“Didn't meet expectations…….”

Black Orchid Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Burrell Boom
Reviewed April 3, 2014

After reading the many exceptional reviews about this hotel, I booked it for our last night in Belize. The resort is not bad, nor great…….it's average. The location is nice - right on the Belize River with lots of foliage, flowers and monkeys in the trees. The rooms were fine, but had a "tired" feel to them - as does the entire resort. The pool had lots of leaves and debris in it and there were no pool towels available (they were being washed). The wi-fi was down the entire length of our stay. The food at the restaurant was good and we did have the complimentary continental breakfast, but after looking for someone to help, we ended up searching through the cupboards and making our own pot of coffee.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Appy9
BlackOrchidResort, Owner at Black Orchid Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Thank for taking the time to review our property, I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectation on the day that you visited. Customer satisfaction is our gold and I am disappointed when we fall short of that. To ensure that we consistently achieve our objective, I am taking our entire staff, every department through a certification process in an effort to guarantee the best possible service at all times. We have already upgraded many of our rooms and will completely overhaul every aspect of the Black Orchid experience. There will however always be times when mother nature prevails and because we are in a jungle setting with many trees even with due diligence, leaves will enter the pool.
Sincerely
Doug Thompson

Reviewed March 28, 2014

We stayed here one night and really enjoyed it! Beautiful location along the Belize river, and an evening chorus by the howler monkeys! Clean, relaxing, with very attentive staff and attractive rooms.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights at the end of our two week Belize holiday. It was beautiful. We stayed in a deluxe river view suite, in their newest building and it was heavenly. They truly out did themselves. The grounds were magnificent and the rooms were above and beyond clean, beautiful and comfortable. Our building had a huge, beautiful roof top patio with a BBQ, tables and chairs and a large jacuzzi tub.
Every one of the staff was polite and pleasant.
The food in the kitchen was great, reasonably priced and the service was great.
The pool was perfect.
We did two tours through the hotel (day trip to Lamanai ruins, and half day of cave tubing) and they were fantastic. The hotel drivers were punctual and courteous.
I highly recommend this resort.
I have nothing negative to say about this resort. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kkroe77
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We decided to stay at the Black Orchid for our stay in mainland Belize because we didn't want to drive 2 hours inland to Cayo district right after getting off the airplane and it turned out to be the best decision. The staff at Black Orchid was warm and attentive. The place was very peaceful and serene with a river running right behind it. There was a nice breeze and no mosquitos - hard to believe but true. There were hammocks to rest or read in and canoes and paddleboats that you could borrow for no charge. There was nice swimming pool and restaurant. Every so often - you could see an iguana and a howler monkey (coming in from the wild!). You definitely felt like you were in the jungle but in a very nice resort as well - "jungle elegant" is how I am describing this wonderful place.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 22, 2014

On our return from beaches in Placencia, we spent one night at thiw jungly eco resort only 15 minutes from main airport in Bellize. It was quiet, airconditioned (which was a relief after the head and mosquitoss on the coast). The setting is lovely and has a very welcoming and local feel to it. Would go back and take advantage of some of their excursions. Got to see some amazing iguanas, bugs, and birds as well as watching the river roll bye.

Room Tip: We had a river front with its own private balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2014

The Black Orchid is the perfect place to stay for a night or two heading in or out of Belize City.
It is close, but not too close to the airport, with friendly staff running the shuttle service. The grounds are pretty, with blooming orchids, some shy orange iguanas, and a lovely pool.
I loved my room in the new building, and my friends staying in the earlier built rooms were happy and comfortable. There are canoes available for a paddle along the river. Good food in the restaurant and lovely staff round out the experience. This was my second stay here and I will return. I recommend a day or night trip to the Belize Zoo if you have the time. The resort will help you make arrangements.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I was only there one night for work, and I got to stay in the new building. It was a great place to stay outside of Belize City. I did one tour, the cave tubing and the tour guide was fantastic. They picked me up at the airport with less than 24 hours notice. I can't speak about the buildings that aren't refurbished, but my stay was great, food was good and I'd definitely go back for vacation. Air conditioning and great wifi. Staff was over accommodating. High recommendation. I also stayed at San Pedro, definitely think you should do both. There are tours on the mainland you can't get on the island, the tubing, Mayan ruins, the Zoo. Go for it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
#2 of 26 in Belize City
Royal Palm Island Resort
Royal Palm Island Resort
#2 of 2 in St. George's Caye

Been to Black Orchid Resort? Share your experiences!