask for 3 times) with sun lounges & deckchairs, is next to the outdoor bar overlooking the river makes for a picturesque setting – however is ruined by the blaring radio station with static of an indigenous male speaking. The lovely restaurant with outdoor dining area (screened for insects) adjoins the area. Room service restaurant meals are available at a tariff of 15%. The meals at the restaurant are absolutely delicious at reasonable prices: hamburger lunch BZD$13/US$6.50, fish dinner BZD$24/US$12, breakfast omelette BZD$18/US$9 & lasagne lunch BZD$18/US$9. These prices do NOT include 12.5% service charge.
Given my late flight, I asked for a late check out which was provided free of charge. There is a courtesy airport transfer to & from. I found the staff very friendly & courteous. Unfortunately, the hotel is located on the outskirts of Belize City, so there are no nearby amenities or services. According to the website, the resort offers the attraction of river based activities including the free use of kayaks, canoes & paddleboats. On check in, I asked if a massage could be arranged (given my tired body after 10 days of paddling) & again later in the afternoon, but was disappointed this was not followed up. Overall, I found the Black Orchid Resort almost perfect: stunning grounds, amazing rooms, delicious food & good staff service, however a few things let it down.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
BelizeRus, Owner at Black Orchid Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2010

Thank you for your very detailed and frank review of our facilities and service, we truly appreciate your input and will act on them immediately. Indeed the directories are already in the room. You may have noticed our lounge area in the restaurant that was installed as a direct result of guest feed back. We continue to strive for perfection and feed back really helps.

Thanks again
Doug Thompson

Reviewed December 3, 2010

My husband and I travelled to Belize for two weeks and we started our trip at the Black Orchid Resort. We were very happy with our stay here.

First, It was nice and easy to get out of the airport and have Lance, from the hotel, waiting to take us straight to the resort, no need to catch a taxi or rent a car. Our room was large and very clean. The king size bed was comfortable and the bathroom was a good size. Our package with the hotel included meals and some activities which were a great value! We were very happy with all of our meals, nice large menu to choose from and excellent fresh squeezed fruit juices. For activites we did ziplining, cave tubing ( with the extra Crystal Cave tour) and Lamani. The tour companies that the Black Orchid work with are excellent, we had a blast!

I have yet to mention the staff, they were friendly and amazing! They always were asking how we were and making sure we had a good time. We were driven around to excursions by Black Orchid staff and they were very informative, on time and I felt very safe. By far the best customer service we recieved while in Belize.

Overall, I would recommend anyone to stay at the Black Orchid. It's a great alternative to staying in Belize City. Also if you are planning on going to the Cayes, I would recommend staying a few nights inland and doing any excursions you had planned (zip lining, cave tubing, mayan ruins). If you get to the Cayes and decide you want to do an inland excursion they cost alot more, and the travel time is much longer. Our longest travel time from Black Orchid was 45-60min, from the Cayes it's a boat ride ( I think 90 mins?), followed by a few hour bus ride. Just a suggestion

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CourtKel
Reviewed September 21, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights at B.O.R. and frankly, I don't understand the gushing reviews found here. BOR has nothing outstanding going for it (there were a few notable staff members).

We had lunch one day, the portions were so small (ceviche & fajitas), we had to order something else...when it came, it was horrible, we didn't finish it and the waitress was very flippant about the whole matter (the tripadvisor poster who earlier commented on boxed and pre-formed meat was not wrong!). For dinner that evening (there is really nowhere else to go for dinner), we commented to our waiter about the horrid food earlier, and he ensured we ordered the freshest item (fish), which wasn't too bad. During our last night's dinner, the chef approached us as he had heard about our disastrous lunch previously, and ensured us that as he was back cooking that night, that we would have an outstanding meal....and he didn't lie...his dish was very fresh, the vegetables perfectly cooked, and showed his care in cooking.

