“Do your research”

Inis Oirr And Cliffs of Moher Cruise
Ranked #1 of 2 Transportation in Doolin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Doolin2Aran Ferries is owned by the Garrihy's family and is the largest ferry company operating between Doolin and the Aran Islands. It is the original Cliffs Of Moher cruise company. It operates a fleet of 4 ships with a capacity for 332 passengers and sails from March to November. We hope to welcome you on board soon!
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Be aware certain times of the year they don’t do day trips to Inishmore. Inisheer may be the only available daytrip. We went in April and didn’t make it to Inishmore. My concern was we arrived the day before and talked to the staff and they guaranteed us a day trip to Inishmore and the Cliffs, so we booked with this company. The next day we boarded and 30 minutes into the trip were informed we weren’t taking the trip we thought and would only be day tripping to Inisheer (the smaller first island). After talking with several locals about this switch we learned everyone knew there was no day trip to Inishmore and we were likely just told this and switched to get a sale away from the other available companies.

Other than the bait and switch the boat, ride, and trip were nice.

Be aware there are several companies there you can book trips with, so do your research.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,184)
All reviews
in 13 reviews
"small boat"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Back in October of 2011, I took this ferry company out to the smallest Island. Before coming out, I was warned by a B&B on the island NOT to use this company, and to use the other company nearer to Galway. I didn't listen--but wished I had. Anyhow, I left on a Friday and was ASSURED I would be able to return the next morning. Well, early on Saturday I received a text saying the boats would not be operating until the afternoon--they had canceled the morning sailing at the last minute. Thus, I was stranded on the small Island until that evening. It was raining and miserable with nothing else to do and no way to leave.

Fast forward to this past April, I once again decided to try this company because my mother was in town and we wanted to visit the largest island and then take in the Cliffs on our way home--thus, this company was the best option because of their location to the cliffs. Well, when I got to the ticketing office in Doolin, we were told that (contrary to the information on the website), they were not sailing to the largest island that day, because (and I quote) "all the other passengers want to go to the small island." Because my mom hadn't been out there, we bought tickets anyhow. The boat was scheduled to leave at 11am--it was over an hour late coming to get us. Then, originally, the boat was to return to Doolin at 2:15. By the time we got out to the Island, that only left us a little over an hour to do everything--including eat lunch and see the sights. Of course, as things typically go, no one on the ship was saying whether or not they were going to adjust the schedule. Well--they didn't, and I had to call the office to get information on what our options were since we felt we were taken for our money and not given enough time to see the island. We were told we could take the last ferry back at 4:45pm, which we did.

The bottom line with this company--they are TOTALLY unreliable. They do not stick to a schedule, and they change their sailings at a whim. Please use the other company nearer to Galway as they are much more reliable. As the saying goes "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." Well, I can guarantee they won't have a chance to fool me a third time.

1  Thank greyhoundymom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We went on the cliffs tour on a beautiful, sunny day and enjoyed the scenery but even with good weather, the waves were huge. After an hour on that boat, even I was feeling seasick and that's not normally an issue with me. The boat was a little crowded and there aren't enough seats outside. We had to hold on with one hand on the railing (too crowded to be able to lean on the railing) and it was super rocky. Got a few laughs out of everyone trying to stay on their feet.
I was hoping they'd say a little about the area, such as point out the Harry Potter site or the puffins, but they didn't.
The boat left 15 minutes late, but we didn't mind that. It was a little late getting back from the islands, probably because of the huge waves.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

The crew was very helpful and friendly, and the price was excellent considering the trip to the islands as well as the water tour of the cliffs. One crew member took the time to tell us about the nearby scenery and offered suggestions about the best way to see the Aran Islands. We will definitely be back to Doolin and will be making the boat ride to the islands again!