“A true five-star experience”

Dos Lunas Horse RIding Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ongamira
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I've never written a review on TripAdvisor because my stay at Dos Lunas was my first true five-star experience.

The location is secluded and absolutely gorgeous. The terrain varies so you can explore for hours. We explored rolling hills, beautiful valleys, and interesting red rock formations.

The estancia itself is lovely. The rooms are large and beautifully decorated. The beds are comfortable and the rooms had nice sitting rooms with big, cozy couches. We ate lunch on a nice patio and had breakfast/tea/dinner in rooms spread around the property. There is also a pool, though it was too early in the season to use it.

The food was great, especially the afternoon asado where we sampled a bunch of delicious cuts of meat. The assortment of snacks at tea time was another highlight. All food was included in the price of the stay. All we spent money on were a few delicious bottles of wine and water/sodas. The estancia is able to accomodate all dietary restrictions (we requested vegetarian and gluten-free food for two of our group members).

I am a horse rider so I chose Dos Lunas to ride. The horses are great and the estancia caters to all levels. Even the beginners in our group were able to gallop through the fields. The horses were beautifully trained but not dull like trail horses are--they responded to their riders and made us feel safe because of their surefootedness.

The most incredible part of this estancia is the perfect service. Vicky and Juan are truly wonderful--one of the travelers in our group was very sick and Juan and Vicky were able to arrange for medicine to be brought in from town an hour or so away. The kitchen staff was able to accomodate her need for specific foods, like plain white rice. In other words, the staff went above and beyond the call of duty. The staff are friendly and welcoming and we truly felt at home at Dos Lunas. I cannot emphasize enough what a wonderful couple Vicky and Juan are--Dos Lunas is lucky to have them. The experience would not be the same without their hospitality.

The booking experience with Nicolas was also easy and friendly. I messed up the dates of our trip and realized my mistake only the day before, and Nicolas was able to fix my dates on short notice and set up our transfer. He was truly a pleasure to work with.

Overall, I am sure this trip will be a highlight of my 6 month trip to Argentina. Thank you, Dos Lunas!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
D2-lunas, Director General at Dos Lunas Horse RIding Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear BritaJW,

Thank you very much for the time you took to send us such a wonderful opinion.

It is an honour for us to read your lines.

I would like to say we do our best to make guests feel as you felt, but you really said it all!
I believe future guests would read your opinion and would not even be able to hesitate on booking with Dos Lunas.

We love what we do, each of us, every minute, and it is wonderful to know that you received it that way.

We hope to see you in the future and still enjoying Argentina's beauty.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Very beautiful environment. Vicky and Juan are very friendly hosts, Domingo knows everything about horses. Very good kitchen. High noon tea at five. Great rooms. Amazing horse trips through the pampa.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jorge6868,

Thank you very much for your opinion.

We are very glad to know that you enjoyed every experience at Dos Lunas.

Horses and the Pampas are anxious to receive you again.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

People are wonderful, the lodging is comfortable, old enough to have great character and modern with so much charm.
As soon as we arrived - after a night in couch bus and 2 hours drive - Juan showed us the dining room for a great breakfast waiting for us and said: Whenever you are finish the horses are ready and we can go for the first ride!
I had not ridden a horse in 30 years and here I was with my 2 Teenagers galloping in the pampas! The riding is exceptional, the mountains and plains beautiful and the horses really easy and fast if you want it.
I'll never forget the trip to the peak of the mountain with the condors.
Juan and his wife are wonderful host. You can tell they love their country and their place.

Bruno, Mathis and Thaïs from Paris

Room Tip: Massages were great too
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Bruno, Mathis and Thaïs,

It was a pleasure to have you all as guests at Dos Lunas.

It was a pleasure to share our Pampas and horses with all of you.
Our land still asks for you :)

We still working hard evey day to make every experience unique.

We look forward to receiving you again in the future.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had a great time at Dos Lunas: from horse riding in the middle of nowhere, to having a great high tea at the pool and a fantastic diner in the dining room. Beautiful location and very friendly staff.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
D2-lunas, Gerente at Dos Lunas Horse RIding Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Saskia7890,

Thank you so much for your comments and your time spent on them.
We are very pleased to read your great feedback knowing that you had a wonderful time at Dos Lunas.

We really enjoy our horse back rides and love sharing our nature with our guests.

If your visit was too short, remember we are opened the whole year for you :)

Kindest Regards,
Dos Lunas team

Reviewed March 20, 2013

My favorite things about Dos Lunas -- just about everything! My friend Diana and I chose this place specifically for the riding experience it offered. I have been lucky enough to have ridden some of the best local venues (e.g. North Salem NY trails) and have also done horseback treks in Ireland and New Zealand, but this trip topped them all! The terrain was so amazing, the horses were so fit, shiny coats, roached manes and banged tails, perfectly trained and as sure footed as goats! My friend and I are confident riders and our guides were understanding of the experience we wanted... not nose to tail trail riding! We rode for 2-6 hours a day, morning and afternoon, with some great gallops, and every trip was different and amazing, including a ride to the top of the highest local mountain top. Juan and Vicky were incredible hosts, very personable, informative on local customs and ranch info, and a lot of fun to hang out with! The kitchen staff was attentive and accomplished -- and we loved having Martino and Pica serving our wine and meals -- both with great panache!
The bedrooms were simply and beautifully decorated... classic style, very comfortable by modern standards, yet maintaining the look of the victorian roots of the estancia. I loved the sounds of the place, hearing the rooster crow in the morning, and the snorts and whinnies of the horses who had made their way into the courtyard to graze during the night!
I could go on and on...a special place, with special people...an experience I will hold close forever.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Maureen D
D2-lunas, Gerente at Dos Lunas Horse RIding Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear Maureen D,

Thank you so much for taking time to send us your feedback.
It is so nice to receive guests that love horses and nature as much as we do.

At Dos Lunas we all work hard everyday to improve our services and its very nice to hear that we could fullfil your expectations.

Looking forward to receiving you again!

Warmest Regards,
Dos Lunas team

Reviewed March 19, 2013

On my fifth trip to Argentina since 2005, I wanted to make this a trip that focused on horseback riding. The top riding apparel store in BA had told me that the best place for riding was Dos Lunas and they were right on.

Juan, General Manager, made us feel right at home. We were the only people at Dos Lunas for four days and Juan immediately changed our accommodations and moved us into a charming two bedroom 'cottage' at no extra charge.

We rode every day twice a day alternating between Bessima, Mimosa, India and Nieva. Every time we went out we took a different route. Almost always Juan came with us and occasionally his lovely wife, Vicky, and also, Domingo, the gaucho. The views were absolutely stunning with each trip more spectacular than that last.

My friend has owned a horse for years and I have been leasing a horse for the past 5 years and both of us ride our warmbloods at home about three times a week. I had told my friend that the Criollo breed is quite different: calm, sure-footed as mountain goats, big hearted, reliable, fit, and sturdy. We brought down our helmets and left them in the room after the first day. Juan and Domingo were more than happy to let us set the pace. The terrain is such that there are steep climbs and rocky ledges, but there are plenty of opportunities to lope across the pampas. Our expectations were more than surpassed and I fulfilled a bucket list item by helping to drive 11 mares and 11 foals to another grazing area. .

The meals at Dos Lunas are exceptional and never repetitive. We ate lunch by the pool and dinner was served in the dining room. The prices of wines is very reasonable. Sometimes we took our tea and mate on our afternoon trail ride which was a nice diversion.

Our trip will go down as one of the best of my lifetime and I have travelled a great deal! And certainly this was the best horseback riding I have ever experienced.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Diana M

Dear Diana M,

Just by reading that your "bucket List was fulfilled" at Dos Lunas and even that your "expectations were more than surpassed" it makes us feel that we are doing the rights things.

We love looking after our guests everyday and try to make you feel at home, with new and different experiences.

We keep on working to improve your experiences.

Looking forward to receiving your visit again and keep on riding and riding across the hills.

Best Regards,
Dos Lunas Team

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Did you ever want to get away from all the hectic frantic city/work life ? This is certainly a great place to do it. Juan and Vicky and the entire staff were great. All meals were fabulous with breakfast and lunch served on beautiful outdoor patio and dinner in a charming dining room. Riding and hiking were in spectacular setting. We spent 4 nights in a remote area of paradise.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Johnbud,

Thank you very much for your feedback!

As we say,we are sorrounded by nature, and you are right.
Dos lunas is the place to get away from the city for some time, refresh your mind and thoughts.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your ridings, setting and meals.
Your compliments have been sent to the chefs.

We hope you may visit us again when in Argentina.

Best Regards,
Dos Lunas Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ongamira
La Guarida Hotel
#8 of 11 in Capilla del Monte
Hotel Boutique Villa Art
Hotel Boutique Villa Art
#1 of 6 in La Cumbre

Been to Dos Lunas Horse RIding Lodge? Share your experiences!