“my second time in bodos!”

Bodos Bamboo Bar Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Alcoy B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is my second review for Bodos, the last time I went here with my husband and two kids, I was not satisfied with the service and gave it a two-star rating, but as I visited Bodos again still with my family I have to say that their service really did improve, I have to give it a five! The owner did promise me that the next time I come back, the service will be better which is really true!

My kids just love Bodos, we went to check out other inns in Alcoy but ended up staying at Bodos, The place is safe for the kids, their food is great and the surroundings are clean, its just a great place to relax and unwind.

Thanks Bodos for the wonderful stay and for the warm accommodation! I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank slyn_bonehead
BodosAlcoyCebu, Owner at Bodos Bamboo Bar Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Hello again,
first of all I´d like to thank you for the 2nd chance. We are lucky that we were able to convince you from BBB after your first semi-satisfied experience. As we overtook that resort 1 year ago we changed a lot of things although the employees were very good. Our target is to be better from day to day and we are not satisfied, when there is standstill in development. For we are comming from the European hospitality industry we also are used to another standard and we learn that it takes serveral time to change things which are used for years. So your experience shows us that it is worth to work everyday for improvements and your review is the nicest reward for our efforts. Hope to see you soon and have a good time. Best regards. Alex

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

There was a booking confusion when we arrived. Mistakes were made when ordering at the restaurant. every time they take orders without writing it down, it causes mistakes. i think they should write things down all the time instead of trying to memorize it. it's a shame because the place is really good. The staff are really friendly and helpful. They sorted out any problems easily. Rooms are great. Location is perfect. glad they have WIFI connection everywhere in the resort. Enjoyed the wellness massage! Will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank hugsladykisses

Hello from Alcoy,

thanks a lot for your fair and objective review. We only can improve when customers tell us the problems. And special your review shows that there are problems we have to work on but you also mention the good things. This shows that you are a fair person and this review really helps us to improve our services. Please, if you come back to BBB next time aks for the management so we can apologize personally for the inconveniences and then you also see that we take your advises seriousely and improve our work day by day. Salamat. Alex.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

The BBB was suggested to us as a hotel to stay at while in Cebu. We originally booked 10 days, but ended up staying 20 days for personal reasons.
The owners are German and Austrian and were more than helpful in all tourist and business matters that we needed assistance in. Our wish to visit Tingko Beach was met with the immediate offer of a tricycle that would drive us to our destination. Since we are planning on moving to the Philippines, our interests were more of the getting to know the area, than tourist pleasures. All of our wishes were met with willingness and efficiency.
Our room was without air conditioning, but there was an adjustable fan on the ceiling.
The room stayed about 29°C day and night.
There is a problem with mosquitoes and a few found their way to our room.
There are also other rooms available with air conditioning if wished. The rooms are decorated in a simple, but functional manner. They were kept clean and towels were available for the swimming area. Certain areas, i.e. Fitness are still under construction.
The hotel employees are friendly and do their best to make sure that your stay is warm and personal. Specific guest wishes i.e. ice cubes in a glass and the coke in the bottle, are noted and carried out by the attending staff.
The food was very good. We stayed with local favorites, so we have no opinion concerning international dishes. Another favorite of ours were the fresh fruit shakes and juices, made with tropical fruits like mangos, bananas and papayas. The fruits varied on a day to day basis.
We enjoyed the company of the other guests, except for a lone American who nothing could make him happy. He couldn’t afford a 5-star resort and somehow expected the BBB to magically become one. Motto of story, if you can’t afford it- don’t expect it!
We borrowed motor bikes from the hotel for getting around. They were not the latest models, but they were well maintained and there was no hill that we couldn’t get up.
When traveling to the Philippines, one must realize that life is a slower pace here. The emphasis is on friendliness and not so much the technical world.
In the 3 weeks that we were there, we made local friends, were even invited to a Philippine family’s birthday celebration and enjoyed the hotel crew.
Summary: The BBB is not a multiple star hotel, but our needs were met. It is clean, friendly, helpful, and warm in charm. The hotel owner has gastronomical training from Germany, Austria and Switzerland. And, as always, the Philippines have a way of marching to the music of their own drums. Not the typical international hectic one can encounter.

