“Seemingly good value and decent facilities as advertised; terrible "tours"”

Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa
Reviewed December 31, 2012

To start off with the good:
-the grounds are well kept, and the entry way from the road is pretty impressive
-the rooms were cleaned well
-the breakfast buffet was not the best I've had, but it is good at the price
-the views from the restaurant are good
-the price is theoretically pretty good
-free premium channels on the tv were a good touch

Now the bad-
-our "city tour" promised us four stops; the driver only wanted to take us to a pretty dismal mall and when pushed to take us to one further destination, left us alone to be swindled by some "local guides"; he spoke very little English and was clearly not interested in guiding us;

-this tour cost $75, and I thought I should get back at least half the cost; but the hotel was only interested in discounting this by $25; the money isn't a big issue, but I thought the right gesture would have been to take the whole amount off;

-no compensation for not having the twin beds as we booked; and they promised us to bring a cot, which never materialised; the room was number 7 with the septic smell;

-they never gave us keys! we didn't realise until the morning as we stayed put from coming back from the "city tour" until checking out;

-it is impossible to alter or amend the booking without cancelling the booking (by which time they may have taken the non-refundable deposit); so I was stuck with two nights when I really only wanted one night;

-there were some workmen/craftsmen working near the poolside early morning, banging away on branches and playing audible radio music; not a problem for me, as I was awake, but I imagine those who were sleeping could have been disturbed;

-front desk staff seemed a bit disinterested (the restaurant staff were very engaged on the other hand) and were sometimes non-communicative

-despite being a resort hotel by the beach, none of the boats were available for hire due to cleaning; perfectly understandable to maintain your boats, but it seems pretty odd to take them all out of commission on a single day;

All in all, not bad value for the cost (if you never have to shorten your stay that is; if you want to stay fewer nights than you originally booked, tough luck). But the decent value for money is HUGELY marred by pretty bad service on many many fronts. It could be quite good if they tightened up on service standards.

Room Tip: Don't take number 7!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SEATraveler_12
IwanSitompul, General Manager at Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your comments made in your review. We are always receptive of a frank review of our resort, as we are keen to improve our service.
May I respond to the main points that you raised:

1) Regarding the tour that you had taken, our usual tour operator was busy, and the alternative tour guide that we had engaged for your tour, was obviously was not up to standard.
We will not be using them in the future. We offered you a discount of 25 dollars but you expected the whole amount of 75 dollars to be discounted which we were not able do as the tour was completed.

2) Regarding your request to amend your booking to stay one night less, it is not that we as a resort are inflexible. If you had booked with us directly we would of course have been able to shorten your stay without charge. But as you had booked through an online travel agent (OTA), the agent does not allow us to refund any payment made directly through them.
So unfortunately, we were unable to give you any refund.
May I suggest that if you are making a booking at any hotel over the internet, but are not sure if you want to stay for the full period that you consider booking directly with the hotel. Most hotels including ourselves allow for direct booking over the internet but you may have to pay a slightly higher rate. I am sure that as an experienced traveler you must be aware that the cheaper the price, the more the restrictions there are, be it a hotel room or an air ticket.

3) Unfortunately your request for twin beds was not passed on to us by the OTA. All of our Sea View rooms that you had requested for are fitted with king-size beds. The system should have informed you of this when you booked it but did not. There seems to be a glitch in the booking system and we are working with the OTA to resolve this.

4) Boat availability. Apologies for our staff not explaining fully to you the situation with the non availability of our boats to take you over to the adjacent islands. On the day in question and the day after, we were unable to take any of our boats due to a severe storm warning by the local marine authorities. The boat that you had seen pulled up on the beach, and being cleaned, was there because of this warning and our staff were taking the opportunity to clean the hull. The safety of our guests always takes priority over anything else.

