“Slop”

Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Large quantities of slop the last time I visited. Grey slop. Lots of it. Probably why the place was full of pensioners. And the smell of boiled cabbage.

3  Thank LondonSpectator

Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

This is a pub which thinks it's a restaurant. Seating is totally restaurant-geared and a quiet, intimate drink here would be difficult to achieve. However, we were diners and I am reviewing the restaurant experience.
On arrival we would have liked a drink at the bar, but were rushed to our table with great haste. The waiter/barman was overtly attentive, trying to be friendly but became rather intrusive. Food here is typical pub grub, i.e simple cooking and huge portions which became defeating. My roasted cod wrapped in pancetta arrived without pancetta, the cod was over-cooked, sauté potatoes over-done -all swimming in a tasteless butter sauce. My companion's steak and kidney pudding was so enormous that he was quite unable to anywhere near finish it and as our starters had also been huge, we left the table quite bloated and unable to attempt dessert.
This pub is in a charming rural setting and portions are very generous for the prices charged, but the place needs some fine-tuning if it is to achieve a "foodie" reputation. If I was dining here again, I would need to starve myself for a week. However, judging by all the previous excellent reviews, most people are delighted by The Bottle House Inn- I remain over -full and a little nauseous!

2  Thank tessie1
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Good food, Good beer, Good atmosphere.
My wife and I have visited The Bottle House on many occasions for a night out with friends and never had a bad experience.
The service is on occasions slow but thats what you get when you go somewhere this good.
Try it and find out for yourselves.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband took me here for my birthday. They were busy (Saturday night) but kindly accommodated us as most of the tables were reserved. The food was extremely tasty and well presented and we thoroughly enjoyed the lively atmosphere. Would recommend as a great gastro-pub.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We visit the Bottle House about once every couple of months and the food is usually very good. It's especially nice on a warm sunny day to sit outside and eat. The service is always excellent - friendly and efficient.

I was very pleased with my starter of whitebait on my last visit recently, it was lovely and crisp, drizzled with a tasty dressing & my husbands mushroom soup was fine.

I was therefore really disappointed when the chicken kiev, that I decided on, turned out to be extremely dry with no buttery juices and a bit too well done on the outside, although not quite burnt. The small portion of Parmentier potatoes was hidden underneath the kiev (lots of places do this - I just think it's pretentious & weird - they go mushy and you have to rearrange all the food on your plate!) and were each the size of a pea! In the past I've had this same dish and it was gorgeous, so maybe the chef was having a bad day.

The pork belly that my husband ordered however, was fantastic - with great crackiling and veg and he thoroughly enjoyed it as usual.

For pudding I chose Black Forest Gateaux, which to my mind should be really gooey with loads of fresh cream, chocolate sponge and black cherries soaked in liquor. What I got appeared to be some generic, frozen (white) sponge with 3 thin layers of pink "stuff" inside and a scoop of admittedly delicious cherry sorbet on the side. It made me so sad - I had been quite excited about devouring a luscious pud but it was not to be!

Although this wasn't as good as previous visits we will return and have another try, maybe next summer when we sit outside, listen to the birds and sip a Pims.

1  Thank Sue O