My wife and I (both seniors) made our first trip to Belize in early December, 2009 and decided to stay three nights on the mainland before going to Ambergris Caye. We elected to use the services of a local travel agent (Kim Chanona with Up Close Belize) to book our hotels, rental car, and inter-island flights) and we elected to stay at the Black Orchid Resort in Burrell Boom, Belize.
The Black Orchid Resort is exceptional in every way:
Location - about 25 minutes from the Belize airport and situated on approximately two acres (my guess) right on the Belize river in a jungle setting;
Facilities - outstanding in every aspect, very spacious and well appointed rooms, plenty of windows to let in the wonderful outdoors, everything works (the resort opened in 2005) and the landscaping is beautiful;
Dinning - a terrific experience. The area is under-roof, open but screened in, and has the in-the-middle-of-the-jungle feel. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner (it's a good thing, because there isn't much else to choose from for miles around). The meals are well prepared, served in a timely manner, very tasty and the menu offers many choices;
Staff - Doug and his wife have assembled a staff that truly care about their visitors. Each individual showed honest interest and took extra care to insure our experience was enjoyable. Everything was more than we expected, not a single disappointment.
Going the extra mile - our connecting flight out of Detroit had been delayed three hours so we didn't arrive at the Black Orchid until close to 8:00 pm. But there was Doug, the owner, standing outside to welcome us and direct our way. I knew at that point we had selected the right place to start our Belizean experience.
Note: If your trip to Belize might require an overnight stay before continuing to another destination don't look to facilities in Belize City - look to nearby Burrell Boom and the Black Orchid Resort - tell Doug we sent you. You'll love the experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belize has such contrasts from the beaches to the jungle to the Mayan ruins, from the rivers to the Cayes, a good base from which to see it all, is the Black Orchid Resort on the banks of the Belize River on the outskirts of Burrell Boom Village, fifteen minutes from the international airport it’s easy to reach and easy to leave from. Just a short distance away from Belize City, the resort is also within an hour’s drive of most of the country’s mainland attractions, making it a convenient launching point for your vacation adventures. We provide accommodations with an ambiance of environmental radiance, alluring air conditioned rooms and immaculate, quiet and safe grounds. We are an excellent alternative to Belize City and gateway to all Belize has to offer; with knowledgeable guides and transportation for snorkeling, deep sea fishing, cave tubing, Maya Ruin tours, complimentary international airport shuttle, free use of kayaks, canoes, peddle boats and free wireless internet access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Black Orchid Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Black Orchid Hotel Burrell Boom
- Black Orchid Belize City
- Black Orchid Resort Belize/Burrell Boom