Black Orchid Resort
$207
$201
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
Anchorage Beach Resort(Caye Caulker)(Great Value!)
$71
St. George's Caye Resort(St. George's Caye)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Royal Palm Island Resort(St. George's Caye)
Ignacio's Cabins(Caye Caulker)
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
All reviewsbelize riverblack orchidhowler monkeyscave tubingmayan ruinsriver viewlast nightcontinental breakfastbelize zooclose to the airportour tour guideinternational airportroom was largefree shuttlenice poolzip liningambergris caye
Reviewed May 22, 2008

We had the pleasure of staying at the Black Orchid on a recent trip to Belize and absolutely loved it! The staff was so friendly and the food in the restaurant was excellent. The surroundings are beautiful. The first part of our trip we stayed in San Ignacio and did a lot of tours and then we stayed at the Black Orchid Resort for the second part of our trip to unwind and relax. Not only is it close to the airport, but they provide a free shuttle which is awesome. They will also set up tours for you if you feel like taking an adventure or just seeing some sites. We took a trip out Caye Caulker for snorkeling and also went to the Belize Zoo from there. Our driver, Ryan was one of the nicest people we have met. Doug and his staff are very welcoming and go above and beyond to make you comfortable and at-home. There is a gift shop on site too, which is nice. You're not within walking distance to any restaurants and shops, etc. but if you've done your research you already know this and are probably looking for more of a "get-a-way" than a place with lots of restaurant and entertainment options. They also provide free use of canoes, kayaks and paddle boats. We took advantage of this and went canoing twice, which was fun! The pool is refreshing at the end of the day. The rooms were very clean and comfortable (bed was a bit hard) and spacious with local made arts and crafts on the walls and through out the room. We saw iguanas and howler monkeys in the trees and lounged in a hammock next to the river. They have a selection of local wines (I had the plum wine and cashew wine) which I am missing. I regret I didn't buy some to bring home. I did purchase some local "Hot Mama's" hot sauce though which is great. I just made the mistake of putting it in my carry-on when we left Belize and it was taken at security :( If you make the trip to Belize and want to help a sister out I will pay the cost + S&H for some local wine and some hot sauce! Bottom line, you have to try this place, even if it's just for a day or two out of your trip. It's worth it.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ThatFenderGal
Reviewed April 29, 2008

What a lovely place to stay. Doug and his entire staff, especially Beverly and Roy, were wonderful. Anything we wanted to do, Doug saw to it that we were taken care of. The room was very clean and accommodating. There was a great ceiling fan, AC and spacious shower.

Over our stay, we had breakfast, lunch and dinner at the on-site restaurant. All were delicious. Doug took us to the monkey sanctuary where we fed the monkeys (wear bug spray -- I have a few chigger bites reminding me of the trip) and saw a cricket game. Roy took us to Belize City to take a water taxi to Caye Caulker, which was wonderful, and on the last day, a tour of the brewery. When not seeing the sites, we enjoyed reading on our balcony, looking for iguanas and kayaking on the river. You could spend the entire time at the resort, or use it as home base, like we did.

We definitely want to go back!!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angie H
Reviewed April 17, 2008

the black orchid resort, doug and his excellent staff provided me with the kind of vacation experience we all dream of. I was picked up at the airport in VIP style, and whisked to the beautiful riverside resort in an air conditioned van. at the resort my room was spotlessly clean , large and quiet. the pool and riverside bar were nice and the restaurant and bar service were friendly. the food was excellent and reasonably priced. all of the facilities are run in an environmentally conscious manner. When I realized I had not booked a taxi or pickup to go cave tubing, Doug arranged for his assistant Bev to drive me all the way to the caves and she waited 2.5 hours without complaint while I went on a great cave tubing adventure, and then she took me back to the resort, stopping along the way so we could drink and eat some coconuts from a roadside vendor. All the while Bev gave an excellent description of the countryside and people. I had time for a selfguided, and free, kayak paddle up the river to see the birds , howler monkeys and jungle setting for myself. when it was time to go to the airport I was sorry to leave this tropical gem .

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank saltspringian
Reviewed April 7, 2008

As 1st time visitors to Belize, we were so impressed staying at the Black Orchid Resort we are planning a return trip A.S.A.P.
Doug & Karen Thompson and there staff helped make our stay that much more pleasant.The rooms and the grounds are very beautiful beside the Belize river. It was such a nice place to stay that we even cancelled one of our excursions just so we could hang around the pool.Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners were all FABULOUS.It was a central point for doing all of the excursions such as Cave tubing,visiting Mayan Ruins and Horse back riding.
We simply didn't have enough time to do all of the possible things you could do in Belize.Thus that is one of the reasons we
can't wait to return to Belize.We will definitly stay at the Black Orchid.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WestcoastBelizian
Reviewed March 26, 2008

Doug Thompson, owner of the Black Orchid Resort, describes his small hotel as "a work in progress." I suggest that it has already reached masterpiece status. Located 20 minutes from the international airport, it is also convenient to so many popular sites in Belize: the Belize Zoo, the Mayan ruins at Altun Ha, the Community Baboon Sanctuary, cave tubing, etc. It is also convenient to the municipal airstrip and marine terminal in Belize City for trips to the Cayes. Doug is eager to please guests and will personally transport you, or arrange transportation, to and from the airport or marine terminal and to any of the popular sites.

The Black Orchid Resort is a peaceful retreat. Here you will find beautifully landscaped grounds, the Belize River (on which you can canoe or kayak, for no extra charge), a pool, hammocks, a terrace and modern, comfortable rooms. The rooms have A/C, TV (only 3 channels, but who needs TV when you have Belize) and comfortable beds, spacious showers with hot water. There is wireless internet access from the restaurant/lounge.

The restaurant shows the thoughtful had of Doug's wife, Karen, with a mix of Belizean cuisine and other dishes. We enjoyed fresh fish, grilled, fried or baked. Other seafood specialties, meat dishes and veggie dishes were also excellent. The kitchen is flexible: vegetarians can have the burritos sans meat upon request.

Doug and Karen have created a peaceful oasis in Belize. I recommend it for a one to four day stay. For us, after a few days on Ambergris Caye, is was a perfect respite from the crowds and noise. I enjoyed cycling in the morning before breakfast, exploring the village and nearby countryside.

We traveled with a teenaged daughter, who also enjoyed her stay. The Black Orchid is equally attractive for couples as it is for families. Probably not ideal for families with very young children.

Very reasonably priced. Very helpful staff.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family