“Uncomfortable beds and too cold”
Review of Stapleford Park

Stapleford Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stapleford
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Uncomfortable beds and too cold”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We booked a luxury spa break to celebrate my partner's birthday and hoped for a relaxing break.
We arrived early to use the gym and spa, we were told our room was ready when we arrived so popped in to drop off our bags and get changed before heading to the gym. Upon check out I discovered this quick changed had cost me the price of an early check in. At no point was I informed this would cost and I find this underhand for such an establishment. The gym and spa were lovely with great staff and service. The food and service at lunch, dinner and breakfast were faultless. The big disappointment came with the very cold bedroom which was noisy, and the pointless feature of two beds being pushed together to make one. This resulted in a very poor night's sleep for my partner and a poor night for me through the cold.
I wouldn't stay there again and certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone who enjoys sleeping.
Head to Ragdale Hall as the food and service are just as good without the negative feelings and false apologies. All in all...a big let down that cost the price of a premium luxury break. Never again

Room Tip: Ensure they room has one bed and isn't a cheap trick expected from a much cheaper brand of hotel...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband and I have just spent my 40th birthday at this hotel. The hotel is stunning, the restaurant staff we found excellent, and the food was outstanding. I had a very relaxing treatment in the spa and thought the pool was great. The only negative was that we were woken up at 6am by the fire alarm! Not great when we were in desperate need of a lie in (having a 3 year old!). We would love to return, even though to stay in the hotel is very expensive, we thought the food was very good value and would certainly consider just dining here in the future. Thank you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Samantha P
SPL8888, Director and Owners Representatives at Stapleford Park, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank you for your kind review and apologies for any disturbance to you sleep. Chef will be delighted to hear your comments on his food and we hope to see you soon.
Brancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Underwhelming in every way! Had a 1 night stay mid week intending a "relaxed getaway" with my wife on Jan 30th. Chose Stapleford over Hambleton Hall exclusively for the recreational facilities and knowing that we were trading off Hambleton's reputation for impeccable food for the benefit of the swimming etc at Stapleford. Without prior notice and having specified this intention when booking, it turned out that the pool was out of service; sauna out of service; steam room out of service; chef was effectively "out of service" as the food was very, very average and materially below what you'd expect from an SLH hotel; and room was cold! All management staff were absent from our attempts to rectify the disappointment. Service staff did an admirable job of trying to make us "feel better", BUT without any tangible form of service recovery or recognition from the management of the hotel's faillure to deliver the amenities it publicises. Underwhelming and completely disappointing in every way. Had the hotel made any effort to respond to our disappointment I'm certain we'd have a much more pleasing memory of an abortive mid week getaway...............

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Adam P
Birmingham
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night and were delighted with the service, accommodation and food. From the moment we arrived we were given every attention needed until our departure the following morning. Our Secret Escapes deal entitled us to a One Night Stay for Two with Breakfast, use of the Spa Facilitiues and a late check out. Having requested a country room (as opposed to a modern contemporary room) we were thoroughly delighted with the room we were given (Harebell). The room was beautifully painted by a very skillful artist with lots of country scenery and animals. It was a pleasure in itself to marvel at the expertise of the artists work as every attention to detail had been considered very carefully even down to the focus of the rolling landscape. We felt like we had our private room in the forest and fields and it was beautiful to wake up to a squirrel and a badeger looking at me, with horses on the other side of the room and trees overhead. The Afternoon Cream Tea was served to us in the library soon after we arrived and we both thoroughly enjoyed the home made scones served with lashings of fresh cream and home made jam (an excellent compote that was low in sugar). The breakfast was delicious and there was a great deal to choose from on the menu. The Eggs Benedict were great as was the Stapleford Grill. To top it all we had snow fall with just a light enough dusting to enhance the beauty of the Hotel and its surroundings. We look forward to returning to Stapleford Park in the not too distant future and we advise you to do the same, well worth every penny.

Room Tip: Look on the website to view the rooms. Some are House Rooms, some are more superior and there are ma...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Great Milton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I joined friends at Stapleford for a 2-night spa break. My first visit there and also my first spa break.

The Clarins spa is absolutely fantastic. Well run with great, motivated staff who obviously enjoy working there. You have to walk to the former stable block where it is however and if you are used to spas where you spend the day in your bathrobe then this might not be the place for you.

