“I have no words this is a place like home”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel La Cachava

Hotel La Cachava
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castrojeriz
Miami, Florida
“I have no words this is a place like home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

During the summer of 2009 I completed the Camino However, not without some set backs along the way ! Fortunately, LA CACHAVA was there to save a wondering and broken pilgrim. After hurting my ankle for the third time during my quest to finish el camino and ultimately over my travel partners I needed to find a place to crash ! after attempting a night walk ! Lucky for me the lights at LA CACHAVA were on that cold night after midnight i knocked on the door of this Spanish oasis !! My plan was to stay a night or two see a doctor and move on mmm I stayed 5 night and 6 days in Castro Jeriz and in my room at LA CACHAVA ! ( front left hand side with the great view, awesome bed and terrific 5 star bath) even better just like home !!! I got to know everyone on my street and was invited to play cards with ever (abuela on the block) !! join the locals at the pubs met more pilgrims and bought gifts at the local market .... ahhhh I love the place !! Historical and sort of creapy at night the place is 100 % Spanish !! I felt I was under the watch of el Cid himself
If you go to Spain stop and stay at La CACHAVA .... you can stay in my room its ok I live in Miami !!! The place is clean comfortable and more then just friendly !!! its really a place i will never ever forget !!!!!! Also promise while your there go to the convent !!!!
MAYBE ONE DAY THE OWNER SELLS ME THE PLACE !!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank roxana C

Business
ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2008

After 29 km of walking from Burgos in a downpour on this otherwise beautiful rolling countryside, accommodation was unavailable for me in Hontanas and a further 9 km in the rain brought me into Castrojeriz, tired and soggy. The hotel I stayed at in 2005 was closed for holidays and I wandered the streets of this historic village looking for a place to stay when I saw the hotel sign on an old house on the main street.

After ringing on the bell, a face appeared at an upper window-- the hotel's owner. After some conversation, he switched into fluent English and, after telling me that they were booked solid, took pity on me and said that he would arrange something for me. I entered and he took me up to a clean and comfortable room off the upstairs patio, with a small but adequate bathroom with high-quality amenities. This small hotel was geared to an affluent Spanish clientele, and the 45 euro price (including breakfast) was fair.

Dinner involved another 16 euro for an excellent home-made meal of three courses with wine, all local produce, and cheerfully presented by the landlord, who normally took the Monday off with his staff but looked upon the half-dozen squelching and miserable pilgrims with compassion and made us dinner.

The downstairs parlour, with a blazing fire, was a great social space and the three Canadians found their Spanish improving as the English fluency of the Spanish guests improved equally quickly, fuelled by the honour bar.

Breakfast the next morning was typical of the Spanish understanding of this meal, with rolls, cheese and jam, along with strengthening coffee, and was included in the price.

• Liked — High quality facilities and extra efforts of the management
  • Disliked — the rain
  • Stayed September 2007
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank elmstrasse
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castrojeriz
Real Monasterio San Zoilo
Hostal Camino de Santiago
Camino de Santiago
Camino de Santiago
#3 of 6 in Castrojeriz

Been to Hotel La Cachava? Share your experiences!