If you want to avoid the hotels in Belize City, then BOR is outside the city but near to the airport. It is 10 miles to the Community Baboon Sanctuary (howler monkeys), and about 20 minutes to the Belize Zoo...other than that, not worth staying at. In hindsight, we should have stayed longer in the Cayo District (which we loved!), and taken the ride in early to the airport.

Pluses - air con, wi-fi, pool (if that's your thing), next to the Belize River, complimentary transport to/from airport, some staff are pleasant.

Minuses - bikes are very tired (we cycled the 20 miles round trip to the Baboon Sanctuary on them - ouch!), depending on the chef - food ranges from bad to good, high prices considering nothing notable about the resort, cruise ship traffic during the morning at the resort.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ecowoman
BelizeRus, Owner at Black Orchid Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2010

As you may be able to discern from the overwhelming number of our guest I take tremendous care to ensure that we provide the best possible care and service for our guests at the Black Orchid Resort. Therefore when I receive a review like this one that is so diametrically different it causes me pause and a need to investigate what went wrong.

Having completed my investigation I take this opportunity
to apologize to my guest as she did not receive our full attention which she fully deserve and at the same time correct some misconceptions.

Firstly .ceviche is an appetizer on our lunch menu and as such is served as a small portion. The waitress should have pointed that out to our guest. I was unable to determine what went wrong with the beef burger that was ordered but I can assure our guest that our beef patties are customer made for Black Orchid Resort utilizing the best possible ground steak. Again the waitress did not notify me or any supervisor that the guest was not happy with the burger.

Secondly, the bikes that were used belong to members of our staff who lives in the nearby village; they ride to and from work on those bikes which are quit adequate for their short commute. Several of our guests historically have borrowed those bikes to go see the village and our staff has no problem with that. No one on my staff had any idea that this guest was going to ride 18 plus miles up hill for the most part on those bikes, so I was surprised to learn that they did.

Some cruise passengers do stop at the resort for lunch, they normally get here around 10:00 a.m. and are gone by 12:00 noon, 98% of our overnight guests never see them as they normally leave on adventure tours before 10:00 a.m. And don't return until well in the afternoon. Our experience with those overnight guests that do see the cruise passengers have been generally positive. They enjoy the entertainment.

As always we appreciate guest feedback and take action to correct problems. In this case two distinctively changes were made. 1. We terminated the waitress not only as a result of this incident; she was a new employee on probation that proved to be problematic in a number of ways. 2. Whereas Black Orchid Resort has always offered canoes, kayaks, and peddle boats for complimentary use by our guests bikes has never been on that list. I have decided as a result of this experience to add complimentary use of bikes and will purchase 2 immediately for that purpose, with the intent to add 2 more as finances become available.

Lastly I can assure our guest that our restaurant is adequately staffed with a head Chef and several cooks who have consistently put out a wide variety of foods. The only difference between the cooks and Chef is that the Chef can produce many more dishes than what is on our regular menu. Our restaurant is open 7 days per week from 7 a.m. Until 9:00p.m. All our dishes are cooked to order; processed food is not cost effective and violates our environmental policies as an eco-friendly resort.
Respectfully
Doug Thompson

Reviewed August 16, 2010

From the moment we were picked up at the airport in Belize City until we were taken to the ferry boat, we felt well cared for and that we were among friends. We stayed at the Black Orchid for 3 nights. Our sons, 19 and 22, had their own room next door to ours. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The grounds of the resort are lovely and well cared for. We ate in the dining room there each night. Though the menu is a little limited,the food was very good and the atmosphere relaxed. Each night, we discussed our next days plans with our hosts and by morning we had an excellent adventure to look forward to. We were driven in the resort's shuttle exactly where we needed to go. On our last day we simply took out the resorts paddle boat and made our own river tour and then lounged by the pool. There was abundant wildlife to watch right out the dining room window as well.
If you are the type that likes to take off on your own, you would probably want your own car but for us, we were content to plan our excursions and have our friendly resort staff members help us get there.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
#2 of 26 in Belize City
Royal Palm Island Resort
Royal Palm Island Resort
#2 of 2 in St. George's Caye

Been to Black Orchid Resort? Share your experiences!