“Comfortable, big room and great diving service”

Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The room are bigs and very comfortable and clean.
The staffs are all friendly.
I didn't expect much for diving but it actually has a very good macro life and good visibility.
Love to spend more time there.

Room Tip: Garden room is the best.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Huiscuba
Teddy I, General Manager at Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to do a great review of our resort. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and found our rooms to be very comfortable and clean.
A lot of effort was made by the owner to design the entire resort so that it is chic and comfortable, and works for both divers and non-divers. The diving in the Sekotong area is still largely unknown to most divers around the world and we are actively promoting our resort as a dive destination. That is why you found the diving to be better than expected with good macro critters. The reefs here are different from those in Manado which you are familiar with, not as spectacular perhaps but still very beautiful and in pristine condition. Please come again and bring more of your diving buddies from Thailand."
Warmest regards from all of us at Cocotinos.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I decide to do a Bali Lombok combination trip this year. For Bali I stayed in Ubud for the cool and the craft and art. For Lombok I came back to Cocotinos Sekotong. My second trip here and wow what a beautiful experience again! I stayed in a Garden Room again. It was just as comfortable as before and suits my budget. Not so expensive for the quality and luxury, much better than my hotel in Ubud.

The fried banana dessert was just as good as before. The complimentary afternoon tea was really great! There is also wifi now in the whole lobby and it is free! I was told they have a new provider. I did some work on my covered patio outside my room and the wifi was good and stable.

On the last morning I did my sun salute at the end of the jetty. I was almost overwhelmed with tears knowing I had to leave. Thank you Cocotinos for another wonderful stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank may1108
IwanSitompul, General Manager at Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for visiting us for the second time and taking the time to do a review of our resort. We now have a new pastry chef and she is making wonderful cookies, cakes, bread and other tidbits. That is why our afternoon tea is getting more exciting. Our pisang goreng is our favorite dessert for guests as we grow our own bananas in the resort.
We now have WIFI internet connection in the entire resort, from the lobby to the restaurant and to all the rooms. Our new WIFI has much better signal strength and stability, but weather could still cause some disruptions.

We love repeat guests. Please come again and enjoy the tranquility of our location. The magnificent sunrise at the end of our jetty will always be there for you every morning.

Best regards from all of us at Cocotinos.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

"It was my very first trip to Lombok with friends and I am glad I choose Cocotinos! I took my friend's advice and chose a quite place for a break .After the haze in KL. The fresh air in the resort was simply great! My first impression of the resort was that it was so clean and well kept. The swimming pool was crystal clear. I could see the stone tile at the bottom of the deep end, which could not be said of many resorts I have been to. My room was spotless and the flowers on my bed made me feel very welcome. The amount of food for breakfast was more than enough and the spread was quite good with lots of fruits including local mangoes and star fruit, not just the usual boring pineapple and watermelon you get in most hotels around here. The home-made jam and bread were also yummy.

For me, the best thing about Cocotinos was that there were no life-size mysterious statues everywhere, like those you can find in many Bali resorts. The place felt spiritually bright, without the feeling of eyes staring at me whereever I went, especially at night. I felt completely relaxed and undisturbed in the beautiful flower garden, beneath tall coconut trees, strolling on the beach or simply resting in my room. It was incredible to shower outside with bananas hanging, flowers around me and coconut trees above - total freedom and privacy. The staffs were warm and friendly. They remembered my name. I went to the spa twice and would have gone more but it was quite packed and they had only two therapists. The sofa bed in the room and the covered patio were great for reading or taking a nap.

