“doolin diamond”

GreenLeadersGold level
Dublin, Ireland
“doolin diamond”
Reviewed October 8, 2011

from the moment we were checked in by a lovely helpful and friendly receptionist with an english accent until we checked out my wife and i had a fabulous experience in this hotel.all and i mean all the staff incl. restaurant, bar, reception,cafe, tourist shop, off licence,housekeeping(tks christina for the info on the linen) and management could not have been more helpful or courteous. the layout of the hotel was very imaginative and was designed with the guest in mind, keeping the bar as far away as possible from the bedrooms. the bedroom was large and spotless as was the bathroom. the food both at breakfast and at dinner in the evening was superb and was severed by very professional staff. even the food in the bar was top class with an extensive menu to choose from and was brought to us by smiling friendly staff. if i have 1 complaint it was that the chicken in the sambo was pan fried rather than roasted, boo hoo poor me. my advice, stay here its in a great location near the cliff of mohair and the burren great for touring around. also the experience was fab and the price? well the price was unbelievable for what we got, how they could do 3 nights b&b and 1 dinner for 159e each and make a profit is beyond us. will we go back? yes in a flash and are now planning when next summer we can arrange it.thanks doolin hotel we had a fab time and look forward to seeing you all soon. what a unique boutique with 18 bedrooms

Room Tip: the rooms run from 1-9 with 1 nearest the lift and 9 farthest away on both floors but all are quiet
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Donal M, General Manager at Hotel Doolin, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear Valerie,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We were delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and I have passed on your comments to all the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Doolin in the future. If you are making a return trip, please do not hesitate to contact me at dminihane@hoteldoolin.ie and I would be delighted to assist you in any way I can.

Best Regards

Hotel Doolin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Grimsby, Canada
Reviewed October 4, 2011

The staff was very good and the place was clean and central - at first it doesn't seem central but it is equal walkable distance to both ends of town where the grwat pubs are located. Be careful; walking the roads in the dark is a unique expeience although not much traffic to worry about.

• Stayed March 2011
Donal M, General Manager at Hotel Doolin, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
Dear Brian D,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Doolin on your recent holiday in Ireland. We were delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us. Please feel free to contact me personally if you are making a return trip to Doolin and I would be delighted to assist you.

Dublin
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Finally getting around to writing a review now that all the madness has died down. My husband and I got married here on August the 26th. From start to finish , the hotel were immense and nothing was too much effort. We checked in the Wednesday before, but from the first day we met them, Deirdre, Saurabh and Eric and all the bar/floor staff treated us as though we were friends. Every request was met no matter how off the wall it was!Some work had been underway in the function room before the wedding but nothing could have prepared me for how pretty it was on the day. Saurabh had arranged many little extras at no extra cost and even though the room is a little on the small side, approximately 120 people fitted comfortably in with the children accomadated in a seperate room at our request, where they were looked after like little royals.

The one thing that most guests commented on was the quality of the food, which at the price we were quoted per head was absolutely outstanding from the canapes, the meal and the afters...people were talking about it for weeks afterwards.There were an abundance of waiting and floor staff and a special mention must go to the wonderfully patient chap manning the resident's bar who despite all the mayhem, managed to keep his cool and remain good humoured throughout...

Saurabh, the wedding co-ordinator was a pleasure to deal with, he is matter of fact, calm, fun, and most of all, as the bride, if anything goes wrong, you don't find out about it.And he is the master of the "little extras". You get the feeling in this hotel, that they are a happy bunch and they all gel wonderfully as a team. At one point, I put my stiletto down through the back of my dress, and Saurabh offered 2 floor staff to accompany me back to my room to "sort it out" and remove the decorative grass stain, all whilst offering my hubby a drink.
The gardens looked lovely on the day too, and added greatly to our pictures. In addition, the hotel offered a very keen rate for the three days and we were spoilt for choice for surrounding accomodation options.

Doolin is a magical location for a wedding and overall, I cannot thank Doolin Hotel enough. You made our day unforgettable!!Thanks guys, we'll see you agin soon, P & D

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DublinTansey
Dear DublinTansey,

Thank you for letting us host your special day, we are delighted your wedding day with us was such a success. I have passed on your feedback to our team members you singled out for great service. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Doolin for you 1st anniversary dinner, in the meantime please contact me personally if you are returning to Doolin and I would be delighted to help you in any way I can.

dminihane@hoteldoolin.ie
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed September 27, 2011

A comfortable modern hotel in the historic town of Doolin. Clean and modern, comfy beds and everything you need for good night’s stay in Doolin. Within walking distance of a few cranking little local Irish pubs. We just rocked up to the reception were surprised with how cheap it was and the staff were so accommodating and very helpful with direction to local attraction. Only downside was the Wifi didn’t work in the rooms and I had to shoot down to the foyer to get a signal strong enough to connect. Would be keen to try a few of a the local BnB's if I went again but definitely would recommend the Hotel Doolin to anyone in the area for a few days.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Donal M, General Manager at Hotel Doolin, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Dear Inappropriatenz,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us at Hotel Doolin. We do apologise that you seemed to have trouble with our Wi-Fi while you were here, this matter has been resolved so as not to inconvenience any future guests. Once again, thank you for your feedback, please feel free to contact me directly if you should need any assistance on your next stay in Doolin. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Doolin in the future.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 27, 2011

