Tsaghkadzor Marriott Hotel
Kecharis Hotel & Resort(Tsakhkadzor)(Great Value!)
$53
Villadzor Apart Hotel(Tsakhkadzor)(Great Value!)
$43
$36
BEST WESTERN Alva Hotel & Spa(Tsakhkadzor)(Great Value!)
$36
Hotels.com
Golden Palace Hotel(Tsakhkadzor)
Tsaghkahovit Hotel(Tsakhkadzor)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmain buildingski resortshooting rangebreakfast buffetnice viewexcellent hotelstayed longerspa areagreat selectionfantastic experiencebeautiful pooltop qualitywinter monthsdeluxe roomson footthe entire stafflarge hotel complex
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This is a very nice place to spend a quality family time at a ski resort. However the food is quite overpriced. We have been there twice and both times were pretty happy with rooms and quality. The very large swimming pool is just great. The kids had a lot of fun in the playroom.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2014

But they have to change something in menu and do something with the chef, coz it's terribly not tasty food/meal. There is nothing that I can sey that it was really tasty, and plus it's too expensive... I hope they will do some conclusions and make food tasty coz it's shame for such kind of high service have so poor but expensive menu. It's Armenia and we know what mean taste and its not good to make us fell disappointed with breakfast-lunch-dinner....

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We are a Marriott family, but this was our first stay at the Tsaghkadzor Marriott. I came for a relaxing getaway with my husband and 6 year-old son. Overall, I would say we enjoyed our stay -- and our son particularly enjoyed the children's playroom -- but there were a number of unpleasant problems we experienced that were all relatively minor, but when taken together, left us with mixed feelings about the hotel -- particularly when you consider that these problems 1) never would have happened at another Marriott, and 2) could have been easily avoided by a more dedicated staff.

We made the reservation through the Marriott website, which is always easy and fast. It was no problem to find the hotel, as it is clearly visible from the road. Because we came mid-week and early in the ski season, there weren't many other guests, so there was plenty of parking available near the main entrance. But for some reason, we were asked to move our car to another spot immediately after parking. There was no sign indicating that the place where we had parked was reserved, but anyway, we moved the car. Not a big deal.

Check-in went smoothly, and we were very happy with our room, which in terms of spaciousness, definitely exceeded Marriott standards for a regular guest room. When a gentleman came to set up the extra bed for our son, he worked very efficiently, but he had a terrible body odor that stunk up the room even after he left. I would think Marriott staff are trained to maintain acceptable levels of hygiene.

It was already afternoon and we wanted to check out the slopes before it got too late, so we put on our snow gear and called the front desk to arrange free shuttle transportation to the ropeway, as advertised on the hotel web site. Again, this request was accommodated quickly, but neither the front desk staff nor the van driver informed us that all services at the ski resort would close within 15 minutes of our arrival, even though the hotel was only 5 minutes away. So we basically didn't have time to do anything, and had to call the hotel again and ask them to send the shuttle right back to pick us up. This was annoying as it had been a big waste of time.

We decided to instead use the time to go swimming in the hotel's indoor pool, which was conveniently located on the same floor as our room. The showers and locker room facilities were high-quality and in very good condition. There was supervision of the pool deck by several staff members to ensure guest safety. The pool was a bit cold for our liking, so we chose to stay in the whirlpool, but even this was tepid rather than warm. We stayed for a little while, then decided to get out when we started shivering. As we were leaving, my husband asked an attendant about the temperature. The attendant explained that they were required to keep the whirlpool at a minimum temperature of 24C, but he was willing to go check it for us -- when he returned, he said it was currently 22C. So no wonder we were cold! Thankfully, when we returned to the pool the next day, someone had increased the temperature to meet the minimum 24C, and we were a little bit more comfortable (though it still didn't meet my expectation of what a whirlpool should be).

There are two incidents that stand out as most disappointing during our stay, and they are mainly the result of misinformation on the hotel web site -- or perhaps miscommunication between the webmaster and the hotel staff.

First of all, the website advertises a "Free shuttle bus to the ropeway!" but this is not entirely true, as I had to learn through a rather embarrassing experience. On our second day, we decided to drive ourselves to the ski slopes after breakfast. We had a good time, and after a few hours, my son and I were ready to return to the hotel, but since my husband was still skiing, we told him we would just call the shuttle to pick us up so he would still have the car to drive himself back when he was ready. I called the hotel, asked for a shuttle, and an unmarked car with tinted windows soon arrived to pick us up. I was surprised it was not the same van we had used before, but the driver brought us to the Marriott and that was all I wanted. When we got out, the driver rolled down his window and gestured that he needed payment. I was shocked, so I asked him to wait a moment and ran inside to the front desk to ask why they had sent a private taxi service when the hotel provides a free shuttle? The woman there answered that the shuttle was only available after 3:00 PM. I told her that she would have to pay the taxi at the moment and add the charge to our hotel bill because I had been expecting free transportation and did not have cash on me. She did not apologize, as if I was supposed to know. Later, my husband complained to the front desk about this situation, and whoever he spoke to must have had some good sense because the taxi fee did not appear on our final hotel bill.