Room Tip: Room with view to the sea and own balcony, but no aircon are available OR room with aircon haven...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Claudia L
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I was at that wonderful resort for 3 weeks.
I am really surprised about some reviews here on this website because there is nothing you can do better like it is done in BBB.
It needs enough dignity not to come with own food in a place where a restaurant is which mentioned in passing is one of the best I ever have been.
A special thing is that the management really refuse some guests where they have the feeling they are destroying the atmosphere. So it is a very brave but successful thing they do and the guest can be shure to live in a resort with a competition-free atmosphere and a hard to describe feeling of being cared about.
I am now 66 years old and I have seen a lot of destinations. Here you find the old fashioned way of real individual hospitality. A nice island of resort where the guest is number one but they also demand respect for their work and their rules. I cannot see something wrong in this and want to encourage the BBB Management strictly to hold on this way of management. It is too good for guests who don´t deserve it.
The staff is great but the owners-people with great experience from Europe- are busy the whole day to entertain their guests and find events for them they will not forget.
There is also a big value of the prices. In Euro there you can get a main dish for 5 Euro. People who find this expensive I really ask what they eat in their home countries. The rooms are native but comfortable and very clean. The waitresses and waiters know the guest´s name and that is really showing how individual you are treated there. The location is wonderful for people who like nature, waterfalls and the sea. I had 2 snorkeling trips because I cannot dive. There was a BBQ on the resort´s own boat and it was so nice that I decided to learn diving on my next stay in BBB. So I like to thank for that nice stay and I look forward to my next trip to the Philippines there.

Room Tip: you also can try various resorts in the near than you see how good BBB is
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Christl M
Reviewed June 22, 2012

The thing that sticks in my mind the most is the "padded bill" when we left. After I left, I noticed a P3,300 charge cleverly hidden in the bill and marked "other". I tried numerous times to contact them , but the English e-mail address is no longer working and the German e-mails bounced back.
The fan rooms at the resort have a nice view, but are well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit or 39 Celsius.
The manager apparently played for some second rate rock band in Europe and was too busy getting a show ready to really take care of the guests, and he flat lied to our face room changes.
Food was very good , but pricey.
The managers continually wanted to take us on all kinds of side trips,
One of the other guests had the resort take them whale shark watching and they were charged P1,500 , we hopped on the bus and it cost 70 or 80 pesos for the same trip.
I rented motorcycles myself for 1/2 of what the resort charged.
I will not stay there again, and as I said this is the first bad review I've ever written.

Room Tip: if you have to stay here, get an air-conditioned room
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Douglas D
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Now we want to show how to be a professional. I explain to all the readers of lies told in this “review”.
Headline: 1st time I write....: This is the second time. This review appeared a few weeks ago at Booking com also.
In this case there was a mistake by the guest in booking. It was booked a low budget room but the guest decided to have a high class room. For this rooms were fully booked we should apologize for this. But the mistake was done by the guest and we saw no reason to apologize.
Next point is: I was to busy with my music so I cannot care abourt the guests and I lied.... Wow-the truth is that I was in the city next day . Why. I had to buy the meet for our cuisine. That is 100 km away and I do that 2 times every week to offer the best quality in food. That also explains the minimal higher price. We are at half of the city prices.So everybody can see that we really care personally to our guests and the reason for my absence had nothing to do with my former career as a high class musician. So we really don´t understand what this has to do with the resort. Here this is pointed out as not taking care for the customers for I personally go to the city to prove the best quality in food. And I lied? Why. I said that we will change the rooms 2 times without extra charge for the effort we had caused by the guest´s mistake in booking. The guest wanted that we book out other guests in the high class rooms to give it to them. We didn´t accept this and everyone reading this it is to understand.All other things mentioned here referre to an external püartner here in the resort. The guest wanted information about the trips . the resort partner informed detailed about the opportunities. Here it is shown as pressing to do this trips. And of course going with an individual driver and guid in an individual transportation vehicle is more expensive than going with hundreds of people by bus. The same it is with the motorbike. A bike with permanent maintenance and new brakes and wheels is of course more expensive than this 100 Peso vehicles which are to rent outside.
So we can resume:
The first lie is in the headline. Common some guest want to have high class service for low budget price. This is not in the target of our resort. We see something special in every guest and try to treat them individually appropriated to the needs and desires of the guest. For this Bodo´s is special and incomparable in our area and that we want to be paid in a fair level. Most of our turnover comes to our employees cause we aim the target to improve the situation of the Philippines within our possibilities. This is not to realize with guest who want to have everything done but nothing to pay for. So if a guest have no intention to be fair than the resume is a review like this. Who really is lying the valued reader can decide on his own.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