What a fabulous hotel! Modern, yet warm and welcoming. The rooms are fabulously decorated, perfectly clean, with an eye to detail. The bathrobes are a great touch. On a planning trip in January 2011 to scout out hotels for my upcoming tour to Ireland for a group of American guests, the hotel went out of their way to ensure that my associate and I had some sandwiches and drinks upon our VERY late arrival. By the time we arrived, the restaurants in the town had closed so this was very welcome. The reception staff were most helpful and we had a good night's stay. Breakfast was excellent the following morning and the Doolin Hotel was a fine choice to put into my tour itinerary. Upon visiting in September, my group concurred that the Doolin Hotel was a fine, fine choice. We dined at the hotel restaurant, the food was good and the music great! My party raved about the breakfast and once again, the reception staff was friendly and helpful. Fiona was on duty when we checked out and was eager to know that we'd had a good stay. The only thing I'd change is to stay for more than one night! I'll certainly be back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Dear TheBestTours,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We were delighted to note your comments and I have passed your feedback onto the team. We're delighted you enjoyed the food, music, breakfast and warm welcome, these are the are the ingredients of true Irish Hospitality. We look forward to extending this welcome to you in the future and hope that you return to Hotel Doolin soon.

Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed September 15, 2011

My friend and I spent the night of Sept. 8th at this hotel. The front desk clerk checked us in and she told us our room, a local restaurant and the bar in the same building, but was not very friendly. We went out to McGann's and stayed until close. My friend still had some of her drink left so we moved out to the patio with some friends we had made and then decided to walk back up to the hotel for the night (about 12:45am). Upon arrival, the door was locked and we tried the doorbell. Then we noticed that there was a sign saying to call this phone number if the door was locked. Well, that would be fine if we had our cell phone with us, but since no one had told us this at check in, we did not. So we walked back down to the bar in the wind, cold and rain to see if the people we had met were still there and if we could borrow their cell phone. Luckily they were still there and we called. A gentleman answered and said oh sorry, the doorbell doesn't work, when will you be back? We told him in the 15-20 minutes it takes us to walk back up the hill (AGAIN). When we got back in, we were understandably mad, cold and wet. I explained to him that it was not his fault, but if there is a curfew in a hotel, we should be warned to take our phones. If those people hadn't still been at the bar, we would have had no where to stay and the car keys were in the room so sleeping in the car wasn't even an option. The gentleman who finally let us in after the 45 minute ordeal said he would put it in the overnight log. I went to the front desk in the morning to turn in my keys (we did not bother with breakfast) and stood there for a few minutes waiting for someone to come, but no one showed up, so I just left them. I would have expected some sort of contact about the issue by this point (14/9/2011), but have heard nothing. I finally e-mailed them today and their response was "sorry, we will get the doorbell fixed and train the staff better". I was able to overlook the pipes rattling after flushing the toilet, the fact that the front desk didn't tell us we needed to use our key for the electricity to work or the fact that the curtain sheers were filthy. Being locked out of a hotel I paid for is not.

Room Tip: Stay at Cullinan's Guest House, we heard great reviews from other travelers.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
11 Thank Michele D
Co_ClareFiona, Manager at Hotel Doolin, responded to this review, September 18, 2011
Dear Trip Advisor member,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. On behalf of everyone here, I am truly sorry that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us. Our hotel is manned 24 hours a day and it was indeed very unfortunate that on the night of your stay, that the hotel bell at the front door was not functioning. Our night porter is never too far away from the front desk and on that particular night, he did walk to the kitchen to drop off some crockery. Understandably you couldn't wait outside in the bad weather and I am sorry that you did not gain access when you needed to. Our night porter did indeed document your complaint but unfortunately the receptionist did not get an opportunity to chat with you the following morning to explain the situation. Our hotel is a small boutique property which allows our staff to deliver a more personal service to our guests . It would not be unusual to see our front of office staff leaving the desk to give a guest directions outside the exit door of the hotel or indeed getting an information leaflet from our inhouse tourist office. Our staff try very hard to exceed our guests expectations and thankfully this has been what other Trip advisor members have enjoyed in Hotel Doolin. Again I am sorry that this was not what you experienced too. We have taken on board your comments in relation to the curtain sheets and the water pipes and will be checking to ensure that our agreed standards are delivered in these areas to our guests. I would like to thank you again for highlighting our shortfalls in relation to your stay and I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to show you that this was a once off experience. In the hope that you are planning a return visit to Doolin, I would like you to contact me directly so that I can personally arrange your stay.
Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.
Kind regards,
Fiona Buckley Kitt
Ireland
Reviewed August 29, 2011

A really lovely hotel which had good food and music, friendly staff and fabulous rooms.
It is a quirky hotel with a tourist information office and shops all integrated into the hotel in a novel way. The rooms are well away from the bar and restaurant so there is no noise at night. Tea making facilities in the room would have made the hotel perfect.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor member,
i was so pleased to read that you loved your recent stay at Hotel Doolin. Thank you for your wonderful comments on our great food,music, rooms and our courteous staff. I am glad too that you liked the streetscape layout of our hotel which incorporates a cafe, restaurant, traditional irish pub and retail outlets. As Hotel Doolin is a traditional Irish village, we feel that our hotel, although contemporary in style blends very nicely with the traditional setting so we are delighted that you too liked our design and layout.
All our bedrooms do offer complimentary tea/coffee making facilities which are tucked away in the storage area of your bedroom. Our reception staff would have only been too pleased to highlight the location of it to you, had they been aware that you would have enjoyed this facility.
Thank you for taking the time to write this review which has been shared with the Management and staff and on behalf of everyone here, I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again.
Kind regards,
Fiona Buckley Kitt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doolin
Ballinalacken Castle Country House
#1 of 5 in Lahinch
Falls Hotel & Spa
Falls Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ennistymon

Been to Hotel Doolin? Share your experiences!