The pool complex is in the hotel however with a small sauna and steam room. No plunge pool. When I was there the pool was closed for the first 24 hours and I was not advised of this on booking or on arrival. Then the ladies changing rooms were closed and the pool re-opened.
Minor points but worth noting as it is a luxury destination with 5% service charged on top of your all your spend.

The food was plentiful and very good. As we were on a spa break we had a smaller menu to choose from and I wouldn't have liked to have this for more than the 2 nights we were there for.
It was not a health spa menu either - more of a fat farm menu!

The room was double aspect and quite comfortable. It was turned down one night but not both!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank lestroispigeons
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We are british but live abroad, and during our Christmas trip we looked for a luxury family friendly hotel to break up our long journey form the north of the UK to the south. We stayed at Stapleford for one night on the 27th December, with our four year old son.

The property and grounds are beautiful, so we arrived with smiles on our faces and were met by the front desk with 'Yes?'. How about Welcome? Merry Christmas?! We arrived at midday, as planned, and had been informed when booking that we would be able to enjoy lunch before checking into our room. It transpired that staff just do not communicate at Stapleford.The receptionist informed us that we should have booked (we were told it was not necessary when we made our room booking). We were shown through to the library and told that our lunch order would be taken. No one came. After twenty minutes we asked, and asked and finally we were given a menu and ordered drinks. Apparently they don't have a children's menu, so our son had a half adults portion from the menu. We ate in a very formal dining room, lovely but far too stuffy for a light lunch with a (well-behaved) four year old. Our waitress was super, and it seems they do in fact have a children's menu, so we were able to order a child appropriate dessert.

Our room was lovely, with a beautiful view over the gardens. However, the window was not secure. Had we been traveling with an even younger child, we would have had to request a different room, because the window catch was easily lifted from a child's reach, leaving the window to swing open. Not at all safe for a family friendly hotel!

The pool was lovely, with plenty of towels available.

We had a babysitter booked (who was superb, very friendly and although our son remained asleep the entire time, we were confident of her reassuring manner). Because we were dining later, we went for afternoon tea so that our son could have his supper. We asked for the children's dining area and was shown into the drawing room. Beautiful, elegant and perfect for adults. But... it meant that our son ate spaghetti bolognese whilst sat on a cream sofa (no other choice), leaning over an antique occasional table. Seriously? This is family friendly?! I think we would have just left had we been with a younger child. Thankfully not a drop was spilt.

Our evening dinner was lovely, the staff consistently got our order wrong, but they were small details and easily corrected.

Breakfast the next day was lovely.

This hotel is beautiful and it really does feel like you are staying at a wealthy friends estate, staff are discreet and it has a homely atmosphere. However, some guidance would be helpful. We only discovered the billiards room and a small games room with a train set, rocking horse and board games as we were checking out. A short tour of the house would have been so nice and I am sure we would have settled in far more quickly. With only one nights stay there isn't time to 'explore', we wanted to simply 'enjoy'.

On check-out we did mention that there were a few things that hadn't been as we expected, the receptionist, a different one to our arrival, was equally sour. Instead of fetching a duty manager for discreet feedback, insisted that we shared our views whilst other guests were waiting to check-out behind us. We were not complaining, simply wishing to share our experience as guests with a young child. The receptionist became very defensive (no need!) and amusingly the gentleman behind us agreed that he too had no idea that rooms such as the games room existed, and that a tour would have been helpful.

We would love to come back and spend a whole weekend at Stapleford (the activities of clay-pigeon shooting, archery, horse riding sound superb), but sadly will wait until our son is a lot, lot older to do so.

Room Tip: Our Grand room was lovely, however the window was not secure and therefore not safe for very young c...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay but it is very expensive!
My room was lovely, though I thought it would be bigger for a grand room. The only real moan I have got about the room is the poor lighting. The only room with good lighting was the bathroom but the mirror isn't full length and you can't get close to it to put your make up on in a good light!

The food in the evening was wonderful! The breafast was good but I was hoping it would be quite special rather than the usual hotel breakfast. I think the way it is presented could be better. It tasted very nice though.

I found the staff were very polite and helpful. We were greeted on arrival in the car park! Such a wonderful welcome!

And one of the most important things... I had a great nights sleep, the bed was more comfortable than my own!

I will definitely go back, I didn't want to leave! It is a real treat and very relaxing.

• Stayed January 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stapleford
Hambleton Hall
Hambleton Hall
#1 of 1 in Hambleton
Sysonby Knoll Hotel (Best Western)
Scalford Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Belton
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
#2 of 2 in Barnsdale

Been to Stapleford Park? Share your experiences!