Now for a few minor complaints : ) .The resort has a number of ugly land crabs and one night I got a fright outside my room when a big one crossed my path and scrabbled up a coconut tree. Being a city girl I never imagined it was possible for crabs to climb up trees so quickly! And the geckos were also noisy but lucky for me I soon got used to their sharp cries. The staff told me the gecko is a special animal, like a mascot for Lombok. I could hear them but I could not see one. They were so well camouflaged. Some days a fair bit of rubbish do wash up on the beach but the gardeners did a great job sweeping it up every morning so the beach was always clean during the day. The beach has broken corals though, which is a bit hard on the bare feet. So it is advisable to wear beach sandals. I found the food portions a bit too big for me but I suppose it suited others who had huge appetites. I would have preferred smaller portions with more tasty bits on the side. And I had to ask for more chili dips always with the complimentary crisps during dinner. Hey, some of us can eat hot food! But to be fair the staff always tried their best and on the last night I got more than my share of different types of fiery dips.
I went on a tour of the countryside and got some nice pottery at Banyumulek - recommended! The rice fields were green and soothing to the eyes. If you like quiet and nature come to Cocotinos. I really enjoyed my relaxing holiday in Lombok. Terima kasih to all the staff at the resort…BAGUS. This is one place I will consider returning to for sure, whenever I get tired of shopping and eating in big cities!"

Room Tip: Garden rooms are nice but opt for terrace rooms if your budget is tight !
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
IwanSitompul, General Manager at Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Reviewer,
Many thanks for the great review. It encourages us to keep going and do better. The owner himself designed the resort with the help of local architect Teddy Imanto who is now involved in the management of the resort. For Cocotinos, the owner eschewed the decorative approach you find in a lot of magazines and instead emphasized simplicity of structure and beauty of the natural materials used. That is why you do not find many statues of fearsome deities everywhere. We do have a stone Buddha though, in the spa, bearing a serene pose to set the tone for relaxation. The owner loves art and art objects. He personally chose the paintings in the rooms.
As for the crab that frightened you, it is actually a coconut crab that lives underground and comes out through holes at night. They, together with the geckos are part of the resort and are quite harmless. The geckos are called " tokek" in the Sasak language after their characteristic call. The rubbish washed up on the beach happens only sometimes depending on currents and tide, but like you said, we are on top of the problem. We take good care of our beach for the enjoyment of our guests.
Thank you for your visit, and we hope too see you again. Please pass on the good news.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Cocotinos Sekotong is off the beaten - WAY off! That only makes it more charming - but expect little besides relaxing, snorkeling and diving! the rooms are large and very comfortable, in the middle of a lovely garden. Staff is very friendly and helpful, and the hotel prides itself on recruiting locally. Nice food, although catering to an international crowd (the hotel could usefully introduce local tastes to its menu). The pool and beach are private and peaceful. Finally, the hotel has its own diving centre, offering the possibility of visiting the south Gilli islands, worth visiting for some amazing snorkeling or diving. Thanks Cocotinos!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EwaiYann
IwanSitompul, General Manager at Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review of our resort which is very encouraging to all the staff here at Cocotinos. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay in our peaceful and quiet location. This time of the year is perfect, with sunny days and a little rain sometimes in the night. That is why our garden is still lush, green and flowering. From now till the end of November it gets drier and there will be hardly any "off" days; due to wet weather. Yes we have an international food menu as we have to cater to guests from all over the world; we do try our best to introduce local taste to our guests but we have to be careful with the chili. Our dive centre (all boats and equipment) is fully owned by us so we can control the quality of the dive service, which we maintain to a very high standard. We always try to serve from our hearts.

Please come again and tell your friends about Cocotinos.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed for 3 nights at Cocotinos Sekotong in June 2013. Overall, we would say that the hotel is well designed and the staff do try to provide good service. The place is fairly quiet and very accessible if you are looking to visit the Southern Gili Islands (Nanggu, Gede, Rengit), they even have a private jetty that make boarding and unboarding from the boats much more convenient. The beach is a great place to walk in the late afternoon during the low tide as you can find all kinds of sea creatures in the shallow water. The only real problem we have is the lack of attention to cleanliness in our rooms and also in the spa treatment. We took a massage and scrub at the spa. Whilst the massage was good, the therapist did not bother to wash our feet or cover our hair, so she struggled with pulling away our hair each time it got in the way of the massage. Neither did she bother to ask if the massage pressure was suitable or if she should turn down the air-con in case we felt cold without our clothes. After applying the scrub, we struggled to the shower room with bits of scrub falling all over the floor to take a shower. We stayed at the Rinjani Suite and for the first two nights, there were mozzies and we had to put down the mosquito net. The cabinet and sink in the bathroom were dusty and so was the bed (see photos attached). We were told that the resort was fairly new - less than 3 years old, but it sure didn't seem like it. The final straw came on our final night at the hotel. My husband was woken up in the middle of the night by a large rat (a little less than 30cm) that was scurrying around on our bed and accidentally bumped his face. And we did not bring any food to our bedroom at all, except for bottles of mineral water! We reported this to the staff at checkout the next morning but they seemed pretty nonchalant about it. Not sure if this was because they couldn't understand English that well or didn’t find it surprising to be woken up by a rat, the counter staff was not at all apologetic for the disturbance. We also spoke with the owner who happened to be there, and he said he had not encountered such rat incident before. Overall, a good location for water activities but unless the level of cleanliness improves, we won't be going back anytime soon. The room rates are not cheap, so we would have expected much better quality than what we got.

Room Tip: Avoid the Rinjani room unless you have inspected the cleanliness and checked that they've gotten...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CarolT_SG
IwanSitompul, General Manager at Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

"Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your frank review of our resort. First of all our sincere apologies for the unpleasant incident that spoilt your stay with us. It was indeed the first time that we have had a rat problem. However the owner who met you when you were about to board your transport to the airport, took immediate action and called in the pest control people with whom we have an on-going contract. The very next day we caught the pest in a glue trap. It was indeed a field rat, the type we find in rice fields nearby. There is nothing to eat inside the villa and so it could not have grown up inside the villa. It probably wandered in when the doors were open during daily cleaning by our housekeeping staff. It is unfortunate but it happened. We also noted your comments about shortcomings in cleanliness and in our spa procedures. We are normally commended for the cleanliness of our rooms and other facilities but we take your comments seriously and we have met with the staff to push for even higher standards. If the incident had happened on your first night we could have changed your room and made recompense. But it happened on your last night and it was too late for us to do anything .

The owner who takes a keen interest in the running of the resort is most concerned that you did not enjoy your stay and would like to offer you and your family a free 2-night stay in a villa, with a free spa treatment of your choice for two persons on your next stay, valid till 30 June 2014.
I hope you will accept our offer and once again our apologies.

Regards from all of us here at Cocotinos. "

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Cocotinos is a small hotel in a great, peaceful and scenic location. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we had a thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable stay.

Our room was spacious and spotlessly clean as was the bathroom and the shower.

We enjoyed the swimming pool and the beach and our excursions to neighbouring villages and beaches.

Everyone at Cocotinos was friendly, courteous and helpful and made our stay very enjoyable.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marjory1

Dear reviewer,
Thank you for your very positive review of our resort. All of us here at Cocotinos Sekotong enjoyed having you with us and we look forward to your next visit . Please pass on the good news to your friends and relatives.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I visited Cocotinos a few years ago.
This year we went to revisit Malaysia and Bali.
We stayed in some high profile resorts in Bali, what a MISTAKE that we didn't visit again Cocotinos.
The resort is the perfect place to relax with great service, pool villas, views. Very well run hotel.
I am still angry with myself that we didn't come to Cocotinos again and instead we wasted some time staying in Bali in ugly big hotels.
Keep doing great job, Cocotinos !

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank moschino24_98
IwanSitompul, General Manager at Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

"Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your five star review of our resort. Do not despair. We are still here and growing stronger everyday as we seek to improve our resort and our our service constantly. With our new Garden rooms and privacy wall the resort should feel even more cozy when you next visit. The plants have grown bigger and the place looks ever more lush in the wet season. We are waiting to receive you with the same warm and personal service we offer to all our guests.

Cheers, we remember you fondly and best regards from all of us here at Cocotinos."

Also consider these accommodations in or near Desa Sekotong Barat
Kila Senggigi Beach Lombok
Kila Senggigi Beach Lombok
#10 of 29 in Senggigi
Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi

Been to Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!