“SPECIAL”

Black Orchid Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Burrell Boom
Reviewed May 18, 2014

great ambiance, a very special, romantic space. This was a lovely property. The management was very involved and available to make the stay a memorable event. All of the tours were also excellent .... I did river trip and baboon sanctuary. With Caesar.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Anflyatjuno

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Very clean and very friendly resort. We stayed in a giant one bedroom two bed room. The room had a lovely balcony overlooking the Belize river. The hotel has a great continental breakfast. Also, there are free boats you can take on the river during your stay.

The hotel is about 7 miles north of the city. So, be prepared to either take a taxi or rent a car. We rented a car from Crystal Car Rentals.

Room Tip: Get a room by the river. Get up early for the breakfast.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2014

My wife and I have been traveling for many years. I have used Trip Advisor to research my travel plans but have never taken the time to write any reviews. Once we returned from our trip to Belize I deceided it was time for me to start helping others plan their vacations. The first part of our trip was absolutely incredible, best ever, (see my other review), then we stayed at The Black Orchid Resort. First I must say that the grounds are very well landscaped making for a really nice setting. Also the kitchen staff, waiters and bar tender were all very nice.

However, ten months in advance we booked a nearby river front house through the Black Orchid. Approximately two weeks before our travel we were notified that the house was unavailable. I was okay with that as I understand things happen. We were promised an upgraded room. The room we were given was magnificient. The next morning our entry door broke and my wife and I had to climb in and out of our window to access our room. The staff attempted unsuccesflly to fix the door.

Upon checking out, we were asked for our key. I reminded the young lady who my wife and I thought was the manager and the front desk man that we were the people climbing in and out of our window and the key was stuck in the door. They laughed, I didn' find any humor in the situation. During our stay the owner was on the grounds mingling with numerous guests. He never took the time to see how we were doing or ask if there was anything he could do to make up for the broken door.

I traveled in February of this year. Upon returning home I received an email from Black Orchid asking us to post a "positive" review on Trip Advisor. I immediately responded with my concerns to the management of Black Orchid and to this day have never recevied a reply. I believe two months is adequate time for the owner to contact us back. We didn't expect our stay to be comped but the owner didn't even show me the courteousy of a response.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get the room with the broken door.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
9  Thank PETE N
Reviewed April 30, 2014

The first thing we heard on getting here is that we had received a free upgrade! Room was great, comfortable, well appointed. The pool was being worked on our whole trip, but it didn't affect us in any way. The front desk arranged three day trips for each day we were there, and they all went off without a hitch. They recommended we visit Lamanai instead of Xanatunich (mayan ruins) and Lamanai was a great experience. They drive you to each place where the guides pick you up for your tour. We had the options of kayaking, fishing, cycling etc at the resort itself. The only issue, if any, is that you are restricted to the restaurant there as you are 20 minutes outside of Belize City and the village (Burrell Boom) didn't have eating options. Again, this wasn't a problem for us as they had great specials at night which incorporated traditional Belize dishes.
The service was wonderful and extremely friendly.
We were at the resort for the entirety of our 5 day stay and would definitely come back if we visit Belize again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gomedusa
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed at the Black Orchid for only 1 night but really liked our time there. The staff was attentive and the food was some of the best that we had in Belize (and cheap!). We canoed the river which was nice and had them take us to the Baboon Sanctuary which was amazing. They charged a lot for the trip which was a bit annoying, but it was such a great experience that we didn't mind.

The rooms are really nice - we were upgraded to a room with a roof deck area which would have been nice but it wasn't really ready. The hot tub wasn't working and there seemed to be a bit of construction going on there, but when this is all done it will be amazing.

The service was crazy slow in the restaurants but the staff was really nice and the food was delicious.

The location is quite and serene - not sure that I would have wanted to stay there longer since it is a drive to get to most places but we loved the day that we spent there.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2014

In mid March my wife, teenage daughter and I spent 3 nights here. It was our first visit to the Black Orchid and at the end of our first time in belize.
I must say, the buildings and grounds exceeded my expectations and impressions of the place from prior research on Trip Advisor. The neat and nicely painted multi storied buildings with their large verandas off the rooms really give the place a colonial or old tropic feel. We enjoyed ourselves just wandering around the place, down to the boat dock or just sitting by the pool observing birds and lizards. Two real treats were seeing some large Iguanas on the lawn and in the big (Guanacaste?) tree just above the river and a troop of Howler monkeys that were in another tree for two days! The place is quite and peaceful and the staff are numerous, friendly and helpful (many thanks to Beverly).
The hotel arranged a ride to the Belize Zoo and we really enjoyed our morning there. The hotel will provide a "guide" to accompany you if you want that but you'll save money if you just have the front desk get someone to drive you to the zoo, drop you off and pick you up later. That's what we did. Basically, you don't need a guide at the zoo (while at the zoo we noticed quite a few small groups with guides and wondered, "what for?"). The next day, we opted for the guided tour of Belize City - also arranged by the Black Orchid - and that was pretty good value. It included a tour of the Traveller's Rum distillery (the booze is really cheap there - at least by Canadian standards) and the Museum of Belize.
Our room was excellent. Very large with simple but tasteful furnishings and lots of wood paneling. There was also a small fridge, TV and the beds were very comfortable. It had air conditioning, too but we opted for the ceiling fan instead (gotta maintain that old tropic feel, right?).
The only negative about the Black Orchid and the reason why I cannot give it an "excellent" rating is the restaurant food. The complimentary breakfasts taken in the outside lounge were fine but the restaurant meals were abysmal. Every meal I had in the restaurant was like that; it was like their regular chef was maybe off sick while we were there and they had to bring in someone with no prior culinary experience. I may be grasping at straws here, but I believe the problem here is that they provide all of this Gringo food on the menu but with only a faint idea on how to prepare it. I recommend to the Back Orchid management either more training for the chef, better ingredients and/or scrap most of the gringo fare and provide some real Belizean food!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Shaun P
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We just completed our second stay at the Orchid. Just a couple of nights to see a ruin, get organized for our flight back to California and relax. We'd been in Placencia on a Tradewinds catamaran for a week. As usual, the food was great and the staff was as good as they'd been in 2013. We had howlers in the trees and thought we saw a croc in the river. Airport connections were great, drivers and wait staff outstanding.
We recommend this hotel. It's not cheap but it's worth the cost.

Room Tip: We've only had one room - A-1 - both times. Very nice and quiet with a king bed.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
#2 of 26 in Belize City
Royal Palm Island Resort
Royal Palm Island Resort
#2 of 2 in St. George's Caye

Been to Black Orchid Resort? Share your experiences!