Again thank you for your frank review. Please note that we have a policy of employing and training as many of the local villagers as possible to work in the resort. The service can at times seem slow due to the staff being a bit shy in dealing with our guests. As many of them have never had to deal with foreigners before.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Downsides - Restaurant food is about average, breakfast is pretty poor in comparison to some of the others we stayed at (stayed at Jeeva Klui). Parents stayed at Room 7. Don't recommend it as its by the septic tank and therefore smells. Also you have to eat at the hotels restaurants as its so far away from anything.
Upside - staff are very nice. Pool and location right on the beach was lovely. Sea was very clear. They take you on their speed boat to Gilli Nannggu for 195,000IDR. This island i thoroughly recommend as its really idyllic plus the water is so clear and good for snorkelling. I have heard the beach here is much better than Gilli T etc but I can't comment as i have not been to those islands. Our villa which has two room s and plunge pool was lovely. So was the spa, the lady there did me a good deal on the treatments and she was really good too.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 7 and if you can stay in the villa right on the beach as the plunge pools hav...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
IwanSitompul, General Manager at Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Reviewer,
First of all, we apologise for the problem that your parents experienced while staying with us at Villa no 7. We traced the smell to a broken pipe next to the villa, which may have cracked during an earth tremor we experienced earlier in the month. The pipe has now been repaired. But apart from that, we are glad to learn that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and that you particularly enjoyed the snorkeling around the nearby island of Gilli Nangu facing our resort. The Sekotong Bay area where we are located is very much underrated for its clear waters and relatively untouched reefs. Our spa lady sends her regards and is delighted that you enjoyed her massages and other spa treatments.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. My staff and I really appreciate it.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

The rooms very nice, everything worked fine, and very importantly the bathrooms very clean..., the restaurant and loby good service and good food, great location and beautiful beaches so little tourist,... not crowded, very quiet and peaceful.

We loved the place, we highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nata Q

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your kind review of our Cocotinos Resort. We are glad that you appreciate our quiet location and unspoiled beach. Our owner fell in love with this place when he first visited the area, and that is why he decided to build Cocotinos where it is so that others would be able to enjoy the peace and quiet of Lombok and the Sekotong area. Your review is especially appreciated since you yourself come from Costa Rica, which from what I heard, is also a very beautiful country.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

