“Nice owner but uncomfortable stay”
Review of La Roseraie

La Roseraie
Virginia
“Nice owner but uncomfortable stay”
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Madame Sylvie is a very nice owner who spoke excellent English (our French is a work in progress).

However our rooms were just not very comfortable. We stayed in an upstairs loft-like room above a garage and another couple. The room was old and outdated and not very inviting. The floorboards made so much noise when we walked that - for fear of upsetting the guests below us- we literally had to tiptoe around. The bed wasn't very comfortable and there was at least one incident where a nasty brown spider was seen crawling on our bed before we had turned down the lights. The garage used to be as table apparently and looked it.

It is hard to write a negative review since the owner was so pleasant and made a nice breakfast for is in the morning. However, for the cost of the room, the lack of amenities, and the lacking comfort of the room I simply can't recommend this establishment.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank waldorfVirginia

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2013

From the moment we arrived we were warmly welcomed by our host, Sylvie, who could not do enough to help us. She suggested some local restaurants and attractions that we could visit during our 2 night stay, and even made a dinner reservation for us.
The accommodation was clean and functional. There was a room above us with guests in on the first night and we could hear them walking around and running/flushing water during the night.
Breakfast was typically French with croissants, bread, cheese, pâté, yoghurts and fruit.
Be aware that payment needs to be made in cash! Cards not accepted.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Aust
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Quaint accomodation with two single beds and a 3rd bed (double mattress) up in a loft style room. Although we booked for 3 adults, only 2 towels/ hand towels/ soap etc were supplied. We were in the upstairs apartment which had very noisy floorboards when just walking across them. Noisy enough that the guests below complained. I'm sure this must happen often as there is no way to not walk on the floorboards. The owner is a very friendly lady who spoke english quite well. We had a delicious breakfast in the main house.

Room Tip: After hearing that the downstairs guests complained about the noisy floorboards in our room (upstair...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue H
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed August 11, 2012

It was two years ago, and my daughter still asks me if I have written this experience up in TripAdvisor to warn other hapless tourists – hence me finally doing it.We stayed two nights over a weekend, checking out on a Monday, in July 2009. The amount for a room (the one above the garage ) was agreed on in advance by me and Madame Sylvie, and I paid for one night's stay in advance, but once I was there she charged me 20 euros extra per night. I protested and we had a much heated discussion. She had decided to charge me for three people rather than two, because I chose to sleep in the double bed rather than one of the two singles in the room. This made no sense to me, and I discussed this with her as I could not figure out why it would make any difference to her which bed I slept in. I even offered to pay extra for laundering two extra halves of a double sheet instead of two singles. I believe she was taking advantage of the fact she knew I did not have a car, as we had come by train and taxi, and my weekend had been planned much in advance, and I had my child with me. I believe she knew it unlikely that I was not going to risk our safety and inconvenience by leaving her bed and breakfast at that time to try and look for somewhere else to stay on foot.
There were other big inconveniences in my brief stay. The first was she had decided not to hire out bicycles in the time between my booking and paying and when we stayed there. (She told me she couldn't trust her guests with them.) As we did not have a car, this was an issue, as it was one of the reasons we chose that b and b. She also did not provide me with the code for the wifi connection that was advertised when I asked her several times. In the end, I got it from a fellow guest.
The other was the terrible breakfast – stale croissants and bread, and the cheapest supermarket preserve, cordial drink instead of juice, and to top it off one of the breakfasts she asked us to whisper during breakfast as her daughter (also featured on her website now I see as a co-hostess) was still asleep (we were the second round of guests at breakfast and it seemed unnecessarily nasty to my daughter and me). I would have found that rude if I was staying in her house as a guest – but as a paying guest I found it unacceptable.
She gave very vague directions to the local supermarket – to an extent we wondered if she deliberately wanted us to get lost. (As when we found our way there, we discovered there was a very direct route that would have been easy to communicate in both English and French!)
She explained to me that she had been newly widowed and I had the utmost sympathy for her, but again, I do not think it is a reasonable excuse for being mean to paying guests.
I chose to pay the extra money but naturally I felt ripped off and it cast a pall (as being cheated does) over an otherwise beautiful French countryside experience in an otherwise delightful room and lovely pool and garden.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Alison B

Travelers are raving about these Sainte Genevieve Les Gasny hotels

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The owner of this property is very nice, however the accommodation is overpriced. Here is my to do list that I suggest to make the place acceptable:

- sound proof the plumbing. We spent a sleepless night being woken up everytime the person upstairs went to the loo. I'm not exagerating when I say that it sound like someone was emptying a firehose onto our ceiling everytime the shower/toilet or sink were used upstairs, I have never heard such a noise.