As I am not much of a sports enthusiast, the main thing I was looking forward to about our stay was the opportunity to indulge in a few spa treatments. (I have been to the Litte Spa at the Yerevan Marriott and enjoyed it immensely.) I emailed the spa a few days in advance to ask questions about packages, and received their reply with an attached PDF menu of services. Once we were at the hotel, I called the front desk to inquire about making a reservation. The person I spoke to told me that the spa was only working three days a week (Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, I think). Since we were planning to check out and drive back to Yerevan on Friday morning, that meant I wouldn't be able to do what I wanted. I told the person on the phone that there were no working days or hours listed anywhere on the spa brochure in the hotel room or on the web site, and she replied unapologetically, "I know." So.... if they know....why do they allow their guests to be misled? Why don't they do something about this, like make sure the spa includes its very limited operating hours in all emails, brochures, and on the web site? Why didn't the front desk notify us when we checked in (same goes for the shuttle service)?

I will end on a positive note: buffet dinners and breakfasts at the Brasserie restaurant and snacks at the Tea House were all delicious, and the service in these locations was the best in the entire hotel. The hosts and waitstaff were very courteous, friendly, and attentive to all our needs. They didn't charge us for our son, and even brought him a bowl of soup one evening, at no cost to us! The food was all excellent, with plenty of variety even for vegetarians like my son and myself, and we also loved the concept of "Tea o'Clock" in the Tea House -- the warm fruit compote is fabulous with a slice of cheesecake! It is because of our positive dining experiences that I would consider returning to this hotel in the future, despite everything else.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building for the most convenient access to restaurants. The pool, spa, and fitness center are located on the 3rd floor -- it was great being able to just walk down the hall to get there.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ArabesqueOrchid
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Tsaghkadzor Marriott hotel is just great! New, clean, comfortable, spacious and pricey :) I am astonished with the service in the hotel - all of the staff at the reception, breakfast area, maids and even those cleaning the snow were very polite, smiley and considerate. I think Marriott could offer more variety for breakfast, but basically there's enough food and fruits. Rooms and bathrooms were also very good and spacious. We were staying in the villa which was not very convenient as we were travelling with a small kid and getting him dressed/undressed everytime we needed to go to the main building for breakfast, pool or playground, was problematic.
I think the administration needs to revise prices at the cafes/restaurants. I understand this is Marriott but the prices are beyond reasonable. As a result, most of the guests go out downtown for lunches and dinners. Otherwise, everything was fine.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 10, 2013

It was an unexpected surprise to get snow in October for an Indian, and it happened to me in Tsaghkadzor. A beautiful Armenian countryside resort town, not far from Lake Sevan, it is known for its ski slopes. And it now has a Marriott to cater to an international clientele, and it does not let down.

This a spacious low rise hotel, actually a resort. So besides the lovely rooms, there is also a well stocked gym, courts for tennis etc, a spa and a sauna room – Russian, with a Turkish in the offing, I was told. The swimming pool is nice too, nicely heated.

The room itself was rather nice, cozy. Inside you could be in a Marriott anywhere in the world, apart from the wall art and some nice touches to the interiors, which only added to the experience. Wifi, complimentary, worked well and plug appliances worked. There was BBC on TV! It was well stocked in every resort requirement, right down to the coffee maker, iron and safe. And water bottles, which I always prefer over being told fill water from the tap. I loved the white holey curtain, which made the white world outside look even more inviting!

There are also individual villas, and though I did not stay in one, they looked most desirable. Though on second thoughts, going out in the snow repeatedly may have been a drudge.

The breakfast buffet at Brassiere was excellent again, well stocked in all the regulars, with a few local options. Very spacious in size and layout, with lovely décor which complements your meal, it was indeed an inviting place to be in. There are other inviting f&B outlets as well. I was particularly attracted by the cozy Tea Room, which has two huge cake replicas as an incentive to step in. It is open in the afternoon, and I can’t imagine anyone being strong enough to pass by at that hour going by without a second glance, however much they need to shed calories. Another interesting joint was the Revolver Bar, which as the name suggests, had besides cigars, a number of heritage firearms, which could be interesting for those inclined that way.

The resort has more than adequate facilities for meetings and weddings with multiple meeting rooms and halls besides a business centre. And yes, there’s skiing on the neighbouring mountain slopes!

The staff was courteous, and generally more helpful than in the other Marriott in Armenia, in Yerevan, where perhaps the fact that it is perhaps the only global chain in town has gone to head of the staff. This Marriott however is different, and one of nice surprises was an extensive playing area for kids. The staff also helps out with local suggestions, important for a resort like this. The hotel is long, and sometimes the room can be quite a distance from the reception, so check that out.

Room Tip: Most rooms are front facing, but not all have balconies. Ask for a room with one!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business