My job takes me to many busy cities, London,Sydney, Ho Chi Minh City etc. For the past two year I have been thinking of a break away from all this hustle and bustle .I needed time out to recuperate. The Air Asia promotion to Lombok was most opportune. The journey in from the airport already set the mood to relax with the slow pace of the countryside and the rustic scenery. I did not bother to unpack on arrival. It was so nice to feel the breeze and soak in the sun and feel the sand under my bare feet, under a leafy tree. Was I dreaming? No it was real . This is it: total rest and relaxation I could expect for the next few days. I really liked the room. This is real cottage living with natural materials, used creatively to blend in with brickwork, giving the cottages a solid quality feel, surrounded by a lush garden which is well maintained. Space is more than ample in the room with modern facilities for comfort. The bed is huge and offers a good night's rest. The outdoor bath takes the top prize for taking you close to the elements. Everyday I used it, more than once. The resort staff kept the room clean and fresh, with a change of towels etc.The food - wow the highlight of my trip! I love food and the resort did not disappoint. The breakfast was generous and came with a selection of home-made jam and home-made bread, in semi-buffet style. Hot selections were also freshly prepared on order. The menu offered a good mix of Western and Asian choices. The is good but I would have preferred some of the local dishes to be more spicy. They obviously had to tone down the spices to cater to European and American tastes.
I loved the jetty that jutted out into the sea, the end of which gave a good view of the resort, bay and the surrounding islands. The boat trip to the islands was a real treat to the senses. What incredible hues of blue and greens against the white sand. Walking barefoot on one island was exhilarating and calming at the same time. I had the chance to ponder on the wonders of the sea. There was absolutely no need to go shopping or sight seeing away from the resort. I could fully relax in the resort and surrender myself to the spa. What more could I ask for.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank McCathay_88
IwanSitompul, General Manager at Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Dear Reviewer,
I and my staff are very glad to hear that you stay with us was so relaxing and that you felt so rested after your stay with us. The resort was specifically designed to give our guests this sort of feeling whether it is the views over the sea, the tropical landscape or the outdoor shower. Which really gets you close to nature since there can’t be many places where, when you shower you can feel the wind on your skin and hear the birds singing and have them flying over you. After all you should not go to a resort and leave feeling more stressed than when you arrived. You remarked that while you found our food very good it was not spicy enough for your taste. We appreciate that the taste buds of most Asian guests require something a bit on the spicy side, that would have most of our European guest jumping in the swimming pool to cool off their mouths, so our food is not over spiced. But no problem, during your next stay with us, please just ask our restaurant staff for your food to have a bit more of a chili burn and kick, and we will be happy to oblige. But be warned Lombok chilies are really, really hot. Thank you for taking the time to write such nice review of Cocotinos Resort and Spa, myself and all of my staff very much appreciate it. We look forward to seeing you in Lombok again soon.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Although I am from Japan, I was lucky to be on project stationed in KL. And because Air Asia now flying to Lombok direct , so convenient access. Also new airport in Lombok very good facility. On arrival hotel guy display my name, pick up very friendly. Journey to hotel a bit long but scenery interesting and you forget the distance. The soft landscape in the resort is very beautiful and hotel supply own bananas for guests. Service very warm and welcoming, Indonesian style.Once I step into the resort, whole person feel very relaxed. From the restaurant I can see the ocean with little islands in front and in the horizon big ferries from Bali to Lombok, back and forth. It is a great and relaxing scene and it give me nice feeling of being in quiet place but still close to Bali with all attractions. Design of buildings is contemporary vernacular tropical style. I like use of local available material , local technology to achieve the mood in the rooms. The place is very clean and this is very important to me.
The food is good but I suggest should use more fresh seafood and cook in front of the guests. Of course if can do sashimi and sushi even better because have fresh fish but I know this not easy skill to have. Maybe resort should employ Japanese chef to train them for a few months to use local fish but cook Japanese style. Then more Japanese will come to resort. White sand beach is pleasant and I like the jetty a lot because can see fish and corals at end of jetty. I stayed only three nights. Not enough time to enjoy the island of Lombok. Will come again with friends and stay longer.

Room Tip: Ocean view garden room is good and good value
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank 1950_toraGM

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your kind review of our Cocotinos Resort, it is so nice to hear that you found our resort so relaxing and the design of your room and the resort so much to your liking, and that you were able to relax and unwind while enjoying the views from your room and from the restaurant. Where as you noted we serve bananas which are grown in the gardens surrounding the rooms. We have taken note of your comments regarding the employment of a Japanese Chef to train our staff in doing sashimi and sushi, but as you remarked the skills to do this are not easily learned and unfortunately the local labour laws make it rather difficult for us to bring in foreign staff. We will however try to employ a local Indonesian who has worked overseas and has the necessary skills.
Thank you again from myself and my staff for taking the time to review Cocotinos. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the not too distant future, with the direct flights by Air Asia to Lombok from Kuala Lumpur it will be easy to pay us another visit and get close to nature again.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have been very busy and stressed with months of overtime in the office and so I thought why not choose a quiet place to chill out. The resort was a very pleasant surprise: so nice and peaceful in its own private beach, away from the usual busy tourist traps that nowadays you find in so many popular places such as Bali and Phuket. OK I love Bali also, but if you have been there recently you will know how bad the traffic is. What a relief then it was to find Lombok so "unspoiled" by comparison - no traffic jams! The rooms are beautiful and well decorated and spacious with high ceilings, with aircon and fan. The bathrooms have very nice details and provisions for us. The staff was fantastic. So friendly and warm. I was surprised they planted banana trees among the old coconut trees but it works. Together with the flowering plants, the place feels so cosy and looks so charming, like someone's lovingly-cared-for private garden. The food was tasty and a good mix of Asian and Western. I complimented the chef who would try to make any special request that we had. The prices were not cheap but reasonable and comparable to hotels and resorts on the island and elsewhere. i suppose I cannot expect to pay warung price in a nice resort. I was told the bananas we ate came from the trees in the resort. I went on a boat ride and the islands were like little jewels floating in the blue sea, still looking pristine and untainted. The snorkelling is excellent and highly recommended.The resort is basically by itself, without any bars or discos or restaurants nearby. The resort is also located away from the villages, which means less noise, except for the occasional wayward motorbike with the big exhaust. So it was ideal for me as I was tired of the hustle and bustle of the big city and really needed a good rest and I got it, especially after a couple of visits to the spa on the beach. Although I stayed in a Garden room, I was shown the villas on the beach front and they looked really inviting. Especially the Rinjani Villa, which has an upper deck with a newly added "loft" sitting area next to the bed and whirl pool - wow really cool! I will definitely be backed and next time I would like to try out one of those villas with private pool.

