“A little farmhouse...with Irish hospitality”

Doonagore Farmhouse
Ranked #26 of 56 Doolin B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stayed there almost a year ago and am just now getting to the review. This a very warm and welcoming family. Our daughter loved the donkey and the new little baby she had just had. We had a room that overlooked the donkeys and it couldnt have been more perfect for the baby. We did make a mistake of going out to see the other animals with the boys and the dog was quite excited about it and jumped up adn down and by the end of our tour I was covered in dirt/well not dirt. Since we had already been in Ireland about a week we had just laundered all of our clothes, but Mary offered to launder my clothes for me! They were ready for me the next morning clean and ready to go. The one downside that we did expereince here was that in the morning the house seemed to be full adn apparently everyone had showered early, so by the time I went there was no more hot water. Mary assured me that by the time I was done eating my breakfast that there would be hot water and she was right, so in the end it all worked out. We had so much fun staying at this working farm house. We only stayed one night, but the family was beyond friendly, I can see why they have been in buisineess for so long.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed January 5, 2012

I don't know how I managed to not write this review for almost a year. Oh well, better now than never I guess.

Mary and Pat Sweeney are gracious and interesting hosts. Their kids are a lot of fun too. Even the dog is cool. The house is beautiful and restful. If you are into the ancient tombs and stones that cover this part of Ireland, there's a neolithic tomb almost right across the street.
The house is a bit up the hill from the town of Doolin. There are a couple great pubs down by the pier where you can hear music and talk to the locals. If you need a guide, Pat is a good guy to go to the pub with. Also, hen used to play professional sports so he's got some great stories. All in all, this is my favorite place to stay in Ireland.

One other thing I liked is that you can see the Blasket Islands from the farmhouse. If you do a day (or overnight) trip to the Blaskets, you can leave your car at Pat and Mary's place. This is a real Irish family, complete with the world-famous Irish friendliness.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good. Just tell Mary what sort of room layout you want.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MJSpock
Reviewed August 25, 2011

My wife Pat and I stayed at the Doonagore Farmhouse in August 2010 and had a wonderful stay. Mary and Pat Sweeney are the owners/hosts and they are really great people. The location was convenient, located close to the music venues in Doolin and only a short ride to the spa town of Lisdoonvarna. Also, you can take a boat ride from Doolin over to the Aran Islands and pass by the magnificent Cliffs of Moher on the way back. Simply spectacular to view them from the water! Pat and I also drove up to Galway while we stayed at this B&B. The accommodations were very clean and comfortable and the breakfasts were delicious. Because it's a working cattle farm, we as city folk were treated to a lovely experience with all the animals around. Also fhe views down to the water were nothing short of spectacular. Pat and I would recommend the Doonagore Farmhouse to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We booked ahead for two nights for our family of four, but once we arrived, the boys begged for a third night. We enjoyed interacting with the family members and hearing about their life there. We also enjoyed Nettie the donkey, Daisy the dog and the two kittens.

Pat Sweeney was a wealth of local information and quite the character. Mary Is a delightful and warm hostess and was happy to make porridge when my husband inquired. Declan, the oldest teenaged son, was a kick and kept us laughing. He introduced us to a local Irish comedy show on television that had us all howling.

The rooms were comfy and homey with woodplank floors and country style pine furniture.
The soccer field in the front yard was a bonus for two boys looking to burn some energy.

Location is up the hill from Doolin, which offers a great views and appeals to a quieter crowd than the in-town B and Bs which appeal to the drinking crowd.

All in all, a delight!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank MDTraveler1964
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We were greeted with a friendly helpful welcome and a cuppa. The hosts and their family were all very friendly, knowledgable people and very happy to offer any assistance or advice if required.
The rooms was spacious with comfy beds, a magnificent view over the Cliffs of Moher. The location very close to the town centre, ferrys to the islands. If you are in to walking great starting point.
Highly recommend, The Turtons

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2011

The Sweeney family provided us with our first night in an Irish B&B. It was a fabulous experience, from the scenery, the sights and town of Doolin and the full irish breakfast fit for kings. Thanks to Mary and Pat! The website pictures are accurate and only give you a glimpse of the beautiful location. We would recommend this B&B wholeheartedly to our friends, and hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1 that has a gorgeous view!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2011

My fiance and I absolutely loved this B&B. It's in a great location for seeing the Burren, visiting Galway, going to the Aran Islands, seeing the Cliffs of Moher, etc. It's a bit outside of town, but it's a quick 5-minute drive to the main roads of Doolin, where there are a few shops and pubs. And it's perched on top of a hill; you can see the Aran Islands out in the Atlantic from either the back bedrooms or the back side of the house (which is on a working cow farm, by the way).

Mary and Patrick, the owners, couldn't have been friendlier. We got a crash course on the history of Ireland in the 20th century from Patrick and two of his sons the evening we arrived, which was pretty entertaining. They were super-friendly and happy to talk about all sorts of subjects and answer all of our questions. Mary cooks up one of the best breakfasts I've ever had. You just don't get breakfast like that here in the States. It's cooked to order, either full Irish or pick and choose what you want, plus cereals, coffee & tea, toast, and the most melt-in-your-mouth brown bread. I could have had a whole loaf of just that for breakfast. Shame I didn't get a chance to ask for the recipe before we left. She's also a great hostess, and though we didn't need any assistance during our stay, she did help another couple book a trip to the Aran Islands over breakfast and is obviously very knowledgeable about the area.

The room we had was spacious and clean, with newer-looking pine furniture. Very country, which suits the house well. The bed was really comfortable. The bathroom was a bit tight, but clean and in working order, which is important! Fabulous shower pressure and hot water, good for waking up in the morning.

One plus: it's not mentioned on their website, but they do offer free wifi. Good to note if you have a smartphone or a laptop/tablet!

Room Tip: Ask for a back bedroom for a view of the Atlantic.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple