“Home Away From Home”

Ranked #28 of 53 Doolin B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Home Away From Home”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Keep coming back for more. . . Have stayed here for the Russell Weekend, at the end of February, for well over a decade, enjoying concerts and set dancing, and great music in the pubs. Have seen Mary's B&B develop and the Sweeney family blossom. Now, along with a 5 star bed and breakfast, with clean, comfortable beds; genial hosts/family; and beautiful surroundings, is the added feature of Pat Sweeney's guided cliff walk from Doolin. On a recent visit at the end of April to the beginning of May 2012 the stunning walk was featured with stories of past events along the Cliffs from Doolin toward the Cliffs of Moher. The mighty Cliffs were viewed, as well, from the sea, on the "Jack B" cruising from the Doolin pier, accompanied by Dusty the Dolphin, over to "The Stack" off the Cliffs of Moher for photo opportunities. Then down under we went--80 meters--to observe the billion year old staligtite at Doolin Cave. Up the street, in Kilfenora, a trad music festival, with singing and dancing at Vaughan's, etc. -- and in the square a free for all with the Kilfenora Ceil Band. The charm of the various flowers poking through the rocky Burren was dazzling. --Now with Shannon Airport going private it is hoped that more opportunities can be had to fly direct in to Shannon and not have to dig out of of some distant city to be able to enjoy the comforts and convenience of County Clare. Thank you Sweeneys for always being there to make each trip home, better than the one before.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank GMFRNJD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Absolutely charming! This was one of the greatest experiences of any B&B I’ve ever stayed it. I was here with my mother on vacation here, and just had the most wonderful time. Mary is the most delightful person, so wonderfully charming and accommodating. Her sons were a delight to spend time with, and her adorable mother Mary Senior, as she was called, simply precious. This is as real as it gets for the experience of a typical Irish family, their house out in the country, gorgeous surroundings.. and Doolin was not too far of a drive at all the next day. Our room was terrific. Mary made us a lovely traditional Irish breakfast, black pudding (blood pudding) and all. It was all terrific! Such a wonderfully sweet family, and I can’t glow enough about them and their lovely home. It was a privilege to be their guest for the night, and would return there without hesitation. I left a bit misty eyed to be entirely truthful, I felt I had become part of the family and quite simply didn't want to leave. A gloriously wonderful stay!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We spent 2 nights at Doonagore Farmhouse recently. The location is fabulous! We were lucky to have 2 relatively nice (although cold!) days in Doolin and we could see all the way to the Aran Islands from our bedroom! It was beautiful! The farmhouse is located very near the Cliffs of Moher and the tiny town of Doolin. Also near by was the Doolin Castle, which isn't much of a castle as it is a tower but it was neat to drive by and you can also see it from the farmhouse. Mary and Pat were very nice and welcoming and Mary cooked a fabulous breakfast! Mary was nice enough to map out a driving route of the Burren for us as well as provide other sight seeing suggestions. The only thing I'd have negative to say is that we didn't sleep that well either night. The first night it was raining and windy and it sounded like it was going to come into our room at any minute. The second night there were people downstairs until 11pm or so and we could hear every word. I can't really fault the owners as it is an older farmhouse so I guess it's a bit excepted. All in all, the place is great, the owners are great, and the location is great. You do have to have a car to get there and around though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room was a sea view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed April 3, 2012

There are alot of places to stay in the Doolin area. We stayed here and loved it. Mary the hostess was great. Room was good and location was perfect. Few minutes into Doolin for some great food,drinks and music. Few minutes the other way and you are at the Cliffs. I was affraid to stay at a B&B feeling it may be like an extra room in their house but it was not like that at all. The have an extra wing on the side for the B&B. At breakfast Mary had a place set for us. As soon as we came down she had the stove going. Food was very good. Good rate. Rooms were comfy. Walls a little thin. We carry a fan and never worry about noise. She had a guest book we signed that dated back to the 90's full of people. These folks know what they are doing.

Happy all around.

Room Tip: Doolin was slow in late March. A few of the top restaurants were closed for the season. Local pubs o...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Roseville, California
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Comfortable accommodations, spacious room, good breakfast, good shower, restful sleep. Plenty of space to spread out. Wish there would have been a kettle in the room. Easy to find and close to the Cliffs of Moher and The Burren. Good value.

• Stayed March 2012
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stayed there almost a year ago and am just now getting to the review. This a very warm and welcoming family. Our daughter loved the donkey and the new little baby she had just had. We had a room that overlooked the donkeys and it couldnt have been more perfect for the baby. We did make a mistake of going out to see the other animals with the boys and the dog was quite excited about it and jumped up adn down and by the end of our tour I was covered in dirt/well not dirt. Since we had already been in Ireland about a week we had just laundered all of our clothes, but Mary offered to launder my clothes for me! They were ready for me the next morning clean and ready to go. The one downside that we did expereince here was that in the morning the house seemed to be full adn apparently everyone had showered early, so by the time I went there was no more hot water. Mary assured me that by the time I was done eating my breakfast that there would be hot water and she was right, so in the end it all worked out. We had so much fun staying at this working farm house. We only stayed one night, but the family was beyond friendly, I can see why they have been in buisineess for so long.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Austin, TX
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I don't know how I managed to not write this review for almost a year. Oh well, better now than never I guess.

Mary and Pat Sweeney are gracious and interesting hosts. Their kids are a lot of fun too. Even the dog is cool. The house is beautiful and restful. If you are into the ancient tombs and stones that cover this part of Ireland, there's a neolithic tomb almost right across the street.
The house is a bit up the hill from the town of Doolin. There are a couple great pubs down by the pier where you can hear music and talk to the locals. If you need a guide, Pat is a good guy to go to the pub with. Also, hen used to play professional sports so he's got some great stories. All in all, this is my favorite place to stay in Ireland.

One other thing I liked is that you can see the Blasket Islands from the farmhouse. If you do a day (or overnight) trip to the Blaskets, you can leave your car at Pat and Mary's place. This is a real Irish family, complete with the world-famous Irish friendliness.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good. Just tell Mary what sort of room layout you want.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple