“You must be joking - 50 peso for 1 small stick (2g) of nescafe”

Bodos Bamboo Bar Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Alcoy B&B and Inns
Mactan, Lapu-Lapu, Philippines
“You must be joking - 50 peso for 1 small stick (2g) of nescafe”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

So angry - i asked for some instant coffee and creamer as there is a lovely little kettle in the room but only 1 coffee stick per day (2 grams). This is our 3rd day here and yesterday we got some extra coffees and creamers from their resto.

Today i ask for some more and they say their is only 1 free coffee and creamer per day. I say ok how much for extra - they say 5.5 peso per coffee stick and per creamer which is approximate normal price from supermarket. Very fair. I have 2 coffees and 2 creamers in my coffee = 22 peso approx. 60 cents US.

I make my coffee and knock knock, the girl says sorry the boss said it is 50 pesos per stick and per creamer. So the coffee i just made cost me 200 peso = $5 US.
THATS RIGHT $5-00 US for a cup of instant coffee i made in my room.

To say i am pissed off is a massive understatement. Particularly after we have been here 3 days and eaten every meal here. probably spending approx. (10,000php) $250.00

Beautifully engineered resort but not awesome value. From the website we thought that the resort had beach access. Probably my fault - mixing up resorts. This resort is on the other side of the highway. The pool is not as scenic as in the website and the water is a little warm. But its ok. But id hate to be anywhere near it if it was busy with kids.

The room is good and the view is fantastic (Room 2) - mattress is average at best.

The restaurant is brilliantly designed and seems to serve a constant stream of traffic.
Food is ok.

But for a resort that promotes wellness i could not order a fruit platter beyond mango and banana. Unfortunately banana is not part of my starch free diet. In fact it seemed to be an issue to modify the meals in any way at all.

In summary well designed and well marketed resort, but my gut feel is this place will be up for sale soon.

Room Tip: Aircon not required when we were there in July
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Simon U
BodosAlcoyCebu, Owner at Bodos Bamboo Bar Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Hello from BBB Alcoy. First of all I´d like to thank you that you took time for a Long Review like this. I apologize to inform you that I heard the Story of your coffee stick AFTER the whole Thing was done already. So it is not true that the Boss-that´s me- advised to charge 50 Pesos for the coffe stick. It is at 30 Pesos only. And if you see that there is also the electricity for the heater and the effort for buying (every week we have an 9 houirs trip to make all the Shopping for the Restaurant and Resort) this is valued. In every Restaurant around I pay 50 to 70 Pesos for a coffe like this.But that is not the point I think. What makes me a bit dissapointing is, that you rank the whole Resort with 1 Point and that although you admit that all in all it was quite ok. So the value of a Resort is depending on the Price for a coffee stick? I think this it joking. If the Resort is so dissappointing I really wonder why you extended 2 times your stay?! And a bit over 200 dollars for 4 days included all Restaurant (all in rooms Service of course) for 2 People is really not a running over expenses. I think-and most of our guests also have a look to the other comments here- that is more than valued if you see that we still behave friendly also to customers who jump and shout like riding on only animal instincts in the area. You also forgot to mention the free Concert of Live Band you joined. That you are disturbed by Kids Swimming in the pool I really regret but please understand that we will not prohibit Kids to swim in the pool. We are Family Friendly in all and I think Kids are a wonderful part of a Family. So I admit that the Story with the coffee stick went unhappily and unsensible done by my employees but humans do mistakes-also you in your reaction which destroyed any way of discussing this in a civilized way. And let´s be honest: The coffee on the rooms for free are a voluntarely Thing from our side. If we don´t do that, this diuscussion and this Review never will exist. So now we are blamed for wanting to give an extra for free and because we have Limits for that we now are only a 1 Point Resort? Don´t you think THAT IS joking? And by the way: BBB is the number one Resort here in Alcoy. Not for none there are regularely comming Television stations to bring out the extraordinary way of Service we offer. In Alcoy we are the only Resort which is good enough for official authorities. Governours, Congressman Mayors the all went in to BBB only. We love our neighbourhood and Alcoy loves us particularly cause we are the ones who start welfare Projects, Sponsor ALL Events in area and are the fairest toursim Business in the south referring our employees.So before this Resort will be for sale I really have to go retiring because we love our work and all in all you must agree that you also felt this at your stay. Otherwise you never would extend your stay 2 times. MAybe you´ll come back an dthen I look Forward to discuss with you personally-that always a nice way as to do it at Tripadvisor or are we already poor enough not to be able solving misunderstandings without threatening 28 working places with revies on an anonym webportal?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed June 28, 2013