When we made our reservation four weeks ahead based on some photos we had seen posted by an aquaintance we were a little apprehensive. We wanted our mini-vacation to be special and different as we were celebrating our 18th Wedding Anniversary with our six boys. The site said the beach was close by and we wondered exactly what that meant but, nevertheless, we booked two rooms for two nights. The resort was a little difficult to find coming from Cebu as the driveway is right after a curve which is better seen from the other side of the road.
Location: On top of a hill with a gorgeous view of Bohol across the Bohol Strait. This is perfect for morning people as you can witness beautiful sunrises at about 5:30am.
Rooms: Clean and pleasant with curtains that do keep the morning sun out! :-)
Bathrooms: Clean with no mildew or mold. Good quality fixtures and enough hooks to hang towels. However, they really should install a bump strip to keep water in the shower area so that it does not make the whole bathroom wet. The curtain is not enough.
Restaurant: Good food!! :-) We were very pleasantly surprised that the menu was extensive and there was something for everyone. We recommend the spaghetti bolognese (so good we ordered one at each meal), pork and chicken cordon bleu (yup, one at each meal too), chicken and mushroom alfredo, bratwurst pizza (barkada size was huge and we had leftovers for the next day which they happily kept for us and reheated the next day). The goulash was excellent!! And potato croquettes were loved by the kids. Best of all is that these were all quite reasonably priced! For dessert the halo-halo and mango float were wonderful. There were 8 of us and we ordered about 6-7 dishes per meal and we were all quite satisfied and happy.
Cabana/huts: These were clean and very well maintained. One late afternoon it did rain but we were nice and cosy playing cards.
Pool and Jacuzzi: The kids did not miss the beach at all. The pool was clean although whenever the jacuzzi was turned on there would be the smell of gas. So we were thinking that the motor was gas powered? We should have asked but didn't.
Gym: There was a small gym but we didn't use it.
Garden: The rooms were positioned around the main garden with cabanas all around. The grass was well maintaind and clean. Very nice to lie on for stargazing at night.
Extra Mats: My sons complained that the mats were very thin and they were not comfortable. Thicker mattresses would be a good idea.
Staff: Very pleasant and professional. Neat, tidy and discreet.
Security: I felt very safe although on our first night I did catch on guard asleep on the cabana seat. He did wake up and carry on with this duties.
WiFi: Strong and fast! Even in the pool area and at 2am. :-)

Over-all we had a wonderful time!! We look forward to our next trip!

Room Tip: Rooms with AC do not face the sea but the view (and the balcony) that one gets with the Non-AC rooms...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Muriel2010
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Staff were very friendly, courteous, and professional. But I was a bit disappointed on their short of staff, we had to order our dinner waaaaay ahead of time, because they said they were going to be very busy. And, just having breakfast or lunch, it's hard to say or know what you want for dinner. Especially, on a week that is expected to be busy, Holy Week! But, I must say, the staff did everything they can to accommodate our group. So, thank you!!!

Bedrooms: I like them...the bathroom is another story. I don't know why the shower area doesn't have a divider (aside from the shower curtain). I think it should have something to block the water from going all over the bathroom floor, because if it's the style they're after, it's not working. It feels so gross and icky to go in the bathroom when the floors are wet (after someone has taken a shower). They need more mats to wipe your feet.

Guest cot: it is sooo small that I can't even turn on my side without having to hold on so I won't fall. And, the roll out beds...they're soooo thin that it hurts when you get up. It would work for a carpeted floor, but not a concrete floor.

I hope they'll improve the number of staff, bit bigger cots, and thicker cushions for the roll out beds. I like this place a lot, the food is ok, really depends on one's taste. And, location is even better. A place to really do your R&R.

Our group was loud at times, we played our own music sometimes, and brought drinks and snacks, but we were discreet about it. We haven't heard complaints from other guests nor from the management. The couple that runs the place were really nice, they gave my friend 3 mugs, but none for me and cousin... :-(

Danke Schon!

Room Tip: there are non AC rooms, which were fine because of the breeze it gets, plus, it has a balcony with a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Rocio V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alcoy
Villa Rosa
No photo provided
Meili Beach Resort
Meili Beach Resort
#2 of 3 in Alcoy

Been to Bodos Bamboo Bar Resort? Share your experiences!