Black Orchid Resort
$188
$201
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Anchorage Beach Resort(Caye Caulker)(Great Value!)
$78
$71
St. George's Caye Resort(St. George's Caye)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Royal Palm Island Resort(St. George's Caye)
TripAdvisor
Ignacio's Cabins(Caye Caulker)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
Colinda Cabanas(Caye Caulker)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsbelize riverblack orchidhowler monkeyscave tubingmayan ruinsriver viewlast nightcontinental breakfastbelize zooclose to the airportour tour guideinternational airportroom was largefree shuttlenice poolzip liningambergris caye
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I chose Black Orchid Resort based on the reviews and the room rate as I travel to Belize on business and need to obtain the biggest bang for the buck.

My experience with the Black Orchid was incredible. I travelled there in the off season and stayed two nights. The staff were very attentive to my requirements which included setting up a an all day driver for me to make my appointments, who by the way was very knowledgable about Belize City. His knowledge of the City saved me time and money.

The atmoshpere was exactly what I want from a hotel; peace and quiet. The Black Orchid sits alongside a river which really sets the tone for relaxation. With respect to the hotel room amenities I found them to be excellent. There was hot water from the shower and sink and the room was very clean and comfortable. The Black Orchid Resort is perfect for honeymooners.

I will surely be back. Thanks to the staff Justine, Beverly, Jane, Ryan, Eddar and Drayane for a great stay!

John Immel

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank John I
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Black Orchid Resort is kind of like staying at your grandmother’s – the folks we met were universally friendly and hospitable, particularly the staff, the resort manager and the owner, but the rooms themselves felt like they had not been renovated in more than a decade.

Part of our group stayed in the “river suite” – the beds and mattresses were old and the common area was musty. The only advantage was a large common area, though we did have to kill two cockroaches. The better option is the “C” room houses which were significantly newer, nicer and cleaner.

We were only staying for one night, so unfortunately I cannot speak to the resort during the day. The resort offered complimentary travel to the airport, a 15 minute drive away, which was appreciated. Perhaps it’s a bit livelier during the “high-season” because I could count the number of other guests on one hand.

Meals, which were fine, cost more than I anticipated – dinner was US$14 and breakfast was roughly US$9 per person including taxes. Belize is the most expensive country in Central America and you’re stuck at a resort, so I can understand the cost but would have hoped for more reasonable prices.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The stay was not what we expected. The service was poor, the food expensive and the quality just not there.
It appears they gear up for the cruise ships during the high traffic season and pay little attention to off season guests. I would expect that the had plenty of time to meet our needs since there were few guests.
We quickly rented a vehicle and only used the resort for sleeping. Oh, and ice when we brought our refreshments back with us.
The guide service they offered was at a rediculous price. We saved up to 5 times the cost by going it ourselves.
They had problems with the air conditioner and smelled like a vermit got stuck in it.

Room Tip: A tip to help choose a good room......don't make reservations! if you are vacationing on the off season don't commit yourself to one location. You most likely will not get a discount for multiple days at one place. We wanted to drive Guatemala to check out their ruins but was suggested we stay the night. Didn't want to pay double for a single nights stay.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
BlackOrchidResort, Owner at Black Orchid Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

I truely regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us, after reading your review i checked with my staff to try and find out what whent wrong. We clearly was unable to meet your requirements dispite our best efforts we will continue to try and improve.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

After reading reviews about not staying in Belize City, I wholeheartedly agree. Staying at the Black Orchid Resort to begin our 2 week long trip was a great choice! They picked my family up at the airport, and made us feel welcome in their quiet, unassuming ways. The room was very clean and the beds quite comfortable. Having the river beside the resort made it a budding naturalist's paradise. Our children enjoyed talking to the family parrot (who-da-bird) that came & went as it pleased. There were many iguanas on site to run after. Our last 2 nights, we stayed at the Radisson, and ended up very sorry that we didn't go back to the Black Orchid.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank FromcalgaryCalgary
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed at Black Orchid during my last visit to Belize on our last day in the country since the resort is only about 15 minutes or so from the International Airport. The rooms are spacious and very nicely appointed with a great view of the Belize River and birds just everywhere. Loved the dining room and bar which are inside a nice breezy patio area, again with birds and butterflies to entertain you. Nice big pool and nighttime bar that overlooks the water, great for unwinding from a day of touring the nearby Mayan Ruins, caving and other adventures that are very nearby.

The staff is first rate and willing to help you make the most of your time in Belize...there is so much to do and see. I recommend Black Orchid Resort is you want a very nice hotel close to Belize City, but out of town a bit. They will even take you right to the airport for no extra charge.

Room Tip: I like the rooms nearest the Belize River, great to drink a cup of coffee in the morning and watch the "bird show."
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business