“The best place on Lombok!”
Review of Sempiak Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Selong Belanak
Sempiak Villas
Warsaw, Poland
“The best place on Lombok!”
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Few days spent in Sempiak Villas will remain in our memory forever. This place is unique for several reasons. The villas are beautifully situated on a hill overlooking a hypnotic view of the beautiful beach and the valley bordered with hills. You can sit for hours staring at the sight. The villas are beautifully furnished, spacious and luxurious. The staff is very friendly and they are trying to make every guest feel comfortable. At the bottom of the hill on which villas stand is a restaurant where you can eat lunch or dinner. It serves delicious local cuisine. On a hill with villas near a small pool is also a place where breakfast is served during which you can contemplate the beautiful view of the surrounding countryside. The beach is great! Perfect to learn surfing. Water is quite shallow here and lack of the reef causes the waves are quite big. Sand is white and clean. Nearby is a small fishing village. The place is calm and quiet. At night you can watch a wonderful starry sky. Greatly recommend this place!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Michal_C_Poland
SempiakVillas, General Manager at Sempiak Villas, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Well, we hope to welcome you back one day for some more great relaxing, wining and dining and swimming. Thanks for your staying with us and for your very kind recommendation here.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I had very high expectations when I booked a villa at Sempiak, and they were exceeded. The villa was beautiful, the location was idyllic, and the service was remarkable. My only regret was that we only booked two days so that we could go back to Bali before our vacation ended. If we had known how amazing Sempiak was going to be, we would have been sure to have given Bali a miss and spent our entire vacation at Selong Belanak. I felt like I was somehow getting away with something and living FAR beyond my means. I'll be going back as soon as I am able, and I'm counting the days until then...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Noah B
SempiakManager, General Manager at Sempiak Villas, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
It is always gratifying to hear that we have done more than meet all your expectations - thank you from all the staff. Although there are things in Bali that won't be found here (including terrible traffic and endless touts!), the Bali/Lombok axis is often a very 'balanced' trip, if you have the time.
Our guests often add a trip to one of the Gili Islands to make a sort of 3 pronged trip.
Anyway, we are very happy you were able to luxuriate at Sempiak, enjoy the warmth, and we too look forward to welcoming you back when you are ready for more of the same.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 31, 2011

This is a very much overdue review for my stay in October... a stay that was very happily doubled in length, I might add :-) The delay in writing has however, only confirmed how wonderful Sempiak really was - I feel as strongly about it now as I did when I was there.

I really think that here you can make the kind break you would like... I travelled solo and loved the friendliness and chance to do my own thing - but equally met couples who enjoyed the romantic potential of this spot.

The accomodation is of a kind that many others could learn from - locally sourced materials constructed to blend modern comfort (aircon, fab beds) with an awareness of your surrounds and perfectly situated for the best morning and sunset vistas around (I stayed in two different ones - both fabulously comfortable). They are uniquely decorated with personal and local influence - keep an eye out for similar beautiful touches around the grounds! The villas all had great access to the beautiful pool - lovely use of local stone... & the view!!! (I took soooo many shots from the pool deck!).
In the villas I read (wonderful library in each villa), chatted when I wanted, listened to music (MP3 player in the villas) and gazed out to the horizon for way too long... and avoided a bit of study I had planned ;-/ (Very definitely brilliant value for money)

The food was great - home and locally grown ingredients are used and clearly a lot of love and pride! For my stay I enjoyed local and international dishes that were impeccable - and once I had mentioned my love for all things spicy, there were some fabulous tailored options (yum!!) - but don't be scared, definitely not your only choice! ;-)
The location is key of course - simply beautiful beach with surrounding landscape providing a beautiful and unspoiled backdrop. I am a very fussy beach-goer... they are my thing - and I just loved this one. Relatively empty, with enough local goings-on to keep it interesting (fishing village at one end) - and the perfect length for great early and evening strolls. In the time I was there conditions were varied - again great! - with the local fishing influx a real highlight as conditions evolved.

Aside from all of this, are the people... all of the above can be found, bought, built made (and I am lucky enough to have traveled substantially to have seen other potentially great places)... but the people here are the what shapes Sempiak as the wonderful place I experienced...
I simply loved getting the "backstories" to how this place grew to be - and continues to evolve. Notably there is admirable respect and integration of the inherent characteristics of the area and its people in the running of Sempiak Villas - with a wonderful meshing of awareness of how things impact the area and resources that they enjoy. Here you will remain aware of your surroundings and where you are, yet experience clever little luxuries that make you feel indulged.
I cannot rate the staff highly enough - both Kemang and his Lait Biru staff and the wonderful team that took care of me in the villas and at meal times (Thankyou!)... again part of what makes Sempiak.

I should also mention access - While I flew in from Bali, I was lucky enough to use the (very) new international airport (very close to sempiak really) to head directly back to Singapore - an easier option that could give you more flexibility in your holiday.

So... This has already been an excrutiatingly long review - and yet I still haven't got to all the things I am dying to rave about...
So let me just finish here by saying this was a relatively inpromtu stay that grew, and left me (a frequent traveler) with memories of conversations, experiences and imagery that I have recalled everyday since... and will definitely revisit again (can’t wait!!).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank heresjoanna
Wow, there should be a review of reviewers!, (or maybe there is..) because yours would certainly be one of the most well thought-out and expressed, not to mention glowing testimonials that we could hope for here at Sempiak Villas, LBC and Selong Belanak. You really have captured the essence of what we are trying to achieve here, not just for our own professional satisfaction, but maybe even as a model for future developments in the area.
And one thing we are never short of here is stories, hilarious, serious or otherwise entertaining.

We also keep trying to improve, and add new services. We have two great new experienced staff for Villa Supervisor (Dani) and Front of House (Dessy). WiFi is spreading across the Sempiak area (not everyone thinks that is such a good thing), and soon we will have our next Villa available.

So we thank you for the time and effort that went into your wonderful review, (which we have translated for the staff) and we hope to welcome you back soon to revel in all you enjoyed this time, plus a few more interesting developments.
Hong Kong
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Perched on a hill overlooking a beautiful white sand beach - it could not be any better than this. The villas and the resort are built to a very high standard. The infinity pools are amazing. There is a legion of staff keeping the place in perfection. Adam and Clive are wonderful hosts making you feel like at home. It feels like the perfect privte resort with no tourists around.
My wife and I have travelled a lot - but we were truly amazed by this stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sharonandroland
SempiakVillas, General Manager at Sempiak Villas, responded to this review, December 26, 2011
Greetings and thank you for sending in this wonderful review. The staff always get a big boost and thrill when we show them these great reviews (usually translated, but their confidence in English is growing in leaps and bounds). As do we!
So we hope you have a great New Year, and we look forward to seeing you again when you are next ready to get back to paradise!
Regards to you both,
Adam Parkinson
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2011

You will not believe this place until you visit. It is like no where that we have been before. I came across Sempiak whilst browsing on TripAdvisor and booked for me and my boyfriend to stay for one night at the end of our holiday in Indonesia. Well, I can only say that I had wished we had spend our entire holiday here. The place is incredible. It is picture perfect, totally relaxing, with a beach to yourself, and the most stunning views. We stayed in Villa Opek and it was everything we had imagined from the photos.

The chefs prepare you a 3 course dinner, from locally sourced ingredients (you can just let them know of any dietary requirements) and the food is delcious. Set around the pool, by candlelight watching the sunset, its just so romantic. The breakfast also was fantastic, set around the poolside with views of the ocean. There is not one bad thing that I can say about this place.

There are grey monkeys about and like to join you for breakfast, which is great. The little cafe Laut Biru serves fantastic food for lunch too, and I can highly reccomend the Thai Green Curry.

The reason this place is so fantastic is the location and the fact that its a small resort, you feel like you have the place to yourself. I hope plans to expand don't spoil this incredible place.

We can not wait to return next year for a longer visit!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BowdenHogg
SempiakVillas, General Manager at Sempiak Villas, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Thank you for your glowing review - one of the best things that you can hear from guests is that they were able to, asked to or wanted to stay longer!

Yes we are very lucky with our position - a bit of paradise at the end of the jungle road, we like to joke. Luckily, our position on the hill will keep us a little bit 'aloof' from any future 'progress' in the area.

The monkeys are most pleased that the rains have arrived, and apologise for looking hungrily at your breakfast! Thankfully, while we accept that the hill is theirs as well, we do try and ensure that they are not in any way socialised, fed or made less wary of humans than they should be. We certainly don't want to have Ubud Monkey forest or Uluwatu Temple monkeys here!

We have made a few changes to the cafe menu - but not the favourites. So actually more like additional items - creative things with tempura! Also we now have free wifi there for guests. We hope to extend that to the villas as well, when our bigger aerial arrives.

