“Ordinary at best -- the owner is rude to his staff”
Review of Cook's Corner Cafe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cook's Corner Cafe
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We simply have very little to say about places like this and I don't usually bad mouth places I don't enjoy, rather i vote with my feet and never go back. The proprietor at this establishment was extremely rude to his staff and then proceeded to give us attitude because he got out order wrong.
The so called log fire is a joke,....the place was as cold as the proprietors service.

3  Thank Jumbles

Reviewed May 19, 2013

My partner and I attended this cafe after reading about it in the Good Food Guide 2012, however, afterwards, we were surprised that it had an entry in the Guide. The service was unfriendly and unenthusiastic. The log fire was not on, despite being a very cold day. I ordered the pizza and it was very poor, it was served in a bowl. There were layers of food on top of the base which was soggy as a result, and I could not eat it. We were still charged full price at the end. The atmosphere and location of the cafe are very nice, so this place could have great potential.

1  Thank FunJetzetter
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I had always wanted to come to this quaint cafe and support local trade etc but the overall experience was disappointing. Firstly it was a very hot day (34 degrees) and this place did not have any airconditioning on, so it was actually hotter inside than out. A little fan did not make any difference. There was a airconditioner on the wall but perhaps it was broken or perhaps management/owners were tight? We will never know as no one apologised or made a comment about it even after we said how hot it was. So we promptly asked for some water to cool us down. The water that came was warm so we asked for some ice in it as we needed to cool down. The waitresses did not come back in a hurry and when we asked again, they then said that the "manager" said that no ice would be given unless we bought bottled water or another bought drink. When we asked why? the inexperienced waitresses said they did not know why. The next disappointment was the time delay of the meal which when the waitress was asked about it, promptly brought it out. The meal was cold ( we ordereda poached egg dish) which leads me to think that the meals had been sitting there for ages and not brought out by the dumb waitresses. The waitresses were very unfriendly and inexperienced. Even short changed us at the end and then did not know how to open the register to give us our change! That took 10 minutes. I had also asked for holondaise sauce which was not part of this meal which the waitress said would be ok but then it was not provided. Overall we felt like the cafe was trying to save a buck and did not care about customer service. We do not normally make such a fuss but this cafe made us feel like bad customers for having to question their service all the time. The "no ice" on a hot day with no airconditioning was the cruncher. I will not eat here under this management again which is a real shame because the place has some history and would be a great place to regularly go to.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

On the way to Kallista Markets we stumbled across this place for breakfast. From the outside this place looks nice and homely, and the decor inside is very nice.
Breakfast was awesome, I had zucchini and corn fritters with poached egg and my wife had the melt which was a muffin with avo, egg and bacon smothered in melted cheese. Both were great but I think I won (we always judge who ordered the best meal). Coffee and fresh squeezed OJ were Melbourne standard (this is a high standard!).
Looking at the rest of the menu we will be back for lunch and dinner for sure.
The prices are very reasonable and they open late towards the end of the week which is rare for the hills.
The only negative were the staff were a little inexperienced and slow, but hey, what's the rush in Kallista?
Great overall experience, highly recommended.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

We were looking forward to our lunch at this venue and the food and table service did not disappoint. But the meals took nearly an hour to come, I did not think the meals we ordered warranted such a long wait..........lamb souvlaki , chicken stir fry, pizza and fruit bread which came buttered. Perhaps butter should be on the side so the diner can add as little or as much as they want.