Room Tip: choose the Villas next to the sea to spoil yourself
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank donna w
IwanSitompul, General Manager at Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear reviewer
Thank you for your kind review, as you found during your stay with us recently. Cocotinos resort really is a place to completely unwind and let go of all the stresses of work and everyday life that we are all unfortunately subjected to nowadays.
The location of the resort was specifically chosen by the owner to be away from the usual tourist traps. With their never ending t shirt and souvenir sellers that plague so many resort areas today. (If you have been to Kuta in Bali you will know what we mean.)
While our more remote location may not suit everyone, we find that for the more discerning traveler, our location with its own private beach and tropical landscape is just what they need to completely unwind.
The landscaping of the resort which you enjoyed with its mix of banana, coconut trees and flowering shrubs was done to reflect the style of planting that you find in the local villages. The villas and other buildings on site also reflect this village style but of course in a more modern style.
Our restaurant staff, the chef and his kitchen staff, say thank you for your kind remarks on the quality of the food and service. And all of us at Cocotinos look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
Thank you again for taking the time to write a review of our resort it was much appreciated by all of us.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Made our booking based on reviews and photos of the resort. We we not disapointed.... The gardens around the vilas were beautiful and very well maintained. They had the best beach of any that we visited to collect sea shells and i'm guessing that the snorling and scuba diving would also be incredable. If your looking for a nice place to totaly get away from everything this would be the place. One dissapointment was that there was only Wi-Fi (free though) in the restaraunt. The food here was very good and in our short stay of 2 night we were un-able to find a dish that we did not like. I saw a few single people her and i sincerly hope they were looking for solitude as this was all I think they would of found. (So I am saying this is not the place to come if your looking to go out and meet people) If I were staying here for an extended period I would suggest one of the ocean view rooms. All the tap water is a slightly salty brine but there was always an ampel supply of fresh water (Mineral) avalible in our room for washing face, brushing teeth, making tea or coffee ect.....

Room Tip: The Garden room with outdoor shower was great. It appared as though there were a couple of really gr...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kim P
IwanSitompul, General Manager at Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your kind review of our Cocotinos Resort. I am so glad that you both found our resort so quiet and secluded, which is what was the owner wanted when he found the location for Cocotinos. Of course it also helps that we are located on a white sand beach with lots of sea shells for you to collect; and yes, the snorkeling and scuba diving are also excellent. Regarding the WiFi only being available at the restaurant area, unfortunately one of the penalties we have to pay for being in an area which is a bit remote is that utilities which are normally easily available are difficult to obtain. The only internet available at the present time is a “narrow band” connection. So we have to restrict the internet to the restaurant area. Hopefully this will change and improve over time. Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. It is much appreciated by me and my staff. I look forward to having you both stay with us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Desa Sekotong Barat
Kila Senggigi Beach Lombok
Kila Senggigi Beach Lombok
#10 of 29 in Senggigi
Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi

Been to Cocotinos Sekotong, Boutique Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!