We will be celebrating our first year anniversary on january 1st and we hope to see return visits by guests like yourself soon. The beach chair already has your name on it. The cocktail is still chilling.
Netherlands
Reviewed November 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed in this corner of paradise for two (way too short) days in October 2011 and we sooo wished we could have stayed longer.
We have been to many nice tropical beaches and stayed in a few very nice hotels or guesthouses, but this place is now on top of our list. It is difficult to decide which of its many attributes to list first: the incredible view from the pool area, where you also enjoy your amazing breakfast, the heavenly beach below , with its turquoise water and white sand and almost nobody else on it (!), the elegant, cosy villas with everything you could ever wish for in a room/bungalow (from stylish deco, to iPod dock, to comfy bed and so on), the amazing food (part of which is grown in their own garden) or the small touches everywhere which attest to excellent management (unlimited free drinking water, fresh flowers, such comfy beach loungers you will never want to get up from them, a lit-up path to the beach in the evening etc).
What is really incredible about this place is that it is soo beautiful, yet so private. Sempiak villas are the only accommodation option on a stunningly beautiful stretch of beach in Selong Belanak (for now), and they only have 3 rooms (soon to be 4), so at times you can almost feel like you’re alone in a tropical paradise (except you have all the amenities of a five star resort – but minus the crowd of other tourists). Another important difference with many other beautiful places around Indonesia is that Sempiak is really well-managed. Clive and Adam, the two managers, live on the property and see that every little detail is how it should be. When we decide to go for a second honeymoon, we will definitively come back – for longer!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TjasaB
It was a real pleasure having you both here. And it is especially rewarding for us when guests do notice the little touches that we have tried to introduce to make Sempiak stand out a bit.

Although, as you say, we currently have no trouble standing out due to our uniquely private and gorgeous location, which we currently have the sole pleasure of occupying.

And thank you for your kind comments regarding the smooth management of the property - although we do have to share that praise equally with the wonderful staff, most of whom are from the local areas, and have really risen to the challenge, and supported us in this endeavour. Some if not many, of the things that we take for granted, are quite new, alien perhaps even to them (not to mention most amusing!), yet they happily get on with the job.

Our next villa will be opening on April1st (no joke!) and we are already taking bookings for it.
So don't delay! Come back for that second honeymoon soon. We look forward to greeting you again.
Texas
Reviewed October 30, 2011

AMAZING! It doesn't get better than this. Let me preface by saying we are seasoned travelers, and though we thought it would be a nice stay here, we were surprised that it was one of our very favorite experiences of the whole three weeks we spent in Indonesia. My fiance and I do long distance so when we got here after traveling for about 24 hours each, we immediately knew we made the right decision and had officially arrived in heaven. First, the beach is SUPERB - crystal clear water, soft white sand, almost no tourists, and just locals, though mostly it is secluded and at night, you can even have the entire beach to yourself. Next, the food is sublime. We are picky and like fresh, flavorful food and it truly was excellent here. Even now, we still long for the fresh breakfast with a view to die for. The coffee is fantastic as well. Of course, the villas themselves are impeccable. The owners have thought of everything, from bath products to top of the line towels and linens, to decor that is all local, using local wood. The movies and games in our villa were a nice touch. The dinners were excellent as well. The pool is beautifully designed and the views are never tiring - either you see the jungle and rice paddies or a gorgeous tropical beach. You can't go wrong!

There are activities to do during the day that the owners can arrange, but honestly, once you get there, you will just want to relax and enjoy.

But most of all, it is the owners that are truly so welcoming, so helpful and so kind and that is what will bring me back (as well as the flawless beach and food!) This is the first review I have written on tripadvisor and it is because I simply could not let it pass. In fact, I am sending my friends here in a few weeks, though I am on the fence because I Don't want it to get too discovered. :) The experience was unforgettable and my fiance and I will always treasure our memories here.

Thank you a million times over to the generous owners. Fabulous stay. Very, very highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TxWanderer
SempiakVillas, Manager at Sempiak Villas, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
And Thank You for your amazing review. We had a very fun time with the staff translating your high praise - so a foreign language training exercise for both English and Indonesian speakers, as well as a way of praising the staff for their good work.
What can I say, it was a pleasure to be able to meet you and provide such enduring memories for you as well as for us. And we hope to be able to repeat the experience again soon!
Thanks again, and all the best.
Adam and all the staff at SV/LBC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selong Belanak
Villa Bau Nyale
Villa Bau Nyale
#1 of 11 in Kuta
Bukit Indah Boutique Accommodation

Been to Sempiak Villas? Share your experiences!