- put a door on the ensuite bathroom rather than a see through curtain. I had to step outside the room (ie into the garden) to avoid seeing my partner on the loo because the flimsy curtain on the ensuite provided no privacy

- put a wardrobe in the room. Currently there a are just a few hooks on the wall

- provide 2 towels per person, preferably nice ones. Currently there is 1 smallish rather scratchy towel per person

- make the beds with duvets, and provide clean sheets. We had several blankets piled on our beds which all slipped off during the night and were another factor providing a sleepless night. When we awoke in the morning I found that the sheet we'd slept on had mildew stains on it. I found the blankets a rather unhygenic and outmoded way of making a bed.

Oh and the lady owner might like to warn visitors about the over zealous gendarms that patrol her village and the junction right outside her house. We were fined Euro 90 on the spot for crawling over a Stop sign. She did come out and help us converse with the police which was very good of her, but it would be nice to have a warning about this before arriving - maybe something on the website? Particularly since this seems to be an everyday occurrence.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank juliaread
Kent
Reviewed June 8, 2012

As WelshWonder47 has described it is in a lovely setting and seemed quite perfect. When we first arrived at 5pm were told that we were early (by an hour) and we could not park inside the gates until evening because of a tortoise (!) and children (!) Neither of which did we see during our 4 day stay. We drove in to unpack and Madame got quite agitated but we did unpack and then moved the car outside the property. Again like the previous report she asked us for the money in cash (!) straightaway or if not in the morning. Thanks for the warning WW47. The apartment was very pleasant in itself. I did think the mishmash of china - some of it chipped - did not go with the class of apartment. The short stay went fine with no other hiccups until the last morning. We were just about to drive off when Madame asked me to go up to the apartment. She then told me that I had not cleaned it properly and that as self catering guests we should have cleaned it ready for the next guests! We had left it tidy and clean but I had certainly not hoovered and dusted - I have never had to do this before and refused. She then said that she would have to pay a cleaner for doing it. We had paid nearly £80 per night for this privilege. We would certainly not go back to this property. Such a shame because the setting was idyllic. It really put a dampner on the holiday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SiJaJa
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2011

On the plus side this is a quintessentially French B and B. A lovely setting the whole complex is housed within a walled garden, accomodation is nicely converted from separate barns within the grounds of the owners' impressive Maison de Maitre which was the old presbetery and is situated next door to the village church.
Beautifully planted gardens with roses climbing over arches and up obelisks provide the backdrop for your 'self catered' picnics al fresco next to the covered swimming pool which is at your disposal complete with picnic tables, umbrellas for shade, pool side chairs and teak loungers. We were impressed.
Our first disappointment came when Madam explained she had given our room away to other guests! We had booked two weeks previously and had chosen the 'Grange' and sent a deposit. But Madam had seen fit to swap us without warning and showed us instead to the 'Charming'. It is billed as having a double bed on a mezzanine floor above two single beds. Do be aware. This is NOT a double bed but a double mattress laid straight on the floor. The mezzanine is set in the apex of the roof, is 4 foot high in the centre and then slopes sharply away to nothing, more of a ledge really. It is just wider than the mattress and as long as it. If you sit up without remembering where you are you will bang your head on the ceiling. The area is reached via open steps with no guard rail and presented some access difficulties as once you climb the steps the only way is to throw yourself onto the bed, clamber along it on all fours and twist yourself around to get under the covers. You reverse the process rather dodgily, as you have to roll over onto your stomach first, feel for the top step with your foot and hang on for dear life as you clamber down! It gets very hot up there and the only upside is the fan sitting on the floor next to the little night light. Honestly - we were speechless (This was presented to two fifty year olds and our mum of 69!) but Madam assured us she never has complaints. Teenagers would probably love this little hidey hole but not for full grown adults - bad enough for one - try getting two of you up there? NEVER!
The second disappointment was the embarrassment of being asked by Madam over breakfast the first morning for full payment of our two night stay. Madam already had in her possession a french euro check from us as the deposit but rejected this because of high bank charges. She told us she has had bad experiences with people who have left without paying so she asks for payment up front and that would need to be in cash. Rather sheepishly I explained that we did not have enough money on us at the time. Madam explained that was OK as there are two banks in the next village! Feeling like desperados we trekked off to said village instead of to our planned destination of Monet's Garden to provide Madam with 'evidence' of our commitment.
Breakfast was satisfactory but we did enjoy picnicing by the pool and the recommendation to the nearby restaurant Les Bords De Seine was well worth it. Another nice touch was the provision of basic cooking facilities, dining table and chairs and china etc in your room so you can self cater if you wish. The beds were comfy, nice linen and the accomodation was clean with your own entrance and keys so you can be fairly private and self sufficient.
This is a lovely area of France and provided you are aware of the advance payment arrangement and don't mind an Alpine trek at bed time before sleeping on a ledge in the Charming Room, this B and B is worth the stay for the pool (at no extra charge and heated) and its picturesque setting.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Les Bords de Seine Hotel-Restaurant
Forest Farm B&B
Forest Farm B&B
#1 of 2 in Bois-Jerome-Saint-Ouen

Been to La Roseraie? Share your experiences!