In June 2013 I went on my own to Cebu for 5 days..and I had a really great time!
From the first day (pick up from the airport) until my departure everything was perfectly organized. I had a really warm welcome and felt comfortable at once. I´ve booked a standard room (with ceiling fan) which was spacious, clean (new towels daily), with nice bamboo interior and safe included. I was impressed by the wonderful view - the sunrise is really worth it to get up early!
The whole resort has a familiar atmosphere and is very well-kept and clean (you should have a swim in the pool!). The restaurant offers an international menu - food and drinks have a very good quality including a beautiful sundowner for free! The service is always helpful & friendly and the only way to describe the two owners Alex and Inge is that they do everything with real passion! It doesn`t matter what you`re looking for or what you`re interested in..they (and the "adventure tours"-team Lutz and Joyce) support you in every way they can..even in the lower season!
I went snorkeling with Whalesharks, swam in beautiful waterfalls, walked through the jungle, visited a local market, drove up to the mountains, walked along the beach... just enjoyed life! Even a trip to Bohol (island nearby) was very well organized - what a fantastic day! Thank you so much!
Finally, I can try to describe the Cebu-trip to Bodo`s Bamboo resort in one sentence..I went there on my own and left with new friends! Can`t wait to go back again:-)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Steffi B
Carcar, Philippines
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this resort for 4 nights and wish we had stayed longer. maybe next time. I rarely give a good report on a small resort like this but this one is different than others I have visited. So here I go. The rooms are spacious with a nice shower room with hot and cold water. Good décor with 1 wall that has been painted with a scene from the area. (I am sure there is a name for this but I forget) Has a really nice swimming pool with a Jacuzzi tub. There is also a nice restaurant and bar that has a full menu and a good chef to prepare it. Always a nice breeze flowing through the eating area. The main thing about this place is the people that work here. They are very friendly and ready to help with anything. Hi Lorrie, I wish you the best with the new baby coming in about 2 weeks. There is only 2 things that I will say is a disappointment. That is that the walls are very thin and you hear the people next door very easily and need to update the tv programs. I love to watch tv before I fall asleep. But all in all it is a very nice resort to visit with plenty around there to see. best wishes to the owners and crew at BBB, Thanks Ray and Stela

Room Tip: We stayed in the double deluxe and it is very nice. Don't know about the others
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ray B
Australia
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

This is a great place to stay on the Alcoy coast. We booked here to visit the Whale Sharks at Oslob & even though it was a little further away than what we anticipated it was easy enough to catch a local bus there and back. The hotel also offers tours of the local area and although we did not partake we spoke to another couple who were very pleased with their tours. The resort itself is set high on a hill overlooking the coast but still with easy access to a small beach. The grounds are spacious & well kept and the pool was crystal clear. A great spot for swimming & relaxing. WiFi was available throughout the whole area. We stayed in a standard room with fan with balcony overlooking the coastline. Food in the restaurant was very tasty & they had the best tasting pizzas in the whole of the Philippines! Overall we were very happy with our stay at Bodos Bamboo Bar Resort A.K.A The Triple B Resort.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sunaks
BodosAlcoyCebu, Owner at Bodos Bamboo Bar Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Hello to Australia. If one get so much comploments than it is not easily to reply. But it is a pleasant for us to certificate that you are also a very special kind of customer and we really enjoyed your stay in our resort. Hopefully we are allowed to service you soon again. Take care of you and all the best from your BBB Family.
UK
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at the BBB on recommendation, and were not disappointed. The owners and staff were very friendly, and the resort very relaxing. The rooms were very well presented and comfortable. Our only moan would be the roof fans in the room. They are not very good, and effected our sleep quality. Having said that, the food was great, and the Wheat beer even better! Also the prices very reasonable. Highly recommend this place as a stop off for the Oslob Whale sharks....or for a longer stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SilverbearUk
Hello and nice geetings from BBB. Like we always point out: We are special and do always one step forward when the customers are also special and they appreciate our unique way of service. And you are! Thanks a lot for this motivating review and thanks for the tipp with the room fans in Balcony. Actually we are testing another system with better effect. So next time you will visit our place you can try. Have a good time and all the best from BBB Family.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have read all reviews below , some are very un fair, Mate , this is all ok by me , the food and service and views are all second to none although we didnt stay overnight ,, we will soon be locals at Alcoy and look forwards to many more visits

All the best , Faith and Phil LeCompte

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ppff255366
BodosAlcoyCebu, Owner at Bodos Bamboo Bar Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Hello an nice greetings to Autralia.

We like to thank you for this warm and nice review. In our philosophy our employees are one of the most important parts of our success. We are very happy when our customers feel, that they really love to service guests and everyday they try to bring a bit of sunshine to our customers. So like you did. We look forward to see you soon at BBB and wish you a pleasant time. Best regards. Alex
cebu
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is my second review for Bodos, the last time I went here with my husband and two kids, I was not satisfied with the service and gave it a two-star rating, but as I visited Bodos again still with my family I have to say that their service really did improve, I have to give it a five! The owner did promise me that the next time I come back, the service will be better which is really true!

My kids just love Bodos, we went to check out other inns in Alcoy but ended up staying at Bodos, The place is safe for the kids, their food is great and the surroundings are clean, its just a great place to relax and unwind.

Thanks Bodos for the wonderful stay and for the warm accommodation! I will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank slyn_bonehead
BodosAlcoyCebu, Owner at Bodos Bamboo Bar Resort, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Hello again,
first of all I´d like to thank you for the 2nd chance. We are lucky that we were able to convince you from BBB after your first semi-satisfied experience. As we overtook that resort 1 year ago we changed a lot of things although the employees were very good. Our target is to be better from day to day and we are not satisfied, when there is standstill in development. For we are comming from the European hospitality industry we also are used to another standard and we learn that it takes serveral time to change things which are used for years. So your experience shows us that it is worth to work everyday for improvements and your review is the nicest reward for our efforts. Hope to see you soon and have a good time. Best regards. Alex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alcoy
The Blue Orchid Resort
Granada Beach Resort
Granada Beach Resort
#1 of 2 in Boljoon
Narrapark Hotel & Resort

Been to Bodos Bamboo Bar Resort? Share your experiences!